Thread: The game and the real history

The game and the real history

The story of the game may be based on actual truths, completely realizable by the science of those times and of today.
    There are references to Tibet made in the game and the English character Westhouse is presented as taking part in a ritual involving Tibetan monks.
    However, as notable events in Tibet's history, there were some British Government invasions of Tibet(1888, 1903-1904) that really disturbed the peace there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet
    In 1914 the Tibetan government signed the Simla Accord with Britain, ceding the South Tibet region to British India.
    This can explain why Westhouse could have been accepted in the ritual, improper equipped(in contrast with the Tibetan monks).
    Last edited by awakedream; 04-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Foreigners still would have been an unusual sight in the mountain monasteries though, I'd imagine. But no more unusual than Mandarin-speaking Tibetan monks in the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by wandrew8 View Post
    Foreigners still would have been an unusual sight in the mountain monasteries though, I'd imagine. But no more unusual than Mandarin-speaking Tibetan monks in the 30's.
    I didn't find in the game a reference to an explicit location in Tibet, so the mountainous(almost sure, Himalayan) blizzard revealed in the end of Dreamfall may hint to the South Tibet.
    If so, then due to the sovereign power during those times(1914-1950) in South Tibet not being anymore the Tibetan government, in the ceased South Tibet territory the ritual could have been held in any form, including: costumes, sets, behaviors and spoken languages other than standard Tibetan.

Tibetan serves as a liturgical language in Tibetan Buddhism, but I imagine that might not always hold for the Vanguard.

An accurate resemblance of Vanguard in our today world can be that part of it which uses the latest science discoveries, to precisely control the world and not for good of humanity as it is presented in many tv science shows.
    However, as a good side, a real world has it's ways to automatically adjust the balance, though a conscious involvement would adjust it much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    You suppose they were connected to the Vanguard?
    Sure, why not?

You suppose they were connected to the Vanguard?
    It seems unlikely, given that Chavez/Cortez seems opposed to the Vanguard, and he was the one who led Brian there. Unless maybe somehow Brian was a way to sabotage their plans?
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

OR, let's consider the time. Cortez is, or seems to be, against the Vanguard in 23rd century. The scene in Tibet happens in twentieth, was he against the Vanguard from the very beginning? The deviation from the original philosophy may not have been drastic, but smooth transition instead. Perhaps there was a stage at which their ideas were still good, or perhaps even better than those of the original Sentinels. Isn't it possible for Cortez to be supportive instead of opposing at that stage?
    Not impossible, I suppose, but it seems unlikely. It kinda feels like the falling-out between the Red and the Green has been going on for quite a long time, and we know that many of the Vanguard-controlled companies have been around for quite a long time too.

Also, I don't think it would have been a smooth transition. Generally splinter groups start with a fairly significant departure from their parent group's identity -- otherwise they tend to get reabsorbed.
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

What does "improper equipped" mean in this case?
    I meant, dressed other than with the traditional robes worn by the monks. I think that the Tibetan monks consider the costume to be closely devoted to their monastic life, so that they wouldn't generally allow all kinds of clothing during some of their rituals.

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    Also, I don't think it would have been a smooth transition. Generally splinter groups start with a fairly significant departure from their parent group's identity -- otherwise they tend to get reabsorbed.
    Sometimes true, but definitely not always. Religious groups, especially when geographically isolated from one another and given a few centuries., have a tendency to slowly change. Give them a few millennia, and they'll certainly drift.

I imagine the 'traditional' Sentinel in Stark may have schismed away from the Vanguard themselves rather abruptly at some point, however.

Cortez and McAllen are brothers, they are the two dragons(red and green) so maybe at the beginning Cortez join the Vanguard but then when he saw what McAllen was thinking he quit and join the others side of the fight of the Balance(the Sentinel). I don't know much about history of Tibet so i couldn't say more, but i don't know why this clip was in the end of DF, instead of the begin of TLJ.

Maybe Brian Westhouse will be a playable characters or maybe we will see the history of April Ryan from his point of view, that would be nice!

From TLJ it seems like Cortez only suspected that McAllen was the head of the Vanguard, but didn't really know it. He says he didn't imagine mcAllen hiding among men.
    This brings yet another question: when did McAllen actually join the Vanguard: was he the started, or did he join after that?
    Yes, you right! Maybe he hide the truth to April 'cause she should know by herself who vanguard is and who leads it, but this complicated a little more this topic.

And April is child of White Draic Kin and the new White Dragon call her sister and she is not a dragon...the history is hard to understand.

Jeez, you make ONE off-handed joke about the Vanguard...

Speaking about history, China, British Empire and judgement-affecting substances, it definitely needs be mentioned this tiny, little event, a cause for a century of freedom loss.
    Last edited by awakedream; 05-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincy85 View Post
    Yes, you right! Maybe he hide the truth to April 'cause she should know by herself who vanguard is and who leads it, but this complicated a little more this topic.

And April is child of White Draic Kin and the new White Dragon call her sister and she is not a dragon...the history is hard to understand.
    Talk about convoluted. Cortez makes it clear that he's pro-human, and McAllen doesn't like to think of living in the shadow of mankind. Where the manipulation begins in all of this, I have no idea where to begin with that thought.

Also, I've gone through that scene with McAllen and Cortez dishing it out, and from what it sounds like, these two have never really gotten along.

But what would I know about having a 12-millennia-long relationship with my brother? :P
    Last edited by Fizzlebee; 05-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    2032 Camaros = more fun than boys
    Triple-strength Raptures = mind-blowingly spectacular...and messy!