Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who didn't like Zoe?

Hear hear, Dmm No wonder we're all looking forward to Chapters.

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmm View Post
    I like how the three protagonists in Dreamfall evoke such strong feelings either for or against. Whether we like them or not is really unimportant, the fact that we even care about them only goes to show how successful Ragnar is in bringing in game characters to life. Hurrah for April's self-pity, Zoe's whiny & incessant complaining and good old wishy-washy Kian. All full of annoying and very unlikable qualities and dare I say just like people in real life. Myself, I'll take these characters any day over cookie cutter heroines and heroes.
    I couldn't agree more Dmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    Not necessarily... Remember, some people passionately hate Twilight
    And so they should.
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

evolutionary sleeper
    There isn't much difference. That's called bringing it up whenever there's a chance.
    Could be, or could be that she's just responding. I don't know, as there's no proof (or even indication) either way. Maybe if we ask Ragnar what Zoe's approach is intended to be?

Argh, I MUST lock you up with my aunt.
    No you needn't. I know exactly what you're talking about - that's why I'm saying that the comparison isn't fair

I like how the three protagonists in Dreamfall evoke such strong feelings either for or against. Whether we like them or not is really unimportant, the fact that we even care about them only goes to show how successful Ragnar is in bringing in game characters to life. Hurrah for April's self-pity, Zoe's whiny & incessant complaining and good old wishy-washy Kian. All full of annoying and very unlikable qualities and dare I say just like people in real life. Myself, I'll take these characters any day over cookie cutter heroines and heroes.
    Yep, they're fleshed out well and they are real enough. Kian is quite thoroughly proved to be a... well, you know
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

evolutionary sleeper
    he said she's spoiled and bored :P And promised she would mature in Chapters, which implies she wasn't in DF :P
    I never argued if she was spoiled and bored - she certainly was. What we're arguing about is whether she's spoiled and bored in an introverted way, or in an offensively extroverted (even exhibitionist) way...

Yes it is :P The likeness is too great
    ... and here we can agree to disagree

*comes back* He's NOT! *throws a rotten skyscraper*
    Indeed he is! * stands boldly, chest to the wind, etc. *
    (expl: in my current mental state, a rotten skyscraper would definitely count as an environmental improvement. so bring it!)
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

evolutionary sleeper
    She talks about her feelings and depression to every single person and yet you think there's a chance she may be introverted? oO
    Quna, you keep ignoring the fact that people ask her about this stuff. It's not like:
    "Hey, the weather is fine today!"
    "Yeah, but the sky is kind of a sad colour of blue, and I still don't know where my life is heading. Depressing, isn't it?"

Introverted does not equal mute, and also does not equal apathetic.

Nope, we can't
    Whee, then we have a highly volatile situation! Now what?

O..O What... state may you be in???
    Ah, you know, I just can't seem to figure out what to do with my life...
    No, seriously, it's been a rough week, and I feel that all the wrinkles have disappeared from my brain. Hmmmm. Braaaaaaains...

Not necessarily... Remember, some people passionately hate Twilight
    People hate twilight, though. They don't hate... whatever the characters are called.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

I like how the three protagonists in Dreamfall evoke such strong feelings either for or against. Whether we like them or not is really unimportant...
    Unimportant? She totally turned me off to the series. Just from a monetary standpoint alone I'd say that's important, not to mention the artistic failure of making a fan not even want to see the ending of a story.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    I never argued if she was spoiled and bored - she certainly was. What we're arguing about is whether she's spoiled and bored in an introverted way, or in an offensively extroverted (even exhibitionist) way...
    Yes, well she certainly has the exhibitionist side to her (i.e. David A's voicemail)

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish64 View Post
    Yes, well she certainly has the exhibitionist side to her (i.e. David A's voicemail)
    I honestly think you're reading too much into these snippets.

That would be just plain stupid. That's not how the extroverts behave. The fact that you're been asked doesn't mean you'll answer. Introverted answers: "I'm fine". Or, "not great, but fine". excluding a very very close person with whom she hasn't talked about it at least for a long while. And extremely extroverted person is the one that, as soon as asked, as soon as given a chance, will pour out everything. You just KNOW you shouldn't ask them about it unless you're ready to hear another monologue about their feelings.
    Introverted - keep to yourself mostly.
    Extroverted - make everyone involved whether thy like it or not
    Ah, we're closer to the root now - what is introvert and what is extrovert? Being introverted doesn't mean a lack of need to share stuff about oneself - it means suppressing it, for whatever reason. Your definition only covers the initiative part (in a very simplified manner), but not the reaction part. Introverts can launch into quite lengthy monologues about themselves if prompted properly (right person, right words, right circumstances, etc.). Also depending on their state of mind, just a single innocent question can start the stream.

skyscrapers?
    But, wait, you gotta know that violence is... not... the... ans...
    Ah damn, of course it is. Banzai!

Screw you!
    Uh, zombie should have seen that coming. Zombie be more cautious next time.

Now you're talking. Let's sing together. I'm just a looonely zoooombiiiiie
    Zombie feels introverted, so does not wanna sing. Unless someone gives zombie a brain. Then zombie will sing and also dans.

evolutionary sleeper
    It mostly depends on people.
    Yep, this is the key. The rest is a matter of moving the frontline between the two opinions, but the key is that it depends on the person. And some of our assumptions in that area differ about Zoe.

That's what I'm talking about!!! When was the last time we fought with skyscrapers around here? *happily throws a whole bunch aimlessly*
    I do think "skyscraper throwing" would make an excellent flash game

Zombie do the monkey?
    Zombie do any animal for nice juicy brain.

I'd try and add something to the discussion the two of you are having, but ... I don't know who's right.

That's what I'm talking about!!! When was the last time we fought with skyscrapers around here? *happily throws a whole bunch aimlessly*
    It mostly stopped after Kat left. Is kinda sad.
    April Ryan is my friend,

Try the first thing that comes to your head (no matter how unrelated it is)
    Pancakes. And I think the distinction is that for introverts being social cost you energy, while for extrovert it gives you energy. But going by that we can't quite tell which ZoŽ is. But she seems extrovert to me.

And why did such a sad thing happen?
    I don't know. Did anyone send her a PM and tell her about the chapters kickstarter? I sent messages to a few of the other old timers, but I forgot her.
    April Ryan is my friend,

Well this thread got a bit sidetracked, but seriously, how could anyone argue that Zoe was not a raging extrovert? An introvert would never vomit her soul all over everyone the way she did in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    I honestly think you're reading too much into these snippets.
    Really, how so?

evolutionary sleeper
    No no, you misunderstood. what I meant was it depends on what kind of people you talk to. Introverts want to share but depends with whom they're going to share. Dad, best friend, not best friend, trainer, ex-boyfriend, cute-guy-I-just-met, some-dragon-person-I've-just-met - all in a matter of week has a big "No introverts here! Move along!" sign.
    OK - I think the only odd one out is the White, because by the time she just met the cute guy, she was quite severely shaken up (life in danger, etc.), so you can give her a break there
    I promise I check the conversation with the White, I imagine that can be a valid point.

Should we sell the idea to RTG?
    Umm. Do you want a skyscraper throwing game with deep and introspective characterisation? I think this kind of game is more up the alley of Gearbox or ID

Monkey first.
    Nah. Just because zombie got no brain, do not think zombie is dumb.

Well this thread got a bit sidetracked, but seriously, how could anyone argue that Zoe was not a raging extrovert? An introvert would never vomit her soul all over everyone the way she did in this game.
    On the how, check the posts above. I put up quite a few arguments - you may not like them, but they are still arguments.

Really, how so?
    Let's turn things around a bit. Show me one conversation in the game where Zoe is "vomiting" her soul on anyone for longer than 3 minutes. I know a few "raging extrovert" girls (I was also dating one earlier), and it's kinda difficult to get rid of them within half an hour if you don't want to offend them. So how does that measure up?