The Longest Journey Forums  

Go Back   The Longest Journey Forums > The Guardians Realm > Dreamfall

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Dawoodoz

Exclamation Starforce for Windows 7

I have installed Dreamfall the longest journey on a pre release of Windows 7 professional and the copy protection is blocked due to incompability.
The developers of the starforce protection sais that the version used by the game it too old to be updated by the standard patch and requires a special Windows 7 patch from each game developer.
Dawoodoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
KHH
Remember

Are you certain it can't work? The protection.exe file in my Dreamfall directory reports that it's version 3.07.016.001, which starforce claims that they support. I can not recall updating it before.
http://www.star-force.com/support/users/windows7/
Does it simply overwhelm.
KHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Miral
Random Lurker

If you have one of the editions that supports it, try running the game in Windows XP Mode.
Miral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Dawoodoz

I have the professional version who can run in compability mode but I can't choose to run a driver in compability mode when it's loaded automatically. After installing starforce, I have to restart the computer and after I have restarted my computer, I have to restart the computer.... [Infinite loop]

I also have version 3.7.16.1 but it's not supported for Windows 7 and can't be upgraded any further because they remade the interface. Windows 7 has a new architecture who can't support the old system at such a low level.

Last edited by Dawoodoz; 09-09-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Miral
Random Lurker

The restart->restart loop is a symptom of the bug that the SF driver update should fix. (At least it does on 2003/Vista.)

And my understanding is that the XP mode is a full VM, so you should be able to install drivers into it. Just make sure you run the installer in XP mode as well.
Miral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Dawoodoz

The SF update didn't work for me in Windows 7. The compability mode looks like the one in XP but is powered by emulating each application under the surface and showing them on the same desktop with different styles on the borders.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
GalMaal

I'm having similar issues in win 7 Home Premium - has any one tried dodging the sf problem with a no-cd? KHH, elsewhere I noticed you posted that you had one that worked... so far I'm yet to find one!
GalMaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
KHH
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalMaal View Post
I'm having similar issues in win 7 Home Premium - has any one tried dodging the sf problem with a no-cd? KHH, elsewhere I noticed you posted that you had one that worked... so far I'm yet to find one!
Yeah... I found an update that ought to work, but I don't know if it does. When I installed Dreamfall on my Windows 7 x64 Professional, I forgot about the problem and it fucked something up, and made the computer run a system roll-back. Therefore when I reinstalled Dreamfall afterwords, I skipped the whole starforce deal and went straight to the no-cd patch. That worked perfectly.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
GalMaal

Good news! Can you share how you got it working in step by step idiot language? I just seem to be pulling blanks on getting anything running.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
KHH
Remember

It's fairly easy.
Now, for a long time I haven't given out how to find the no-cd patch, but as pirates already have one, it's only really the legitimate buyers who needs to know. And due to this starforce error, they really do need to know.
1. Install the game (do not install the starforce driver)
1.1 If you have already installed the starforce driver, do one of the following
1.1.1 Open a terminal (run cmd) and navigate to your dreamfall folder. type 'protect.exe /drv:remove'
1.1.2 Download the driver removal tool from their official site, and run the sfdrvrem.exe file.
2. Go to http://www.gamecopyworld.com/ and find Dreamfall.
3. Download "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey v1.03 [MULTI] Fixed EXE" (don't bother with the patch the file links to, it isn't needed and has been known to screw things up on non-french editions)
4. Extract the dreamfall.exe file from the archive (using a tool like winrar or 7zip)
5. Put the dreamfall.exe file in your dreamfall directory. You might want to rename the original first.
You're done. Enjoy.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
GalMaal

That seems to have done it. Awesome, thank you. Word of warning to those that might follow on this journey - following the links to the no-cd seemed to caused my virus-scan to flick up a couple of warnings, indeed they still seem to be flashing up - about to run a full scan now. The no cd itself, however, scanned clean. Make of that what you will. Interestingly though, all my saves seem to have disappeared as well - don't know if that's related.

-- full scan finished, nothing found after the half a dozen (ish) alerts were quarantined.

Last edited by GalMaal; 10-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Voodooman

Send a message via ICQ to Voodooman Send a message via MSN to Voodooman
Thumbs down

Thx to the pirates for fixing problems of legal owners... shame for Funcom for aint releasing patch.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Agapitos
Dreamworld Member

Cool

I know it's a bit old thread, but since I've seen many guests viewing it these days, yeah I watch you all, there is an official solution for this.

Download and install the latest North-American patch for the game, no matter which version you own. It will get rid of the Starforce protection system.
Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
jprc

Location: Southern Africa, Far Asia, a bit in Western Europe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapitos View Post
I know it's a bit old thread, but since I've seen many guests viewing it these days, yeah I watch you all, there is an official solution for this.

Download and install the latest North-American patch for the game, no matter which version you own. It will get rid of the Starforce protection system.
Enjoy!
Indeed, it is good news.
I bought this game for my wife, 5 years ago, and never played it.
As I am a bit bored by some recent games, I have decided to install this adventure game and play it... unfortunately I ran into trouble and this thread solved it.
Thank you!!!
jprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
WorldsReunited
Keeper of the Black Flame

Starforce was created by the devil... No really... it's true...