Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1,750,000 stretch goal

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    The second playable character will be revealed this week.
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

Could it be Mira? Seems unlikely, if only because she's already been revealed.

I can't remember if Ragnar said it would be someone we already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    Lately I've been thinking about reborn April. It would definitely be a surprise if she turned out to be the "exciting new heroine", 'cause from everything they've said about her so far... well, the only thing we really understood was that devs don't want us to have a clue about her situation and wanted us to think in dark tones (she's dead, or "dead" or dead), it kinda fits with the "exciting new heroine" being only mentioned in passing and then nothing about her at all. I mean, they're both kept secreted away, and it would sure as hell be exciting if it was April.

And correct me if I'm wrong, it was a long time ago, I may not remember, I think the majority was displeased by the notion of yet another new character in the lead. Would they really do that? Would they actually add someone new again while we're still finding it hard to deal with the fate of old ones?

Now that I've said that, they will probably release a new video and we'll find out the new heroine being someone entirely different T..T

I'm pretty sure one of the characters is Kian though.
    Actually that would be a great surprise. There just doesn't seem to be enough time resource or space for a new character. According to Ragnar Dreamfall's cost was around 5 million. So some of the other stuff might get a bit more trimmed this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Profc View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be enough time resource or space for a new character. According to Ragnar Dreamfall's cost was around 5 million. So some of the other stuff might get a bit more trimmed this time around.
    Bear in mind that some of that was because they were building a game engine out of something that really wasn't designed to be one in the first place. Whereas this time around they're taking an established and proven game engine as a base. That should reduce costs quite a bit. As does having fewer people on the team (although this does reduce potential content output too, it also reduces friction between conflicting design ideas -- and of course total salaries).

I was under impression that Mira and Witt were unplayable NPCs.
    Yeah, that's the impression I got too.

Not to mention, a surely positive surprise, while I foresee a lot of negative feedback for a new character, April's return would make the absolute majority happy.
    It's an interesting idea -- after all, there's a bit of precedence in the form of the White Kin, and their "sisterhood" (though Ragnar has stated a few times that it's not supposed to be taken literally). Maybe she gets reborn as Kian's younger sister. That'll really throw everyone for a loop.
    Last edited by Miral; 03-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

Talking

thats kinda funny...i was kickin around the idea of reborn april lately. something more along the lines of dragon april. it would be a great way to take advantage of the 3d enviroment if you hav a character that flies
    The days of our youth are fleeting; lets live without regrets.

Yeah, we've considered April the White to relatively likely.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

So, the $1.75M stretch goal got announced - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y/posts/420225 - and they are: (1) more ports - to iOS and maybe some others, and (2) different outfits, based on your pledge tier. The second seems to be irritating a fair number of people. Seems to be coming across to a segment of pledgers as "Day 1 DLC."

Gotta say, neither of those does a lot for me. Would have preferred some of the Wonkers/Crow nonsense (minigames, etc.) that others suggested.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringtail View Post
    Gotta say, neither of those does a lot for me. Would have preferred some of the Wonkers/Crow nonsense (minigames, etc.) that others suggested.
    Fully agreed.

However, there was an interesting bit in the text:
    We will not add a character creation option to Dreamfall Chapters -- obviously, since you're playing established characters.

So what does that mean? Can the "exciting new heroine" be indeed April reborn?
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    So what does that mean? Can the "exciting new heroine" be indeed April reborn?
    That's not what that means. It just means that you're playing a character defined by the developers (as is typical in adventure games) instead of one defined by the players (as is typical in RPGs).

They could have said exactly the same thing about Zoe prior to releasing DF.

ie. it doesn't say anything one way or the other about whether we already know the character or not.
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

I'm not sure I like this customization idea. I mean I don't like the way it's distributed, wouldn't it be more fair to give to everyone equally?
    I don't think the customization is actually a strech goal, rather it's something they were thinking of doing all along, and just announced now. So it sorta makes sense to me.
    But I don't really care much either way, I doubt I'll feel much of a need to change Zoë's looks.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    ie. it doesn't say anything one way or the other about whether we already know the character or not.
    hmmm. to me, "established" says exactly this, so no, we couldn't have said this about Zoe before Dreamfall. or we could have, but we wouldn't have been exact.
    then again, I might be reading to much into it
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

I'm not sure I like this customization idea. I mean I don't like the way it's distributed, wouldn't it be more fair to give to everyone equally?
    This. But a lot of people have a problem with it, judging by the KS comments. So hopefully they'll reconsider.

I mean, yeah, it's just cosmetic stuff, that doesn't really make any real difference to the gameplay itself. I just don't like the idea of the game itself being different in ANY way for people based on their pledge level. I mean, what about the people who buy it at retail later on? Especially because at least with the way that they've worded it, it sounds like those at low tiers or at retail don't get any kind of customisation at all -- so an entire "feature" is missing for them. (Albeit a nonessential one.)

We have enough of that sort of crap from the big publishers and their preorder and store-exclusive DLC. I don't want it infecting KS. Or TLJ.

(It's not going to make me drop my pledge. But it might stop me from thinking about increasing it. And I really want us to hit the 1.5m goal at least.)
    Last edited by Miral; 03-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    This. But a lot of people have a problem with it, judging by the KS comments. So hopefully they'll reconsider.

I mean, yeah, it's just cosmetic stuff, that doesn't really make any real difference to the gameplay itself. I just don't like the idea of the game itself being different in ANY way for people based on their pledge level. I mean, what about the people who buy it at retail later on? Especially because at least with the way that they've worded it, it sounds like those at low tiers or at retail don't get any kind of customisation at all -- so an entire "feature" is missing for them. (Albeit a nonessential one.)

We have enough of that sort of crap from the big publishers and their preorder and store-exclusive DLC. I don't want it infecting KS. Or TLJ.

(It's not going to make me drop my pledge. But it might stop me from thinking about increasing it.)
    Based on my pledge level ($1,000) I will be eligible for the full customization of Zoe, but as you both stated there should be no difference in content based on pledge level and I agree. We are all committing money in advance to have this game made and whether one has pledge $20 or $10, 000 the content should be the same for all, even if it is nonessential to the game.

Someone just made an interesting point over in the KS comments. If RTG really do go ahead with the tiered game content thing, then it instantly becomes a way in which a pirated version of the game would be superior to the legitimate version. (Because let's face it, piracy is inevitable, and any "exclusive content" is always leaked one way or another.)

This is a step in completely the wrong direction. It's not something that consciously occurred to me before, but it's definitely one of the reasons why I don't like this idea.

(And like Dmm, my pledge level is such that I would get all the extras under the proposed scheme anyway. But that's not the point. There's a principle at stake, even if it's "just cosmetic".)

evolutionary sleeper
    tiered content may pose technical difficulties, as well. it can be implemented as small add-on installers, but then content protection is already a lost cause.

on the principle, while I agree with what you've been saying, I'd suggest to go a bit easier on RTG. visual character customization seems to be the rage these days (beats me why, but facts are facts), and they're groping for something that captures people's attention. I think they figure out soon that the tiered approach is not the way to go.