Thread: WATIcorp's motivations

WATIcorp's motivations

Hi guys, a long time lurker here and I've finally decided to make an account.

Since I've replayed Dreamfall recently, getting ready for Chapters, I started questioning WATIcorp's motivations when Damien so politely dumped exposition on me in their HQ. They want to control all people everywhere... why exactly? Why would the most successful *entertainment* corporation in the world want to brainwash people? More money seems pointless, because they never mention being strapped for cash or anything. This is a *huge* plot point - after all that is what they built Eingana for.

I've noticed many little details that are bugging me on this playthrough, but this is the one that most stuck out to me. Sorry if this has been discussed, I've used search, but I didn't find anything.

Well, there's two obvious reasons:

1. Peats is over two centuries old, and a bit of a control freak. Why wouldn't he want to control everyone?

2. It's not unreasonable to assume that there might be some sort of tie-in to the Vanguard, who we already know want to control everything.

Also, most corporations want more and more money, even if they're rolling in it.
    Last edited by Miral; 01-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your livesÖbe somewhere else!"

Dreamworld Member
    Maybe eating people's dreams is the only way he can live. He's a dream vampire! Like Miral said, he's over 200 years old, there's only so much technology can do to keep him alive.
    "I'm leaving soon, but I'm not afraid. If death is the end, I know that our dreams remain behind." -ZoŽ Castillo
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    Well, there's two obvious reasons:

1. Peats is over two centuries old, and a bit of a control freak. Why wouldn't he want to control everyone?

2. It's not unreasonable to assume that there might be some sort of tie-in to the Vanguard, who we already know want to control everything.

Also, most corporations want more and more money, even if they're rolling in it.
    1. Because he's probably dead now. Gilmore is so vapid and she has no character whatsoever, so it's not like it's obvious she wants to control everyone. (since she's the one in charge of WATIcorp now that she has killed Peats (probably))

2. Maybe, but they've never indicated that they are involved with the Vanguard in any way and I don't think they are even mentioned in DF anywhere.

Money is always a motive, but it's so superficial I *don't want* that to be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FohxMe View Post
    Maybe eating people's dreams is the only way he can live. He's a dream vampire! Like Miral said, he's over 200 years old, there's only so much technology can do to keep him alive.
    He's probably dead now, so that's not on the table anymore.

Talking

I think it could be that WatiCorp's motivations are to merge the twin worlds and dominate with both science, logic and magic...keeping the use of magic restricted to the ruling class/securing Vanguard as ruling class. I think it's a power thing. With Cortez implicated as being very integral to the Undreaming/Dreamer cycle by Ragnar and him being one of the Kin allocated to Stark, I suspect there are ties there with Eingana (this theory was brought up by a poster on RTG forum - forget their name). Peats being, at the time, a couple of centuries old is/was probably aware in some fashion of the twin worlds, Kin etc. How this knowledge came to him? Dunno. It was enough for him to start this major endeavor. Westhouse is also centuries old and was the catalyst for the undreaming initiated by Cortez. There's a lot of ties here that we don't quite have enough information to form a fully realized timeline or connections but with what we do have and plenty speculation one can definitely say with certainty that WatiCorp's true motivations are far more nefarious and multi-threaded to be written off to simple corporate greed or rabblerousers. Just thoughts
    "I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL ...
    BUT I AM SHOUTING NONETHELESS"

Dreamfall recap released by RTG and some info from Chapters revealed that Azadi are behind Dream Conspiracy. Azadi are going to harvest dreams to reshape reality. WATIcorp is just used for Stark's side of conspiracy.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    Basically, we've got the confirmation for a very old theory. Except for the "reshape the reality" part, I don't remember if anyone ever suggested that.
    Then again, "reshaping reality" is vague enough to be in line with more than one theory
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't really change anything, since we don't have those theories, we're just left with many possibilities about which we have no idea. Just like before.
    That's what I was getting at, yes.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.