Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: troll's cave

troll's cave

Hi! Finally I came to the cave trolls and now I can not figure out the right way to go 'cause the giant troll kills me every time,anywhere in the game. I also can't open the gate that has 4 symbols that are also in a statue with a circle wheel. Someone can help me with the giant troll or symbols ? Waiting for help pleeaasee !!

The warrior grubber will never appear, unless the small grubber(small troll) who is carrying the lamp spots you and summons it. So figure out how to avoid being spotted by the small grubber. I don't want to say anymore than this because I figure you want to solve the puzzle on your own.

Honestly just skip this part of the game or use a walkthrough.

This is a mind numbingly stupid part of the game. All it will do is frustrate you and leave you with a sour taste in your mouth if you try to pass it yourself. Its one of those puzzles where you have to walk through a maze and hit buttons/levers to pass. There is no story line, no logical thinking involved. There is no reason to play through it. Yes I used a walkthrough.
    Last edited by onion; 08-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onion View Post
    This is a mind numbingly stupid part of the game. All it will do is frustrate you and leave you with a sour taste in your mouth if you try to pass it yourself.
    Remember that is your experience with this part of the game and I suppose many others would agree with you, but I rather enjoyed it. Well, I also liked the rubber ducky puzzle in TLJ which I gathered most people did not like. That doesn't mean I have never found puzzles in various games to be mind numbingly stupid, but what I find mind numbingly stupid may be of great enjoyment to another. I figure when someone is asking for help with a particular puzzle one should reply with a minimal of hints to begin with, not my opinion on what I think of a particular puzzle. If the hint is not enough to satisfy that person they can either ask for more help or use a walk through.

Keeper of the Black Flame WorldsReunited's Avatar
    Honestly just skip this part of the game or use a walkthrough.

This is a mind numbingly stupid part of the game. All it will do is frustrate you and leave you with a sour taste in your mouth if you try to pass it yourself. Its one of those puzzles where you have to walk through a maze and hit buttons/levers to pass. There is no story line, no logical thinking involved. There is no reason to play through it. Yes I used a walkthrough.
    Let me just eh... second this...
    I looked up a save game myself couldn't even beat it with walktrough and I really hated it too...
    Check my blog: http://thedreamfallchapters.blogspot.com/ for all kinds of information on Dreamfall Chapters and other things related to the Longest Journey Universe.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmm View Post
    Remember that is your experience with this part of the game and I suppose many others would agree with you, but I rather enjoyed it. Well, I also liked the rubber ducky puzzle in TLJ which I gathered most people did not like. That doesn't mean I have never found puzzles in various games to be mind numbingly stupid, but what I find mind numbingly stupid may be of great enjoyment to another. I figure when someone is asking for help with a particular puzzle one should reply with a minimal of hints to begin with, not my opinion on what I think of a particular puzzle. If the hint is not enough to satisfy that person they can either ask for more help or use a walk through.
    and then, I second this. the caves are a tough part, kind of like participating in a suspense horror movie, but if you solve them yourself, the result is immensely cathartic.

PS: the rubber ducky puzzle is one of my favourite puzzles in any adventure game ever. all who say it's too hard / illogical - you really need to open your mind and use your imagination on that one. and it's not impossible at all - I solved it without any hints, even though I had to figure out I have to reload at one part due to a game bug.
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
    and then, I second this. the caves are a tough part, kind of like participating in a suspense horror movie, but if you solve them yourself, the result is immensely cathartic.
    this^

PS: the rubber ducky puzzle is one of my favourite puzzles in any adventure game ever. all who say it's too hard / illogical - you really need to open your mind and use your imagination on that one. and it's not impossible at all - I solved it without any hints, even though I had to figure out I have to reload at one part due to a game bug.
    and this^
    "Ragnar?! You's got some s'plaining to doo!" (c) wandrew8

At least the rubber ducky puzzle was amusing and unique. There is nothing amusing about walking around in a cave maze triggering levers/switches to get through. There is nothing fun about it. I would rather go to work than play through the troll cave again, not because its difficult but because it so boring, plotless, and mindless.

evolutionary sleeper
    There is nothing amusing about walking around in a cave maze triggering levers/switches to get through. There is nothing fun about it. I would rather go to work than play through the troll cave again, not because its difficult but because it so boring, plotless, and mindless.
    Well, dark and choking atmosphere isn't everyone's cup of tea. In this case, definitely DON'T play Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    A fully working kitchen holds a great many things, not least of which is a huge collection of ways of committing horrible murder, plus multiple ways of getting rid of the evidence.

I get all the dark atmosphere I want from playing Half Life after midnight. I want to try Amnesia, though.

I think the trollcave is .. sort of ... like ... so many other puzzles in Dreamfall: it is not so much about grinding one's brain and open the mind as it is about stealth and combat skills. Not on a particularly advanced level, but nevertheless (it is more advanced than Worms, which means I suck at it!). I miss having to really sit and think. And occasionally having to make use of drawings.

Apropos fighting and thinking, Ico combined these two elements very well. And the atmosphere can be dark, too.
    this room has no outer walls

Quote Originally Posted by tun_luiec View Post
    Apropos fighting and thinking, Ico combined these two elements very well. And the atmosphere can be dark, too.
    Which reminds me, the PS3 edition of that is out now. Although it's still a little pricey for my liking (since I already have both for PS2).
    "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!"

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    Which reminds me, the PS3 edition of that is out now. Although it's still a little pricey for my liking (since I already have both for PS2).
    Same! I really want the new edition... But buying new consoles every time I discover a game I want is surprisingly bad for my economy.

evolutionary sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by tun_luiec View Post
    I think the trollcave is .. sort of ... like ... so many other puzzles in Dreamfall: it is not so much about grinding one's brain and open the mind as it is about stealth and combat skills. Not on a particularly advanced level, but nevertheless (it is more advanced than Worms, which means I suck at it!). I miss having to really sit and think. And occasionally having to make use of drawings.
    that's a different aspect, and you're right, of course - I don't really consider DF an adventure game in the same way as TLJ.

that's a different aspect, and you're right, of course - I don't really consider DF an adventure game in the same way as TLJ.
    tbh, i never understood this "if there's no puzzles - the game is not an adventure". for me, the world, the characters, the story - that's what makes something an adventure i'd take part in. puzzles is only one thing that can make that something a game, but, honestly, is that the only thing? certainly not. set difficulty on easy in Mass Effect and you'll have a very good adventure. same can be said about Witcher games.
    i think it's time we all recognized and acknowledged the fact that some changes are imminent if the genre we used to call "adventure game" is to survive and move forward. and, personally, i have no problem with that.
    "Ragnar?! You's got some s'plaining to doo!" (c) wandrew8

What I get out of the sentence, I don't really consider DF an adventure game in the same way as TLJ is that AstralTraveller* means, there is definitely a kind of adventure in Dreamfall. But not everyone gets the same satisfaction from playing that as from The Longest Journey. DF is an adventure game - just not the same kind of adventure game as TLJ.

(*do correct me if I'm wrong, you)