View Poll Results: Dreamfall Sneaking: What do you think of it?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

14 21.88%
  • Eh, it's not so bad.

36 56.25%
  • Really dislike it!

12 18.75%
  • Other:

3 4.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dreamfall Sneaking....What's your thought on it? Please participate in my poll.

Well, sneaking in Dreamfal was neither very bad nor very good. It just looked as some necessity (not very tough, though) to move further.
    If you play in Thief (or Hitman, Splinter Cell) and hide from guards and zombies (especially zombies - one scream of them can turn you white), sneaking in DF won't be super challenging.

It would be better, if developers have replaced sneaking parts with some interesting puzzles (like in TLJ - there were many parts in it with puzzles instead of possible sneaking). Or added some way (trusty blackjack) to neutralize guards and after that explore location in calm atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kin View Post
    Well, sneaking in Dreamfal was neither very bad nor very good. It just looked as some necessity (not very tough, though) to move further.
    If you play in Thief (or Hitman, Splinter Cell) and hide from guards and zombies (especially zombies - one scream of them can turn you white), sneaking in DF won't be super challenging.

It would be better, if developers have replaced sneaking parts with some interesting puzzles (like in TLJ - there were many parts in it with puzzles instead of possible sneaking). Or added some way (trusty blackjack) to neutralize guards and after that explore location in calm atmosphere.
    I second that... Thief series are amazing, one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had I think. The atmosphere is unparalleled. Have you played Thief: Deadly Shadows Dr. Kin?

Quote Originally Posted by dashing.toucan View Post
    I second that... Thief series are amazing, one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had I think. The atmosphere is unparalleled. Have you played Thief: Deadly Shadows Dr. Kin?
    Yes, I have played Thief: DS, this is the first Thief game (in series) that I fully completed.
    Now I am in the middle of Thief 1 (I am playing in it rather slowly, 1-2 levels from time to time).
    Comparing to Thief: DS, hiding and sneaking in Thief 1 are harder (and more interesting). There isn't always obvious path to go/sneak and you need to... improvize! Levels in Thief 1 are way bigger, but Thief: DS has some levels with interesting design (underground city, craddle, captain' mansion).
    There are many memorable enemies in Thief games: zombies, funny (and scary) burrick-lizards with digestion problems, pious hammerites, drunken guards and others. Always enjoing videos between levels(in Thief 1 they have some interesting citations and cool voice of Garrett; very liked painted cinematics in Thief: DS). Liked how Garrett likes to do some sharp remarks through levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kin View Post
    Yes, I have played Thief: DS, this is the first Thief game (in series) that I fully completed.
    Now I am in the middle of Thief 1 (I am playing in it rather slowly, 1-2 levels from time to time).
    Comparing to Thief: DS, hiding and sneaking in Thief 1 are harder (and more interesting). There isn't always obvious path to go/sneak and you need to... improvize! Levels in Thief 1 are way bigger, but Thief: DS has some levels with interesting design (underground city, craddle, captain' mansion).
    There are many memorable enemies in Thief games: zombies, funny (and scary) burrick-lizards with digestion problems, pious hammerites, drunken guards and others. Always enjoing videos between levels(in Thief 1 they have some interesting citations and cool voice of Garrett; very liked painted cinematics in Thief: DS). Liked how Garrett likes to do some sharp remarks through levels.
    I went through the games in a similar way. I started Thief 1 a long time ago with my cousin, I was a wee lad back then and didn't know a word of English and that actually made it even scarier. I recall how we translated the objectives with a dictionary
    Recently, I started playing Thief 1 again and it was great but the graphics still kept reminding me I was playing a game. Thief: DS, which I played a few years ago, was much easier it seemed but there were still some unforgettable levels. Playing the Shalebridge Cradle at night with headphones was an amazing gaming experience.
    Finally, I agree that Stephen Russell's voice plays a fundamental role in creating the unmatched atmosphere of all three games.

Quote Originally Posted by dashing.toucan View Post
    Recently, I started playing Thief 1 again and it was great but the graphics still kept reminding me I was playing a game.
    There was something in Thief 1' graphics and design to help build this gloomy, mysterious athmosphere of loneliness, danger and some valuable objects to steal.

I just wanted to say thanks to DF for making me sneak around in the game I'm braver now
    I'm not hostile,I'm just not very friendly.
    --
    Welcome to the geek-o-phone.please dial the correct answer to this question to get through to the operator.What am I?

Correct reply: 1337
    ----
    ^^

I have all three of the Thief games, but haven't actually played them yet. (I know, I know.)

Wow, I'm the only one who chose "Other"? I didn't hate the sneaking. There were parts of the game where I thought it was absolutely warranted and exciting. I liked the part where I had to sneak up on a few people and knock them out, and I didn't even mind hiding from those flying security bots. So in parts, the sneaking was a totally excellent inclusion in the game.

I did however, HATE the cave section. Yes, you didn't have to hold the sneak button the entire time to sneak, but a big area to explore with a puzzle to solve, and those darn Morlocks to hide from? It was just too much. I didn't like the combat much, but I would've preferred the option to beat the snot out of those little blue apes and explore the area in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrai View Post
    and those darn Morlocks to hide from?
    Grubbers. They're called grubbers.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

When i first played Dreamfall at the time of its release i was uncertain about many things in the game. Now i see the sneaking as a very reasonable extension of the choices available and the ways to involve the player. I have played many hundreds of games since that first look at Dreamfall and now see what an amazing achievement it is in every realm. The sneaking is a wonderful way to participate in the choice tree of the game with the characters and i cannot imagine DF working without it.
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    http://chris-today.blogspot.com

Talking

I get really tense of those parts too, but I think it's fun. Getting so hooked and into the game only proves that it manages to get your full attention.

allthough I sometimes think it's a bit to hard to figure out some parts (but that might be because I'm not a very good gamer) still I choose the 'I love it' one seeing as DF is the only rp game besides Zelda that I actually want to continue to play.

But I most admit I sometimes take breaks from the game aswell because I get stuck and find it to easy to give up and ask for the solution without trying more myself first. Taking a break and then try again sometimes help you see things you've missed the first times you tried.

All in all I love the game :3
    My art, my writing, my fantasy, my creations... that is my passion ~A.M.~

everything about this game is great. I don't think anything needs to change
    :OutATime: