Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Do you go through all dialog options and all objects?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3

    Do you go through all dialog options and all objects?

    I find it a bit tedious to manually go through every option to make progress. I know I may be missing the point of the game, but is there a way to make the game play less mechanical and more, well, flowing?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Random Lurker Miral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,744
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

    Also, you don't need to go through every option and object -- there is typically a specific dialogue option or object required to progress at any given time, and that is usually available from the outset. However you miss out on a lot of story if you just rush through the dialogue trying to get to the next part of the game. It's not really how you're intended to play.
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

  3. #3
    evolutionary sleeper
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    between the wheels
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirg View Post
    I find it a bit tedious to manually go through every option to make progress. I know I may be missing the point of the game, but is there a way to make the game play less mechanical and more, well, flowing?

    Thanks!
    Well, adventure games have dialog puzzles and item puzzles, so there's not really a way to avoid them. If you want to focus on the story, I'd recommend watching a Let's Play on youtube.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    Also, you don't need to go through every option and object -- there is typically a specific dialogue option or object required to progress at any given time, and that is usually available from the outset. However you miss out on a lot of story if you just rush through the dialogue trying to get to the next part of the game. It's not really how you're intended to play.
    How would you know what is the key dialog option or object without going through all options (and without using a walkthrough)? Aren't you going through every possible option before moving on? I was under the impression that this is the intended way to play the game, I'm just not sure it offers the best gameplay. It feels a bit like working rather than playing...

    Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    Well, adventure games have dialog puzzles and item puzzles, so there's not really a way to avoid them. If you want to focus on the story, I'd recommend watching a Let's Play on youtube.
    Thanks for mentioning Let's Play. I was unaware of the concept.

  5. #5
    evolutionary sleeper
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    between the wheels
    Posts
    1,492
    In 70-80% of the cases, the dialog option that lets you progress is obvious. Sometimes you have to click several of them to uncover some new clue.

    In general, games have long dialog trees for one or more of the following reasons:
    - Humour (see Monkey Island)
    - Environment and character background
    - Making the game longer

    In TLJ, the middle option is predominant, going through more and more dialogs slowly uncovers what a fascinating character April is. To me, it never felt like some options are only there to lengthen the game.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •