Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who didn't like Zoe?

Am I the only one who didn't like Zoe?

Seriously, am I the only one? I mean, the game starts off with her having some kind of quarter-life crisis, dropping out of school, basically quitting on everything including her boyfriend whom she still "loved to death" but things were moving too fast... seriously what the hell has that ever meant? Plus in the beginning when she meets up with Reza she wants to know all about who he's going out with because "they're past that" even though she never actually seems to ask him if he is. Then she finally decides to commit to something (finding Reza) except once she finds out what happened to Faith she quits and goes back home. Plus she goes on about how she can't feel anything, feels lost, no purpose, but hey this Damien guy has a sexy accent so even though I've literally known him for only a couple hours, I totally want him when this is over... uhm, what? Sorry, but I couldn't relate to this person at all.

I played TLJ after Dreamfall Chapters went up on Kickstarter at the recommendation of a friend and backed it as soon as I finished the game. Now I just finished Dreamfall, and realizing that I have to deal with more of this protagonist, I had to cancel my pledge.

It's too bad that you felt like you had to cancel your pledge. I'm not the world's biggest Zoe fan either, but I get where she's coming from a little bit. She's in that early-20s stage of life where you haven't quite figured out who you are -- where your choices to that point make you say "I don't know what I want, but I know this isn't it."

I like the TLJ world enough to have replayed Dreamfall a couple times, and I found her more relatable on future playthroughs, but yeah, her ennui is a little over-the-top.

I hope you reconsider -- at least keep an open mind when Chapters comes out, and consider renting/buying it then? It is an awesome universe, and I'm sure the story will be worth your time.

They promised a grown up Zoe for this one. So you won't be dealing with the exact protagonist from the dreamfall.

To be honest I can understand where Zo is coming from. And during the live stream several people talked about how the identified with Zo. She not a bad character, she was just going through a difficult period during the time we met her in Dreamfall. All she does makes sense in this context.

However this is a series that is all about the character development. Expect Zo to change.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

I felt a lot like she did when I first played DF so I guess I related to her somewhat. Some of the things she did did seem immature but none of them were "bad deeds" so to speak so it didn't bother me at all. And I really admired her persistence to help Reza.
    Going back home at the end isn't because of finding out what happened to Faith, it's because there were no more clues. Her last link to Reza was Damien, and the last clue he sent led to the Russian factory, which (as far as the search for Reza was concerned) was a dead end. It made sense to go home rather than wander around the world just in case Reza turned up somewhere.

Well I liked Zoe right from the beginning, just as much as April. Everybody has their short comings, so what? That is what make the character relate-able, these very flaws which are not endearing. The fact that she put her life in danger for a friend trumps any of her short comings. The impression Blowfish64 got was that Zoe just quit searching for Reza and went home. My impression was that she had hit a wall in her search and went home to recoup and decide her next course of action.

Zoe's growing up story was always intended to be covered in two games. So right now you have only seen half of it.

Personally I liked Ze. After all, I'm guessing most of us on the forums have a pretty privileged lifestyle. We have computers or other ways of accessing the internet. I presume that we have enough food and a place to live. We might have less money than we would have liked sometimes, but I would imagine that most of us never really have to worry about covering our basic needs. Still, is there anyone here that can truthfully say that they haven't felt an emptiness and lack of direction in their life? It might not have been a prolonged feeling like Ze had but it doesn't feel good.
    Also, Ze wasn't just sitting around moaning, she did her very best to combat the feeling.

Just my opinion.

Well, I'll reserve judgement until it comes out, but honestly I'm not hopeful. Zoe came across as a very shallow and unlikeable character to me, which is a shame because I thought they had a great character in April Ryan... at least in the FIRST game. Now it looks like she won't even be a playable character in Chapters. Maybe I'll buy after reviews, but I can't give them my money up front with the new direction they've taken.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    I have rarely ever met (if at all) anyone who hasn't felt the same things as Zoe, saying "I could relate to her" because of her "feelings" sounds almost like "I can relate to her because I have two hands and one nose too, just like Zoe." It was made into too much of a big deal because, again, almost everyone in my family, among my friends and so on have felt like that at least for some time and I've spent many years in that kind of mental state.
    I think I'll just have to lock you up (right, all of you) with my aunt for a while and make you truly feel what it's like to be around a person who whines about her emotions and feelings and depression all the time. Maybe once you don't have the touchy-feely music playing in background or puzzles in well-modeled 3d environment, then you can actually understand this personality of hers.
    OK, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think your comparison is fair, to be honest. Yes, there was a lot of whininess about Zoe, but you found out about it because you were watching over her, reading her diary, 'listening in' to her thoughts, etc. It's not like you met her on the street and she assaulted you with her problems. Actually, when her father hinted kindly at the issues, she rather shied away than starting to complain. So I don't think she is the girl who goes up to people at parties and make them wish they (or she) were drunk beyond comprehension already

However, I discovered another problem with her, and it's quite subliminal, it might add to the negative feeling without being conscious about it. When playing Dreamfall, I actually wondered why I'm not finding Zoe too attractive - she's a real beauty technically (and I still maintain that her ass is very fine, mind you ). Now when I watched some of the RTG replay videos, I realized (consciously) that I find her quite unattractive when her face is dominant on the screen. Why? Because it looks like it's pumped full of botox, that's why. And that's a technical (game engine or model design) problem, not a character flaw.
    It looks like RTG is paying attention to facial animation in DFC, so I'm quite anticipating the new Zoe.

PS: similar issue may be present with Dreamfall April. It made her probably more cold than the creators intended. On Kian, it looked just natural, though
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

evolutionary sleeper
    Actually, I didn't read her so-called diary at all. And it was not her thoughts, it was what she told her dad - and it appears they already had a similar discussion at least once - of course, let's say her dad was asking for it. Then she kept talking about it with this girl called Karen, Jama, Olivia, Reza, DAMIEN - this was the biggest problem there, you've only just met the guy!!!!! and of course, the White Dragon. How many times do you bring up such subject during a week, seriously?
    I'll check on the White and Damien, because I can't remember those and context is important. With Jama, Olivia and Reza, it was natural in the context. And who's Karen?
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

evolutionary sleeper
    "I don't like the Zoe I'm becoming" or something like that. Also, with the White she starts "I don't want to be a drift, I want this I want that". meh...
    I'll go through those conversations and check them myself. I promise to try to see them through your eyes, OK?

And I can never agree that it's natural to bring up your inner turmoils with your dad, best friend, not the best but probably somewhat a friend, trainer and ex-boyfriend - all in just one morning. Morning and afternoon at most.
    Sure, it's stupid to bring them up multiple times - but people were asking about how she felt, didn't they? (or, in Jama's case, she was berating Zoe for being late, and she (Zoe) went to defense) This is why I said that the context was important - it's one thing to give honest (if whiny) replies to friendly questions, and quite another to offload your misery onto any poor unexpecting sod you happen to meet, and unable to run away.
    (well OK, Reza did disappear, I give you that much )

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Ragnar has said multiple times that Zo was supposed to be a bit spoiled an whiney, and I loved Zo to death the way she was.
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

if they hadn't given her all those touching soundtracks
    Ugh.Don`t remind me.

I like how the three protagonists in Dreamfall evoke such strong feelings either for or against. Whether we like them or not is really unimportant, the fact that we even care about them only goes to show how successful Ragnar is in bringing in game characters to life. Hurrah for April's self-pity, Zoe's whiny & incessant complaining and good old wishy-washy Kian. All full of annoying and very unlikable qualities and dare I say just like people in real life. Myself, I'll take these characters any day over cookie cutter heroines and heroes.