Let's get the record straight. Here are the relevant tweets:
Here is what was said:
Q: "Will there be several protagonists?"
Q: "Will there be female protagonists?"
A: "Two out of three protagonists will be female."
Q: "Will the two female protagonists be April and Zoe?"
A: "No, not both of them at the same time."
Q: "Have any of the three protagonists been introduced in TLJ or Dreamfall?"
A: "Yes, two of them have already appeared in the series."
This opens up following possibilities:
- Protagonist 1 (P1) can be either April, a new heroine (NF: a female character introduced in Chapters for the first time), or an old heroine (OF: a female character from an earlier game who is promoted to player character in Chapters).
- Protagonist 2 (P2) can be either Zoe, a new heroine, or an old heroine.
- Protagonist 3 (P3) can be either a new hero (NM: a male character introduced in Chapters for the first time), or an old hero (OM: a male character from an earlier game).
- OF can be several characters, such as Emma, Na'ane, etc.
- OM is most likely Kian, though possibly also Brian Westhouse, Charlie, etc.
With that in mind, following combinations can be ruled out:
- Any girl + Any girl + A new guy: Because Tornquist already promised a "new heroine", so the guy is definitely from a previous game.
- April + Zoe + Any guy: Because they are not to be co-protagonists again.
Which leaves us with following possibilities:
- April + "The new heroine" + An old guy (Kian, Brian, Charlie, etc.)
- Zoe + "The new heroine" + An old guy (Kian, Brian, Charlie, etc.)
- "The new heroine" + An old heroine + An old guy (Kian, Brian, Charlie, etc.)
The last option is still possible (if unlikely), because Tornquist never explicitly promised we will have either April or Zoe so they both might not be playable at all.