Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Moments You Just Hate in Dreamfall

1. Vinnie at the Victory Hotel. Solved by Sunbeam's trainer. (Kill and forget.) He always manages to kill her when I fight him, despite my being able to soundly defeat everyone else in the game. And when I try to sneak past him without alerting him to my presence, he still abandons his pizza, comes upstairs, and manages to head directly for where I'm standing. So annoying, but not any more thanks to Sunbeam.

2. Grubbers in necropolis caves. Solved by Sunbeam's trainer. (Kill Warrior Grubber, break grubber script, explore at leisure.) April's somewhat clunky hiding mechanism combined with grubber noses made for a very frustrating time in this map. Killing the Warrior Grubber prevents the script from summoning more grubbers.

3. The crumbling stairs in the final necropolis region won't crumble for April if she's in combat mode. The problem is she can be at the trigger point and the Warrior Grubber can be off the steps and the script still won't trigger. It's frustrating, and happened to me the first time I played. (Now that I know about it, I'm careful to get a running start.)

I can't think of a fourth item even if it was allowed. All other fights are really easy, and ZŲe's hiding mechanism seems to work better than April's (maybe because she's standing instead of crouching).

Why the caves and the hotel? I mean, it was the whole idea that you would find it scary and creepy... What dozens of horror movies could never do happened to me several times in the game: that I really lifted from my seat because something really creepy surprised me. So I found that one of the highlights of the game actually.

But to continue the list:
    1- The ending didn't give me closure.
    2- Kian's character (not worked out very well).
    3- Reza (the selfish bastard whom I hold personally responsible for ZoŽ's death... I mean, come on, I would never put my girlfriend's life on stake).

Quote Originally Posted by remired View Post
    3- Reza (the selfish bastard whom I hold personally responsible for ZoŽ's death... I mean, come on, I would never put my girlfriend's life on stake).
    Correction: You'd never put your girlfriends life on stake knowingly. And to be honest, Reza never did. He asked her to pick up the Data Cube, and the Ee got her. But they dodn't kill her. He asked her to bring the notebook to the Hand that Bites, and that wouldn't have killed her either. He simply asked her to do some stuff that might cause a little disfavor from the Eye, but that's all. The rinsking her life bit ZoŽ managed on her own.
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

Ok I found very stupid the following moments:

1. The kiss between ZoŽ and Damien - it was far too quick so it seemed very superficial.
    2. The White Dragon appearing as a sexy woman - that was very 'kitsch' actually.
    3. The freaky girl scenes, which seemed cut out of a stupid movie.

There are other moments as well, like the overuse of a mobile phone in a computer game which was simply boring, but these are probably the most annoying to me.
    "The Experience of Sacred Space makes possible the founding of the world: where the sacred Manifests itself in space, the real unveils itself, the world comes into existence." - Mircea Eliade

1. Hiding behind the altar to watch the trolls open the door. (-Knowing the combination and seeing it used but not being able to use it until doing the right mouse click & observe thing. This was the only part of the game where I needed a hint.)
    2. The second kiss between ZoŽ and Cavanaugh (It crashed my PC, leaving me to wonder if I'd missed anything. :-O )
    3. April's sudden change in ambition after speaking with the guardian. It seemed out of character. She gave in too readily.

before I say this I actually thought a lot of story points were amazing because they were dark and scary. (e.g. factory. I was having chills despite the fact that it turned out to be a unnecessary fear. nice sound and all. Nice to freak someone out and transition into Faiths' story. facing fear and conquering it type)

AANYWAY 3 things I hated in the game

1 - underworld . I am okay with sneaking, I am okay with major puzzles. What I am not okay with is trying to do the 2 things at the same time. I had to use a cheat because I was too scared to move around with the warrior grubbers. Couldn't explore and hear April commenting on things, couldn't even go and look at the symbols. (yeah I get scared easily) I was just trying to pass it as quickly as possible

2 - Border house or rather having to race across border house so as not to have to fight the thug. There is a lot of story development going on in this area where Zoe starts to get more pieces of the puzzle. There should be a way around without having to fight the guy, hence without having to avoid him and run as fast as possible (and miss all the fun)

both of these cases what if there was a easy mod or hard mode: one for challenge and realistic game play, the other for exploring. Life would be easier that way.

3 - the kiss between Zoe and Damian. Nothing against the pilot but this was one place in the WHOLE game where modest graphics really wanted to make me scream. (the SINGLE place). First time around it took me most of the scene to realize they were kissing. A kiss is more than just two heads joining and just staying there.

honorary mention 1 - the actual dreamcore part of the core. personal choice: I hate racing against time and trying to sneak around. as easy as it is I always get scared. (but again the fact that game got me scared means it was successful because Zoe was scared)

honorary mention 2 - spices: TLJ had a way of skipping long walks and such. While, again I see the reason behind the design choice, I would love to skip long walks, especially when I replaying the area for 4th time.

Already dying

So we have active threads for The Longest Journey for over 3 years. Dreamfall begins dropping off within one year - hence the gaps in posting on this thread and others!

Seems the proof is now in - TLJ has knocked the socks off Dreamfall!

I guess most people that played and loved the frst game, enjoy returning to newport and the border house/Victory Hotel, even if it is now a deprrssing wast land, its just about my most fav part of the game. I loved going back to Aprils old room, and finding out what happened to charlie and emma. I wish charlie had kept that free play juke box at the frindge

Lee-m: yes, i just love whole Venice part as well, it's so sentimental for people who were with TLJ for so many years and were waiting for it (I remember myself making lists of characters who would appear in the second game according to me). But I also hate that part at the same time: it's so freaky! I can feel the adrenalin every time in the Border House (damn Vinnie and the guy in sheet upstairs).

So my hate part woukld be:
    1. Border House freakiness
    2. Necropolis
    3. everything after April being stabbed...When I am replaying the game now, I just stop after that part and load the end to just watch... I don't really care about Faith and that whole part with putting Zoe to sleep is weird.

oh, and special prize: Damien. He's so weird. Too much sweet...eeeh....
    There is no chosen one, April. There are only those who would and those who wouldn't.
    (Cortez)

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrin View Post
    I don't really care about Faith and that whole part with putting Zoe to sleep is weird.
    This is kinda funny when keeping in mind Ragnar's comments on Dreamfall being about faith and Faith...
    April Ryan is my friend,

I don't hate any part of the game, I love almost all of it, but i'd say the weakest aspects are:

1: The combat, all of it, it doesn't really add anything to the game.
    2: Being forced to use the focas field for the April / rock troll door combination
    3: Running away from the big trolls when chaseing the profit.

The April Caves / ruin puzzle gives you everything you need to solve it, so im not going to list it as being weak.

If I could have a forth, i'd say the fact you can't look up or down very much, its annoying, and I wanna look to the top of the tower !

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    2 - Border house or rather having to race across border house so as not to have to fight the thug. There is a lot of story development going on in this area where Zoe starts to get more pieces of the puzzle. There should be a way around without having to fight the guy, hence without having to avoid him and run as fast as possible (and miss all the fun)
    But there is. I didn't fight either of the thugs in the Border House in my first game. (I did fight them in the second game, just for variety.)

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    honorary mention 2 - spices: TLJ had a way of skipping long walks and such. While, again I see the reason behind the design choice, I would love to skip long walks, especially when I replaying the area for 4th time.
    Well, you didn't have to return the spices to the vendor, which would shorten that up quite a bit. Though he doesn't like that very much

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    So, I'm not the only one then
    Neither of you are both the only ones.

Now that some time has passed and I can think of TLJ and Dreamfall, and my feelings toward thinking of playing TLJ again versus playing Dreamfall again, I think I can say that the three worse parts of the game for me were the last THREE quarters of the game!

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the next part, for Ragnar to explain at least something...to put things in pespective for me and make me admire his work once again. Because I know this will happen.
    Hm... the game is about faith, huh? I got it, it's about how much we believe in Ragnar himself.-)
    Because till now, he's being very cryptic. Reminds me of Cortez: he just gives us more questions, no answers.
    There is no chosen one, April. There are only those who would and those who wouldn't.
    (Cortez)

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrin View Post
    Because till now, he's being very cryptic. Reminds me of Cortez: he just gives us more questions, no answers.
    Well, he did invent Cortez... maybe he based him on a certain someone..?
    April Ryan is my friend,