Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoe's new design

Zoe's new design

Okay, this thread isn't necessarily for whining about Zoe's new art direction (or perhaps intended all along) but she does look much more generic than the original Zoe to me. Her Indian descendant roots seemed to have disappeared in this new iteration. Her face became more dominant than her eyes and less petite. I Think her old shape was nicer and she lost that 'girl next door' feel imo. I may be wrong but I thought new design at least should've been instantly recognisable. Yet, I had to think twice and look hard to see whether she was a new protagonist or Zoe herself. Unless she is like a sister then that's ok lol.
    I can live with it, but I will always prefer the original Zoe as a personal preference. This felt much more drastic of a redesign than April's imo.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickless_One View Post
    I ate red and green apple this morning... OH MY GOD the dragons' spirits are fighting in my stomach!!1!l! ... I mean like people... restrain that wild imagination of yours a little bit ok?

I think it looks like Zoe, but she somehow looks a bit younger. But all in all I don't mind. I'm sure that when we hear her familiar voice again, it will feel right again.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

Make sure you watch the video. The new model looks much better in motion than the stills suggest.

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Make sure you watch the video. The new model looks much better in motion than the stills suggest.
    This ^^^
    I like the new model!
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Actually, to me the ingame video at the beginning really threw me off. I don't mind the animation test one towards the end but still, something's missing for me. Not a huge deal I suppose but I am in love with Zoe from the first game haha.
    I ate red and green apple this morning... OH MY GOD the dragons' spirits are fighting in my stomach!!1!l! ... I mean like people... restrain that wild imagination of yours a little bit ok?

When Ragnar posted that first teaser pic earlier, I instantly recognized it as Zoe. So I don't think it was a huge redesign. The only thing I don't like about her is the way her hair looks painted on her scalp. That concept art of her with the hat is gorgeous though, and I hope the in-game model captures that better.

With an estimated release date of November 2014, I'm sure there will be lots of time for tweakage.

Dreamworld Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    her forehead is too low. She might have had that low forehead in DF as well, but her hair was not stretched back which would make it less apparent. Also, her eyebrows are located too low as well, not to mention, their width (especially compared to her eyes) has been reduced.

To me, this new model looks like "Zoe for V4", the shape of her hairline, forehead and eyebrows suggest enough similarity (Google Daz Studio Victoria 4, if you don't know what I'm talking about).
    I kind of agree.. I like the old Zoe model better. She looks kind of bland? If they just enhanced the old model a little bit and added those piercings I think she would have turned out phenomenally.
    "I'm leaving soon, but I'm not afraid. If death is the end, I know that our dreams remain behind." -ZoŽ Castillo
    --

For the first moment I saw this design I thought it's a new heroine.
    This Zoe looks skinny. Did Vagabond feed her poorly? And piercing? Hmm...
    You have a terrible temper and are totally incapable of social or domestic life? Congratulations, you are a genius!
    April Ryan versus the Prophet: the battle begins!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoods View Post
    Her Indian descendant roots seemed to have disappeared in this new iteration.
    What makes you think she's of Indian descent? If anything, she's more likely to be half-Chinese.

her name is Zoe Castillo and her Father's name is Gabriel.

They probably are probably both Spanish. But lived some part of their life in England. Half Chinese half Spanish that was raised in England then Morocco. She is truly international.

Quote Originally Posted by wandrew8 View Post
    What makes you think she's of Indian descent? If anything, she's more likely to be half-Chinese.
    Her Father looked very much Indian to me lol and she reminds me of one of the Indian actresses but when I think about it, it may just be Latin, like Spanish. Castillo is a Spanish surname. Actually scrap the whole Indian thing lol
    Last edited by ravenwoods; 02-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Zoe lived in London, when she was 10. English is a safe bet.
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldsReunited View Post
    Zoe lived in London, when she was 10. English is a safe bet.
    I meant racial descendency here man, let's not be naive about it, she has olive skin, she ain't white.

Her hair certainly looks more severe than it did in Dreamfall.

For me, this (warning, large image) is still the "perfect" ZoŽ. But if you look at some of the other concept art (virtual treasure trove here), there are some very different interpretations of the character. Some of which, to me, clearly hint at Indian roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kin View Post
    This Zoe looks skinny. Did Vagabond feed her poorly? And piercing? Hmm...
    She was in a coma, after all. It's quite likely that she lost some weight in the process.

I don't really mind the nose stud. Could have been a spur of the moment thing after waking up. A subtle hint that she got back some of her former spontaneity.