The Longest Journey Forums  

Go Back   The Longest Journey Forums > Dreamfall > The Winter

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
wandrew8
Script Pixie

Dreamfall Chapters: what we know

I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread to track what we know all in one place. I've also reserved the following 2 posts for further news. Let's try and keep at least this one thread on topic, shall we guys?

It goes without saying that, as this concerns the sequel to DF you should be on SPOILER ALERT if you haven't yet completed it.

EDIT: Twitter content moved here.

From the Funcom press release (1/11/12; thanks to RaMa for dropping this in my inbox. Made my morning!):
- Ragnar Tornquist has handed over duties as Game Director on The Secret World to Joel Bylos, while staying on as Creative Director. This is so he can devote time to his new studio, Red Thread Games, the first project of which will be Dreamfall Chapters.
- While Red Thread are licensed to produce TLJ, Funcom will retain the IP.
- Red Thread will focus on story-drivengames, for PC, Mac, iOs and Android.

RedThreadGames.com
1/11/12:
- Currently only a pass-locked page comes up
- The WhoIs for the page just lists Contact Privacy Inc., Toronto as the contact.
25/1/13:
- Site is live!
- First in-engine screenshot! Marcuria in Autumn
- There will be a forum

Norwegian Film Institute (1/11/12):
- the NFI has contributed NOK1million (about US$200,000), to a total budget of NOK5,823,472 (about US$1million).

From the RPS interview (1/11/12):
- Red Thread is currently only a small team, that will not poach anyone from Funcom.
- They will appeal for fund through Kickstarter
- They have funding from the Norwegian Film Institute (NFI) for a prototype, which they will spend the next few months producing (when DFC was first announced back in 2007, it had funding of about US$200K from the Norwegian Film Fund (NFF) to investigate online delivery of videogames as a way of circumventing piracy. It also put some money into DF. The NFF was amalgamated with other bodies into the NFI in 2008).
- Ragnar has a firm idea of where the story will end up. How it gets there is more open to collaboration once the team grows over the next 6 months.
- DFC will explore some new and interesting things with stories.
- As was disclosed when DFC was initially announced, it will continue directly on from DF.
- "Chapters" does not mean it will be episodic, rather it is more along the lines of 'chapters of one's life', etc.
- DFC will continue to explore the idea of heroes who are "more human and more lost", like April and Zoe.
- It will also focus on the growth of characters, both old and new.
- Ragnar believes that now is the right time for DFC, as people want (maybe smaller) "games with soul", that crowdfunding has made possible.
- DFC hopes to continue the tradition of being a single-player game you can play with others (ie. girlfriends, etc.), socially.
- DF will never be a multiplayer game.
- It is only confirmed for PC and Mac, although they're looking at other options
- Will talk about DFC for a few weeks, then "go silent" until they've got something to show "early next year" (presumably for a Kickstarter push).

Interview with Ellie Conrad Leigh - voice of Zoe (6/11/12; thanks to Marty McFly for finding this one)
- Ellie confirmed she would love to return as Zoe (although she now lives in Perth!)

Norwegian video interview (6/11/12) thanks to our own Norwegian for spotting this, and to KHH for digesting it for anglophones!):
- Ragnar expects the team to max out at 15 people in 6-9 months.
- Red Thread are currently working on their studio's logo.

RaMa
8/11/12:
- Our own RaMa said that Ragnar has confirmed DFC (like TLJ and DF) will be made up of 13 chapters (I didn't ask how he found out, and he didn't tell! )
14/1/13:
- Red Thread have launched a Facebook page. STILL no website, though!

Eurogamer interview (9/11/12; big thanks to Koveras for bringing this to my attention):
- Red Thread is currently made up of about 10 people. Given that they weren't poached from Funcom, this may include DF script collaborator Dag Scheve, and DF soundtrack composer Leon Willett.
- after DFC, would probably work on a new story, before returning to TLJ universe for more games.
- Ragnar would not be drawn on a target budget, and was still vague when his interview threw "$1million" into conversation. He did say it would be "reasonably" large, long and polished, but they were a lean, mean, independent team and could do it for cheaper than others. Which means..?
- Red Thread will also contribute their own money to getting DFC off the ground.
- definitely won't take more than 2 years to make
- DFC will not be point-and-click, but "a full 3D affair".
- definitely not episodic.
- Ragnar never personally wanted to do an online TLJ. Is a bit over MMO's, and will gradually pull back from TSW.
- no combat.
- WASD and mouse controls, for "immersion". Will try to make them less "clunky".
- emphasis on making it as "alive" as TLJ.
- will allow more exploration, and be more interactive than DF.
- many of the same actors will be approached.

Pressfire.no interview (21/11/12: thanks to our own Crow's Fan for translating this)
- the initial funding from the Norwegian Film Fund was returned in 2007.
- if they don't get the funds they want on Kickstarter, things will be heavily delayed.
- will tend away from episodic adventures such as from Telltale (although enjoyed Walking Dead), towards having more exploration (Ragnar likes Assassin's Creed). Important to balance this with dramatic pacing in parts (which requires less freedom).
- trying to combine gameplays of TLJ and DF.
- Uncharted 2 is the game Ragnar wishes he'd written.
- They plan to make a Norwegian version, and Ragnar laughed when asked if "SynnÝve SvabÝ and the gang" would return.
- Talking to 1 of the 3 big console producers about DFC.
- More likely to develop for iPad than smartphones.

Polygon article (14/12/12; thanks iamsteve):
- Zoe will feature.
- Different art style to TLJ & DF.
- No focus field.
- They have a working (though no doubt incomplete) prototype.
- Game to be separated into 3 "books", themed around seasons and life phases. Starts with Spring ends with Winter (with Summer or Autumn in between? I'm guessing "Fall". )
- Each book will feel different as the characters change and grow (one book for each character?).
- "It's really a game about growing up, growing into your role, into yourself."
- Will leave some questions unanswered, including what happened between TLJ & DF.
- Will conclude the story that DF began, but room for more in TLJ saga. Including War of the Balance.
- Would not confirm Sarah Hamilton's return, but has access to most actors.
- Red Thread's designers have invested in the start-up out of their own pockets.
- The name 'Red Thread' is a play on 'red herring', and the narrative thread that runs through their games.
- Red Thread will be at 17/18 employees by the end of 2013. "20 people tops".

Last edited by wandrew8; 01-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.
wandrew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
wandrew8
Script Pixie

[Reserved for future content.]

Last edited by wandrew8; 12-21-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
wandrew8
Script Pixie

[Reserved for future content 2.]
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
FohxMe
Dreamworld Member

Quote:
Intentions changed and today, Tornquist told me, "The nature of Dreamfall Chapters and the nature of the story means that we really want to have one big meaty game with a full story with a full conclusion that wraps up everything everybody has been waiting for." And just to be clear, he stressed: "No episodic gaming."
I understand that he's said it's no longer episodic, but I didn't think it was the absolute last game...! He made it sound so final with that hideous word "conclusion"!

Quote:
Initially the focus will be on completing Dreamfall Chapters for PC and Mac, because that's where Tornquist believes The Longest Journey fans are. That done, other options can be explored: tablets, perhaps console. He told me "we are in early discussions with at least one of the big console manufacturers".
Ooo, early negotiations with a big console? By the time its released, I'm certain all new gen consoles will be out.

Last edited by FohxMe; 11-10-2012 at 07:36 AM.
FohxMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
ravenwoods
Dreamer

I think it is the conclusion for the Dreamfall story arc, not The Longest Journey. So, it is Zoe's story and what dreamers are etc. It think, depending on the success of the game, he might go onto making TLJ 3 which would talk about the reunification of the worlds etc. Pick up the pieces from TLJ 1 arc.

There is so much lore to this world, it needs to be heavily merched through comics/graphic novels, animation and such! Games are not enough. Like pre-April periods, before the divide period, after the unification, during unification, events right after TLJ, collapse, Brian's story and his journey in Arcadia! So much stuff to cover!
ravenwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
FohxMe
Dreamworld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwoods View Post
There is so much lore to this world, it needs to be heavily merched through comics/graphic novels, animation and such! Games are not enough. Like pre-April periods, before the divide period, after the unification, during unification, events right after TLJ, collapse, Brian's story and his journey in Arcadia! So much stuff to cover!
I agree 100%, but in the interview Ragnar says
Quote:
With our next game after Dreamfall Chapters hopefully we can do that by starting something completely new. That's not saying there won't be any more games in The Longest Journey universe. There might be. But the next game after Dreamfall Chapters will probably be something completely fresh and new. That's something we're thinking in the backs of our minds, but it's not something we're going to focus on for the next couple of years
The TLJ universe will be taking a back seat after Chapters is complete, that much is obvious.. and if they leave it "concluded" than they won't feel an obligation, like they do now having given us the major cliffhangers from DF, to return to TLJ because they will be immersed in the new worlds they create.

Now that I think about it, though, I would absolutely LOVE a new single-player adventure game from Ragnar. That'd be amazing all on its own. I just hope TLJ won't be forgotten about.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
wandrew8
Script Pixie

Quote:
Yes. Get all ME/DA on their arses.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Dr. Kin
Dreamworld Member

Quote:
Only requirement is that Ragnar should make/supervise all of these. In other case it would be just official fanfiction, albeit something of this may be a good one.
But another downside of such possible expansion is that such growth of material (plots, storylines) can wash out and diminish ideas of the original.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Miral
Random Lurker

I was thinking about doing one of these, but since you saved me the effort: I have applied some thread glue to it.

Just remember guys: this is technically the non-spoiler forum. While DF spoilers are kinda moot at this point, it'd be nice to stick to the theme.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Norwegian

Ragnar said on a norwegian interwiew some days ago that Dreamfall Chapters will probably come out in 2014. Ragnar is now working on his own Game company called Red Thread Games but he is still part of Funcom.
Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
RaMa
Dreamworld Member

Nice initiative, wandrew. I hadn't read that Eurogamer interview yet. Good read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrew8 View Post
Yes. Get all ME/DA on their arses.
Please, no little anime statues!

www.ThirteenChapters.net
Your personal Shift to a world of knowledge
RaMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
AstralTraveller
evolutionary sleeper

Great idea, I'll be a regular consumer here!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Dazz
Balance dreamer

Just decided to drop in on the forums; it's been a while since I was here... and apparently some good news.
I haven't read all the new speculations yet - and probably I won't. But at least now I know Ragnar has shifted to the TLJ universe again.

I'll just wait and see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrew8 View Post
- Our own RaMa said that Ragnar has confirmed DFC (like TLJ and DF) will be made up of 13 chapters (I didn't ask how he found out, and he didn't tell! )
Yep, Ragnar mentioned thirteen chapters. (More tea, Ragnar?)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
KHH
Remember

I just thought I'd mention the high lights from the interview Norwegian mentioned elsewhere. Not much new there, but a few things

- They have acquired not only the right to produce games set in The Longest Journey universe, but also to "do other things", which they intend to do.
- (Still) Continues just where Dreamfall ended
- Intends to launch within two years
- Have a core team in place
- Expects the team producing Dreamfall Chapters to reach roughly 15 people, and that it will do so in 6 - 9 months
Does it simply overwhelm.
KHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
wandrew8
Script Pixie

Thanks!

And please let me know if I miss anything from his Twitter feed.