Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Westhouse, bad guy?

Quote Originally Posted by EchoingRaven View Post
    I'd take a sissy over an asshole (can I say that here?) anyday.
    Oh, I'm sorry... Did I offend you? Let's hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Switched View Post
    Let's pretend Miral never came out with that idea so I could claim it as my original idea.
    It's too hard to tell whether Brian is a good guy or a bad guy. I didn't like young White's reaction when she saw him, but that could've been just a distraction.
    That was also an obvious attempt at making Westhouse suspicious. And about the possibility that Ragnar knew that we would think that Brian was too suspicious so that Westhouse actually is the bad guy in the end... That's just one level too deep for the story telling depth of the TLJ Universe.

Edit: The above is not a criticism. You don't have to drown to understand the TLJ/DF stories, which is good because it is only entertainment in the end.

Onion's not nice...nor mature...he's an American, I bet. >_>
    I thought about mentioning that, but ... it just seemed so cruel.

Wolf in a sheep skin?
    When I skimmed through the first time I thought were talking about the White. Then I cleverly planned a witty retort with a main point of her not being in any kinda sheep skin, but then you have to go ruin it by talking about Benrime. Whom I don't like, and therefore she's clearly not evil. It's never the ones you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by remired View Post
    You know, if you answer 'yes' when people ask if you're a sissy, they often have bashing you further. I know - I've tried.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

Quote Originally Posted by KHH View Post
    You know, if you answer 'yes' when people ask if you're a sissy, they often have bashing you further. I know - I've tried.
    If with "have bashing" you mean "hate bashing", I could start picking on you again if you want .

fitz fixes a feist's fits Switched's Avatar
    I thought about mentioning that, but ... it just seemed so cruel.
    "You should leave off sniffing the carcass of your old life, my brother. You may enjoy unending pain, I do not. There is no shame in walking away from bones, Changer. Nor is there any special wisdom in injuring oneself over and over. What is your loyalty to that pain? To abandon it will not lessen you."

No you didn't offend me I was just saying that I think being a wimp is better than being cruel - but not by much - I believe in balance.

Onion's not nice...nor mature...he's an American, I bet.
    I wasn't really bashing Americans there just so you know - I was just mentioning that I haven't seen to many of them, either there aren't many or they just don't list where they're from - just observation - don't want to start WW3 here.

I think I've figured my theory out - I say that thing that was hunting the dragons killed the real Brian and hides in his skin and talks/acts just like him so that even April was fooled. Unfortunately we don't really know a lot about Benrime.
    That's easy for you to say. There's meaning to your existence. Me? I wasn't who I thought I was. I honestly have no idea who I am anymore. Everyone kept telling me I was important, that I was needed. Then one day, I...wasn't. I was just lost. So don't tell me I'm free. Don't tell me to go live my life. You don't know. You have a purpose.
    - April Ryan

If with "have bashing" you mean "hate bashing", I could start picking on you again if you want .
    Actiually, I intended to say 'they have trouble bashing (...)' but the 'trouble' part obviously didn't make it.
    April Ryan is my friend,

No you didn't offend me I was just saying that I think being a wimp is better than being cruel
    I know. It was a joke (hence the smiley), inspired by the following comic:
    http://xkcd.com/186/

I say that thing that was hunting the dragons killed the real Brian and hides in his skin and talks/acts just like him
    There's just too many problems with this theory, such as Westhouse's behavior in Arcadia prior to the Dreamfall events. All explanations that try to accommodate for this are just too far-fetched.

Actiually, I intended to say 'they have trouble bashing (...)' but the 'trouble' part obviously didn't make it.
    Well... the response stays the same: if you want I can keep picking on you .

Quote Originally Posted by wandrew8 View Post
    Normally her ignorance of the Prophet's presence is explained by attributing some kind of invisibility to him [...]
    Maybe the Prophet is one of the Journeyrman regulars, so his entrance didn't catch Benrime's attention.
    But what really makes me wonder is why there's an ancient portal inside that inn?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemion View Post
    Maybe the Prophet is one of the Journeyrman regulars, so his entrance didn't catch Benrime's attention.
    But what really makes me wonder is why there's an ancient portal inside that inn?
    Exactly. And if Benrime is a seer, how could she have not known this?

Well... the response stays the same: if you want I can keep picking on you .
    Personally I'm fine either way.
    April Ryan is my friend,

Quote Originally Posted by Daemion View Post
    But she didn't see anyone at all:

April: Where did the man in the cloak go?
    Benrime: Who?
    A: The man who just walked in through the door. He was wearing a hooded cloak.
    B: No one fitting that description has been in here, April. It's a slow night. I would have noticed.
    A: That's impossible. I saw him walk in here with my own eyes.
    B: Well. I may be old, child, but I'm not blind. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have much to do.

Voltec not Xotec!
    Actually, that's an interesting point I don't remember having been made before. Normally her ignorance of the Prophet's presence is explained by attributing some kind of invisibility to him, but given their sudden discovery of the Journeyman as the Rebels' base I wonder... It did always bother me that in TLJ Benrime describes herself as a Seer, but in DF she suddenly says "I'm no wise woman".
    I never noticed this part, and it bugged me enough to reinstall the game and play up to that point.

There's a part of Benrime may have been having some fun at April's expense in the first game (you know, like when your dad would fill your head with nonsense about stuff just to make you shut up). On the other hand, Benrime in both games always seemed like a pretty serious person and not the kind of person to joke.

I wonder if the "fixing" of the Balance had unintended consequences on the Arcadia side in a similar fashion to Stark and Benrime lost her power. Or...hmm...time to play that scene over again.

EDIT: Replaying it, I suspect this is just a case of overexamination. I think Benrime could be a seer of sorts and still not be a wise woman. I suspect in this case, it should be Wisewoman rather than wise woman - as in a kind of rank (informal or not) present in a lot of societies who would serve as a cross between a counselor and pharmacist.
    Last edited by Sianna Tors; 09-17-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Maybe future changed, so had Benrime. Like a glitch in Matrix Or maybe Benrime is a bot in Dreamfall!!1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickless_One View Post
    I ate red and green apple this morning... OH MY GOD the dragons' spirits are fighting in my stomach!!1!l! ... I mean like people... restrain that wild imagination of yours a little bit ok?

fitz fixes a feist's fits Switched's Avatar
    But she didn't see anyone at all:

April: Where did the man in the cloak go?
    Benrime: Who?
    A: The man who just walked in through the door. He was wearing a hooded cloak.
    B: No one fitting that description has been in here, April. It's a slow night. I would have noticed.
    A: That's impossible. I saw him walk in here with my own eyes.
    B: Well. I may be old, child, but I'm not blind. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have much to do.
    Perhaps the guy is a really fast dresser and after having entered the Inn, he took off his cloak fast enough that Benrime didn't see it (she could've been miding her own business and didn't turn to look when he walked in right away). So technically she could've seen the guy, but as she said, she didn't see anyone fitting that description, which means she wasn't really lying...very convenient for her.
    "You should leave off sniffing the carcass of your old life, my brother. You may enjoy unending pain, I do not. There is no shame in walking away from bones, Changer. Nor is there any special wisdom in injuring oneself over and over. What is your loyalty to that pain? To abandon it will not lessen you."

Quote Originally Posted by Sianna Tors View Post
    EDIT: Replaying it, I suspect this is just a case of overexamination. I think Benrime could be a seer of sorts and still not be a wise woman. I suspect in this case, it should be Wisewoman rather than wise woman - as in a kind of rank (informal or not) present in a lot of societies who would serve as a cross between a counselor and pharmacist.
    Maybe, but that's the sort of 'lore giver' part she played in TLJ, on top of which she was also a Seer along the lines of the Dark People (she recognised April as a 'Wave'). This is in contrast to her depiction in DF, where she said "I'm no wise woman" (in response to something about Brynn, I think) and didn't see the Prophet. I just notice a general shift.

Perhaps the guy is a really fast dresser and after having entered the Inn, he took off his cloak fast enough that Benrime didn't see it (she could've been miding her own business and didn't turn to look when he walked in right away). So technically she could've seen the guy, but as she said, she didn't see anyone fitting that description, which means she wasn't really lying...very convenient for her.
    I suppose at a stretch, but it won't really wash with me. If it was so slow she would have noticed ANYONE who entered a second before April, and you'd hope their friendship and allignment would stop her mincing words with a Rebel leader unless she had something to hide.