View Poll Results: Dreamfall Sneaking: What do you think of it?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

14 21.88%
  • Eh, it's not so bad.

36 56.25%
  • Really dislike it!

12 18.75%
  • Other:

3 4.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamfall Sneaking....What's your thought on it? Please participate in my poll.

Dreamfall Sneaking....What's your thought on it? Please participate in my poll.

There is so much sneaking in this game, it almost makes me wish I hadn't bought it.
    I got so stuck sneaking down in the lab, in Chapter 5, that I avoided the game for a couple of months.
    Whenever I had tried sneaking, my heart would pound so hard, that every time I died, it hurt me too.

Talk about about being overly sensitive...

My husband finally bailed me out with very little effort and I was able to continue...Thank god.

I would love to get a feel for those who like or dislike the amount of sneaking in the game.
    Thanks for your time in advance!

The only thing I really don't like is the caves, not really sneaking but almost =)

I agree that the sneaking parts can be scary. It's strange, really, how much they can scare you. But still I selected the 'eh, it's not so bad...'.
    The game doesn't startle me, and I'm happy with that
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

Why is it multiple choice?

Probably a mistake. I've noticed that most people use those.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

I don't mind the sneaking, actually I kinda like it (but I still chose 'eh, it's not so bad...' =p). And the tension makes you feel more alive, so that's just a good thing ^^
    "One of the test monkeys slipped on a banana peel and broke its neck. It was both tragic, and hysterical."

I selected "Love it!" because I usually do this even in real life about twice or thrice a week. Seriously.(no,no, I don't steal or something) And when I was sneaking in the game I had very familiar feelings.
    Last edited by Happy one; 05-08-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Journey!
    The more I get, the more I want
    - as (h/m)oney.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy one View Post
    I selected "Love it!" because I usually do this even in real life about twice or thrice a week.
    So, it makes you awkward to control and you have Grubbers in your home?
    "You must save her, Zoe....."
    www.blackhope.net/dreamfall.htm
    “Our lives are like flames on the wind, waiting for our salvation to begin.”

Quote Originally Posted by MissionVao View Post
    So, it makes you awkward to control
    Yes, but not for my family, I try to be open with them and say where I go.
    Although sometimes I can quietly disappear from home. Just don't like to make noise.

My family knows about my love to sneaking and likes to joke about it. I'm ashame of it because I can remember it was a feature of my nature even when I was a little child and I always get a pleasure from sneaking.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionVao View Post
    and you have Grubbers in your home?
    God forbid, no If i ever see that creature I'll driving crazy. O_O
    Last edited by Happy one; 05-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Journey!
    The more I get, the more I want
    - as (h/m)oney.

I choosed "Eh, it's not so bad. " since I like it when my heart start beating faster and you just gotta do it right since that's the only option. You try and you try and when you get it right it's such a relief. In those sneeking parts I really get into the story!
    "The brightest days have the darkest shadows"
    (Garmon)

"Jeepers, this place had changed a lot! It used to scare the crap out of me, and now it's sort of... fluffy. With an edge."
    (Crow in The Guardian's Realm, Dreamfall)

It's not so bad though some areas could use a little more gloom. Just to heighten the tension. Nothing like having goose pimples down your back listening to heavy thuds and werid sounds coming your way.

No, sorry. I don't like it. Maybe if there were two or three stealth tasks and the rest was traditional puzzles you expect from an adventure game I could have forgiven it. As it is, it a vast amount of the game is taken up by sneaking puzzles.

Broken Sword 3 had a number of sneaking in the shadows puzzles but at least the camera angle wasn't strictly limited to being tethered around the character. It usually switched to a higher camera angle and you could see what patterns the guards moved in. Dreamfall requires you first to find your way around corridors that you haven't a clue where the guards might be or what movement patterns they might be taking.

It would have been good if in Arcadia you could have the option of getting around sneaking puzzles with invisibility magic. The invisibility potion puzzle in TLJ was one of the coolest bits of the game. I think it may have been less fun and definitely less original if April had to physically sneak around the Vanguard and you had to reload the game every time you messed up.

If I wanted to play a stealth game I would have bought MGS. Maybe the rest of you like action games but I'm afraid it takes the fun out of the heart of the adventure The Longest Journey was all about.

Sorry for the ranty first post. I honestly think TLJ is the best 'serious' adventure series I've played. Although I discovered it quite late I'm very glad I did.

I also disliked the sneaking in Dreamfall. Although I managed to get through most of it without too much effort, the caves and the lab were the two places where I just wanted to crawl up and die.

Needless to say that I really suck at sneaking (and fighting) in computer games and that is exactly why I like adventure games so much: no sneaking and fighting.

Although Dreamfall had both, I must say that I loved the rest of the game. I loved it enough to keep trying to get past those two points in the game (and succeeding at it), which normally doesn't happen.

Sneaking is the reason I've only finished Dreamfall once.

My keyboard/mouse setup has the mouse on the left-hand side ('cause I'm a lefty, natch), which means I use the arrow keys rather than WASD to navigate. Which means I have to use Sellotape to hold down the sneak key, because my hands don't reach that far...

That's fine, until the lab. Then the Sellotape gets snarled up, doesn't come on or off the key quickly enough, or the key stays stuck down and while I'm dragging at it, Zoe is caught.

So yeah, I hate sneaking. I've almost forgotten what happens at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Charamei View Post
    My keyboard/mouse setup has the mouse on the left-hand side ('cause I'm a lefty, natch), which means I use the arrow keys rather than WASD to navigate. Which means I have to use Sellotape to hold down the sneak key, because my hands don't reach that far...
    The default sneak key is Ctrl, and usually there's one of those on both sides of the keyboard.... but even if that's not true in your case, you can just remap it to something else.