Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Moments You Just Hate in Dreamfall

1-Hands down the troll cave. Those things irritated the crap out of me, and I didn't even think to listen to them before the puzzle which turned out to be a rampant problem amongst players. Even though the solution was obvious afterwards, I couldn't recall the melody they vomitted for my life. And then there was that awful hiding thing you had to do when you discovered the hidden doors.

2-The fat man in the Victory hotel and his sheetless mattress. Freaked me out.

3-The contrived first meeting of April and Kian. April acted so out of character. Since when is she so biased and judgemental?

The three worse parts were easily....

1) The first time April was in a conversation in the game
    2) The first time April spoke to Zoe
    3) The way April got killed.

All these and any other scene with April was a disservice to all the TLJ players who shouted from the rooftops about how great TLJ was - and especially April as a character, and made TLJ the fantastic hit and highly praised game it now is.

1. Along with everyone else: the freakin' necropolis. Do those Grubbers have CCTV in there or something? I did a test, woke the giant Grubber and then ran across the whole place and hid in one of the ruined chambers to see if it would quiet down eventually and go away. Did it hell. Damn thing came straight to me.
    2. This is a bit random, but that scene in Alien The Cat where Zoe is talking to Olivia about what she just saw on the screen (the vision of Faith and the black house). Every detail of it. Of something that we just saw ourselves. And then...they just...kept on... talking. No conversation options, no nothing. You had to sit and grind through the whole thing.
    3. The Border House. Okay, I got a thrill from the scariness, but on the whole it was just incredibly depressing.
    Last edited by Tullis; 07-04-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullis View Post
    1. Along with everyone else: the freakin' necropolis. Do those Grubbers have CCTV in there or something? I did a test, woke the giant Grubber and then ran across the whole place and hid in one of the ruined chambers to see if it would quiet down eventually and go away. Did it hell. Damn thing came straight to me.
    You can hide from it; but only in a couple of places

Caves!!!

I found most of those parts scary too, but then I'm a big scaredy cat. But I could've tolerated that over the caves!!! I practically died of fright. I hated having to run from those giant monsters, I could hear my heart beating in my ThrOaT! But boy... that part didn't scare me from having to play it.

one: the Victory hotel! Those zombie like people freaked me up. Every time i turned around and bumped into one of them my heart nearly stopped.
    two: running from those spiders in WATIcorp was really annoying.
    three: when Zoe and Damien kissed... that was totally unnecessary. and boring.
    four: (I know it says only three) Zoe in the caves. I also had to try all the possible combinations...
    Last edited by Arya; 07-05-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Cool .:3 Moments...

I finished dreamfall ohh...around March 23rd, I'd have to say I hate these the most...

1.) The Victory Hotel
    2.) Caves (Both April and Zoe)
    3.) Spices

I must be easy to please or something because none of those things bothered me.

It totally grieves me that nobody so far has put the death of April Ryan in their list. As a TLJ fan from 1999 (when it was released in the UK) I despair of how easy we forget one of the greatest characters ever created in a computer game.

Not any parts that I hated in Dreamfall, per se, but I definitely got the shakes while playing as Kian each time: all I wanted to do was get back to playing Zoe's storyline.

Dreamworld Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .mike View Post
    Not any parts that I hated in Dreamfall, per se, but I definitely got the shakes while playing as Kian each time: all I wanted to do was get back to playing Zoe's storyline.
    That's funny, this is just what I wanted the most, too!

Quote Originally Posted by humorguy View Post
    It totally grieves me that nobody so far has put the death of April Ryan in their list.
    That's probably because a lot of folks aren't convinced that April is actually dead.

Grapgrim, talk about living in the future! At this moment in time, April is dead. The White Lady is dead, April's village has been massacred and Kian has been arrested.

So sorry. But April IS dead until we KNOW otherwise. So to ignore as gamers are is a very sad thing in my eyes and makes me suspicious of how much a fan of the game posters really are. Because surely we're here to talk about what was IN Dreamfall and The Longest Journey, not about things that haven't happened yet and that we could possibly not know.

1: The Gobbler of TLJ... christ, i was 9 years when i first played it, and they throw that at me? Geez... (yeah, i know TLJ wasn't included...still)
    2: The Undergrownd cave with April... Being scared, sneaking around, not managing, and going crazy over it only to be scared again is not my idea of a good time... sorry
    3: um... can't think of any more....
    April Ryan is my friend,
    Every sorrow she can mend.
    When i visit her dark realm,
    Does it simply overwhelm.

Upon further thought, I disliked the very last cutscene in the ending of Dreamfall that occured "3 months later". Without going into a tangent, I can say that for me, regardless of the wider effects of her actions or the unresolved conflicts surrounding her, Zoe's character, experiences and accomplishments would have stood on their own as a complete and satisfying story. Zoe had acheived some personal goals and made many strides. Abruptly taking the focus away from her finale(?) and putting it back on the wider conflict (in a cut scene that didn't particularly offer up any important confirmations that couldn't have been saved for the next chapter, in my mind. Zoe's narrative had already touched on what I wanted to hear about) spoiled the ending a bit by trying divide my investment in the story. It felt like running over an abrupt tense shift in a good bit of captivating prose and being completely stopped by it, though obviously it's a matter of personal preference which tense I had decided to favour (if that makes any sense).

Or maybe I'm just being George Castanza. "Okay, that's it. Zoe's had her fade out and it was a good place to leave off; that's what I cared about, the curtain is lowered, no need to remind me of the coming unresolved dangers. I'm leaving on a high note!"