Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working on the Painting Movie Crash

Working on the Painting Movie Crash

I have the game installed and patched to 1.61. It seems to run very well, but when I try to watch the movie "Working on the painting" in the first chapter it crashes. The movie starts and always makes it to the same place. It starts to pan around to where you can almost see her canvas then it looks like it tries to load something and then crashes. I can press escape to bypass the movie and keep playing but it is fairly annoying. Has anyone had some experience with this. I included a readout of my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

.................................................. .....................................
    Operating System
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    .................................................. .....................................
    System Model
    ALIENWARE m5500i-R3
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    Processor
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Main Circuit Board
    Board: ALIENWARE m5500i-R3
    BIOS: ALIENWARE 2.07 05/30/2007
    Drives
    160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    21.53 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    FO6411P AJP413F SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    FO6411P AJP413F SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5540A [CD-ROM drive]
    ST9160823AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0
    Memory Modules
    2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'M1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'M2' has 1024 MB
    Controllers
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    .................................................. ....................................
    Display
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 [Display adapter]
    .................................................. ....................................
    Default Monitor
    Seiko Epson 15.4 [Monitor] (15.4"vis)
    Bus Adapters
    SCSI/RAID Host Controller
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
    Multimedia
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Communications
    Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
    1394 Net Adapter
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Other Devices
    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Microsoft AC Adapter
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    UltraMon Display Mirror Driver
    USB Human Interface Device (2x)
    HID Keyboard Device
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad [Mouse]
    FTDI FT8U2XX Device
    Generic USB Hub
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub (5x)
    VCI3 USB-to-CAN compact
    VCI3 USB-to-CAN II
    Virus Protection [Back to Top]
    Norton AntiVirus Version 9.05
    .................................................. ................................

A few other people have reported getting the exact same crash. I'm not sure if any of them have managed to resolve it though.

The usual suspects for this sort of thing:
    - if you've forced AA on at the driver level, disable it again
    - disable hardware acceleration in the initial options dialog
    - disable your antivirus program (especially if it's Norton)
    - try installing the latest patch
    - download and install the TLJ demo, and copy the MFC and MSVC DLLs from it to your main TLJ folder (but don't replace any files that already exist)

fitz fixes a feist's fits Switched's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    A few other people have reported getting the exact same crash. I'm not sure if any of them have managed to resolve it though.
    either they haven't solved it or haven't given us feedback when they have. in any case, that issue is still in trial-error mode.
    "You should leave off sniffing the carcass of your old life, my brother. You may enjoy unending pain, I do not. There is no shame in walking away from bones, Changer. Nor is there any special wisdom in injuring oneself over and over. What is your loyalty to that pain? To abandon it will not lessen you."

I have tried all the items you gave me with no success. I have played the game without incident on my computer when I installed the 2 cd version. I lost that version when I moved, so I bought the downloadable version from adventure shop. The interesting thing is that it locks up during the same movie on two different computers. One of the computers I know could play the game without problems when it was the 2 CD version. I think that there just might be a problem in the one you download. Its weird. I guess I will just move on and hope that is the only thing that screws up. Thanks for your help.

It seems that this problem is occuring with downloaded versions (or at least most often). Maybe there's a bug that's not related to your computer at all. You should email the support just in case and be sure to say you have downloaded version, otherwise they'll ask you to return the CD-s you don't physically have. xD

In any case, I'll keep looking for the solutiond and see if we're missing something...
    "You should leave off sniffing the carcass of your old life, my brother. You may enjoy unending pain, I do not. There is no shame in walking away from bones, Changer. Nor is there any special wisdom in injuring oneself over and over. What is your loyalty to that pain? To abandon it will not lessen you."

Same problem

I have the same crash problem, also with a downloaded version of the game.
    I installed the patch, and disabled everything and still crashes.
    Has anybody found a solution?

Not yet. Have you tried contacting the support?

If nothing else works, try obtaining a savegame from slightly after that scene. If you can't find one, it's early enough that someone on the forum might help you out.

That "slightly after" happens after a long convo with Emma. I was hoping there would be a way to avoid that. The cut scene file seems to be damaged (that can be checked using TLJViewer but don't think that works with downloaded version, or does it?). Anyway, it would've been lovely if the file could've been replaced.

I've uploaded the save file, I hope it doesn't make a difference what version of the game it's from.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808629691

Another thing that should work is to find the cutscene that crashes (it's one of the .bbb files that are really .bik files with the wrong extension) and either delete it (I think I made it handle missing cutscenes) or replace it with a different one. I don't know which of the files, though, and haven't got TLJ installed to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Switched View Post
    I've uploaded the save file, I hope it doesn't make a difference what version of the game it's from.
    Not as long as it's the same language. Different languages have incompatible savefiles, and even if they load, you may run into problems later in the game. It's one of those things that always bugged me, but it got "broken by design" fairly early in development and nobody noticed it could be an issue until way too late.
    Last edited by Enno Rehling; 04-15-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Since I've been in the business of uploading random files from the game lately, I've also uploaded the cut scene.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1506756

Whoever is having problems with painting cut scene, can try replacing the file. Download the file and put it in Program Files/TLJ/Global/xarc and overwrite the existing file. Let's hope it works.

Now all we need is a test subject.
    Last edited by Switched; 04-15-2008 at 11:50 PM.

bingo!

brilliant idea. downloaded the .bbb cutscene and worked flawlessly.

Good news is a good news

*solved*

Hello. I have the same problem with the painting scene in the downloaded version and I will download the bbb file linked in the above post to hopefully fix the problem. Thanks so much for posting it.

Here's my question: do I still need to delete an old bbb or bik file? Or will simply installing the new bbb file above be all I need to do?

Thanks!

You won't need to delete anything, however when you copy the file into the relevant folder (as detailed above), it will ask you whether you want to overwrite the file or not. Just say yes and the old file will be removed and the new one put in its place!