Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck on Chapter 4

Stuck on Chapter 4

Hello,

I'm stuck on Chapter 4 at the part where you try to get the bird. I've already previously spoken to the Captain about the White Dragon, and the Sailor about getting him his bird. I've won the game, and know that I have to exchange the screwdriver (aka "magic wand") for the bird. However, every time I try to hand it over, and they talk about the exchange, April states that "she hasn't decided yet." No amount of me waiting, or running around, or talking to everyone all over again has changed this.

Any idea how to get past this?

Thanks.

Dreamworld Member
    Is it possible that you first have to tell the "man" what you actually want?

I can't remember having had this kind of problem, but her statement seems to indicate that you haven't "decided yet" what you want.
    But I could be wrong, it's just a guess
    Last edited by oxygen88; 08-04-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Did you talk to crow already? There must be something left to do.. mmh..

Well it doesn't really give me an option to decide. I've tried doing anything possible to "Crow" when he's in the cage in order to make it seem like I select him, but I dunno. Maybe this is a glitch of some sort? I've looked around and it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem ...

Dreamworld Member
    Can you talk to the "gamble-man", and if yes, what does he say?

"I'm not talking to you. You're a cheater!"

Dreamworld Member
    Oh, that's strange...btw, what version do you have (4CD or 2CD/DVD version)?
    If you have the 4CD version, you could send me the savegame of this location, so I can try it

I have the two CD / DVD version, I think. The one with both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall in the package. I dunno, I went back to one of my earlier saves in Chapter Three, and played from there ... and still the same result. She keeps saying "I haven't decided yet." I'm wondering if it's because I spoke to the Captain and the Old Sailor about the bird and everything earlier in the game during one of the other visits to Arcadia ... not sure why that would prevent me from being able to get the Bird now.

No one's ever encountered this problem before?

Dreamworld Member
    Okay, which chapter is it? I'll try to find a savegame my own, replay the scene, and tell you if I find what you could try out yet.

EDIT: Okay, I found the location and replayed this location - no problems.

Have you already given the screw--- ah, "magic wand" to the man? After that, you can decide if you want the talking bird, or you can "consider your choice".
    Last edited by oxygen88; 08-05-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Well, yeah, that's the weird thing. Everything I've read indicates you get the option to choose, but when I select the screwdriver to give to the man, he asks "Have I decided" and she automatically says something about still thinking about it. Looking at the bird doesn't work, and there's no option for me to select anything. It just ends the conversation and keeps doing the same thing every time I try to give him the screwdriver. I'm rather perplexed.

Dreamworld Member
    Hmm, strange. The last thing I can think of is that I write down what I did to get the bird; if you did the same, it has to be some kind of unknown.

Select the coins, "put" them on the cups, and wait until the cups are moved around. Choose your screwdriver and search for the cup which moves (it was the one in the middle in my case, don't know whether it has been randomized). Then the "man" talks to you about "how can you have won blabla"), and you'll get a calculator. Then you should give him the scewdriver, and then select "the talking bird".

That's what I did just a few minutes ago, and it worked.

Yeah, I've done all that multiple times. April just keeps on saying "I haven't decided" when he asks what exotic prize she wants, and there's no way for me to select something. It's getting to be pretty frustrating because clearly I can't move on with the game until I get the bird ... but it's almost as if there's NO way for me to get the bird.

No one's had this problem before?

I think I may have figured it out. There was one question I overlooked to ask Abnerxus, so I've asked, and seeing how that plays out ...

Dreamworld Member
    You could try to install some patches from the website, or - if nothing else helps - you could load a savegame from this site (or from someone else, who has got a savegame which is closer to your current location), and load chapter 5.

Sorry, there's nothing else I can think of that might help you

Same problem...

Hi did you then solve the problem in some way?
    Because I have the same issues and, moreover, I am playing it on the iPad so actually it is not really easy to download the save game -.-

Thank you in any case :3