Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: troll's cave

It's not as if there aren't any puzzles in Dreamfall, they're just not as frequent and the solution is usually relatively close at hand.

At the same time, the existence of stealth segments and active combat doesn't make it any less of an adventure. Both of those have existed even in classic point & click adventures for some time (e.g. avoiding capture in Maniac Mansion, fighting in Indiana Jones).

That said, Dreamfall's pacing is certainly different from that of The Longest Journey. But that's something you see in every genre these days.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by tun_luiec View Post
    What I get out of the sentence, I don't really consider DF an adventure game in the same way as TLJ is that AstralTraveller* means, there is definitely a kind of adventure in Dreamfall. But not everyone gets the same satisfaction from playing that as from The Longest Journey. DF is an adventure game - just not the same kind of adventure game as TLJ.

(*do correct me if I'm wrong, you)
    what she said, for the most part. or to put it in a different way, Dreamfall is a fantastic adventure - but it's not much of a game. and I don't mean to imply it's necessarily bad. then again, TLJ had the same wow factor for the adventure part, and it even had all those wonderful puzzles. it's like choosing between "really good" and "about the best"

PS: I edited this post more than ten times. that's a record. on the personal level, at least.
    Last edited by AstralTraveller; 10-06-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    Well, dark and choking atmosphere isn't everyone's cup of tea. In this case, definitely DON'T play Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Dark and choking atmosphere? What does the atmosphere have anything to do with the troll cave having no plot, no gameplay, and mindless walking around? Makes no sense what you said....

what she said, for the most part. or to put it in a different way, Dreamfall is a fantastic adventure - but it's not much of a game. and I don't mean to imply it's necessarily bad. then again, TLJ had the same wow factor for the adventure part, and it even had all those wonderful puzzles. it's like choosing between "really good" and "about the best"
    fair enough. i just wanted to address that lousy "zomg! werez mah puzzlez!" argument, which is, imo, is getting quite old.
    "Ragnar?! You's got some s'plaining to doo!" (c) wandrew8

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by onion View Post
    Dark and choking atmosphere? What does the atmosphere have anything to do with the troll cave having no plot, no gameplay, and mindless walking around? Makes no sense what you said....
    Everything. You're just slashing around with no arguments, so we may as well discontinue the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by LLlaxmep View Post
    fair enough. i just wanted to address that lousy "zomg! werez mah puzzlez!" argument, which is, imo, is getting quite old.
    Don't get me wrong (or right ), I'm all out for "mah puzzlez" - there has to be something incredible in any adventure game that is so low on puzzles as Dreamfall. Dreamfall has it, so I'm fine with it (more than fine, actually) - but for example, Telltale's Back to the Future series is similarly weak in the puzzle department while not featuring any other awesomeness.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

Don't get me wrong (or right ), I'm all out for "mah puzzlez" - there has to be something incredible in any adventure game that is so low on puzzles as Dreamfall. Dreamfall has it, so I'm fine with it (more than fine, actually) - but for example, Telltale's Back to the Future series is similarly weak in the puzzle department while not featuring any other awesomeness.
    right. so, i think we'd agree that puzzles are only a part of what we are used to call adventure game, wouldn't we? the part that mostly contributes to it being a game, but is not really required for the adventure part, right? what i was trying to point out is that puzzles can be replaced, or indeed go along, with some other kind of - what did you call it? - yes, "awesomeness" . even if Dreamfall wasn't the best example of how if should be done it was a nice try still, and i hope Ragnar & co will improve on it if... ehhm... when they start working on DF: Chapters.
    "Ragnar?! You's got some s'plaining to doo!" (c) wandrew8

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by LLlaxmep View Post
    right. so, i think we'd agree that puzzles are only a part of what we are used to call adventure game, wouldn't we? the part that mostly contributes to it being a game, but is not really required for the adventure part, right? what i was trying to point out is that puzzles can be replaced, or indeed go along, with some other kind of - what did you call it? - yes, "awesomeness" . even if Dreamfall wasn't the best example of how if should be done it was a nice try still, and i hope Ragnar & co will improve on it if... ehhm... when they start working on DF: Chapters.
    Nothing more needs to be said here

Everything. You're just slashing around with no arguments, so we may as well discontinue the discussion.
    Are you sure you even understand what you are saying? Nothing you are saying is making any sense.

Dreamworld Member
    Troll's cave doesn't only have atmosphere, it has also plot elements, not major, but there are. You learn that the trolls obey to the prophet, or they can't see him, and that the tower is just above the dream chamber. Actually, that the cave is the entrance to dream chamber too.
    I look like a real sailor. Arrr matey!

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Troll cave would have been awesome without the big troll. If there only was the small one who you COULD fight it would have been really good...
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldsReunited View Post
    Troll cave would have been awesome without the big troll. If there only was the small one who you COULD fight it would have been really good...
    nononononoNO! bigtroll kickass-uh!

seriously, though, it wouldn't be nearly as good without the big unkillable mofo.

big troll

i just played this scene today again and i really like the cave but what i dont like is the "
    "turning-the-statue's-wheel" thing.. that was freaking me out.

but i drawed myself a map of the cave and signed in the ways the big troll walks (always the same) and - finally - i never was killed by him :P

if anyone is interested in my map please write, i dont want to spoil around

Talking rubber-ducky

btw, what do you guys mean with th rubber-ducky-puzzle?
    the one under aprils window in the borderhouse?

greets

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeeroo View Post
    btw, what do you guys mean with th rubber-ducky-puzzle?
    the one under aprils window in the borderhouse?

greets
    Yes indeed. Also I'd be interested in this map of yours.
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldsReunited View Post
    Yes indeed. Also I'd be interested in this map of yours.
    You know there's a map here, right?
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"