Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: April Ryan is not dead. I have proof. *spoilers?*

.. sometimes a storyteller writes a plot and he don´t need to explain if something´s seems to be loose. (Yes I know its just fiction! ) For example: The Lord of The Rings, when the Balrog takes Gandalf into the Underworld. Gandalf The Grey is not dying... he becomes Gandalf The White... (Dont ask why, I just tell it like the story is!)
    So then April dies, okay not really, she just change (White Lady ?).. its a metaphor (My head is a beehive!)

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    .. sometimes a storyteller writes a plot and he don´t need to explain if something´s seems to be loose. (Yes I know its just fiction! ) For example: The Lord of The Rings, when the Balrog takes Gandalf into the Underworld. Gandalf The Grey is not dying... he becomes Gandalf The White... (Dont ask why, I just tell it like the story is!)
    So then April dies, okay not really, she just change (White Lady ?).. its a metaphor (My head is a beehive!)
    lol April is pale as is already

Yeah! And take a look on the cover ...

Aside from the appearance of a wound that would not be immediately lethal, there's the fact that April can breathe water. In any case, I think it's enough that April hasn't done everything yet that she's been prophesied to do. I'm confident we'll see more of her.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoods View Post
    Lady Alvane, ain't April...she is both April and Kian's mother!
    You mean in a "Luke, I AM your father..." sort of way?

And I have to say, if Lady Alvane turns out to be someone other than April Ryan, I'll be royally PO'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWolfman View Post
    ...and I found myself with tons of time to play TLJ and DF back-to-back.
    So, as someone new to TLJ who just played both games back-to-back, how did you think they worked together as and original game and its sequel?

Good luck with the job!

.. then Futurama comes to my mind, when it turns out that Fry is his Grandfather....

There is only one piece of evidence that can prove April cannot die, and it most certainly is not Lady Alvane which could be anyone.

Who remembers the prophecy surrounding April Ryan in The Longest Journey. To paraphase the quote. "You are she who will save the balance, only later to destroy it." At the end of The Longest Journey she has indeed saved the balance.

However, I do not recall April Ryan destroying the balance. How can April die if she has not yet fulfilled the prophecy? At some point April has to destroy the balance, she cannot die until she has, or the prophecy would not be fulfilled.

The most logical thing as that she opened a shift and went to Stark, where her wounds could be treated easily with the advanced medicine. I recall the White Kin said she needed Crow to open a shift. But most likely Crow helps her focus her powers, like Cortez did. After she relearned how to do it she wouldn't need Crow anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    The problem is, that she has already brought the chaos: Collapse in Stark, War with the Azadi in Arcadia.
    Or Gordon/the Prophet/someone another did that.
    You have a terrible temper and are totally incapable of social or domestic life? Congratulations, you are a genius!
    April Ryan versus the Prophet: the battle begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    If Gordon did it, it's still April's fault. she made him capable of doing it. Anyway, what I'm saying is that she doesn't need to be do it literally with her own hands.
    Then Hitler's grandmother is guilty for bringing fascism and World War 2.
    You have a terrible temper and are totally incapable of social or domestic life? Congratulations, you are a genius!
    April Ryan versus the Prophet: the battle begins!

Quote Originally Posted by OTIS0310 View Post
    There is only one piece of evidence that can prove April cannot die, and it most certainly is not Lady Alvane which could be anyone.

Who remembers the prophecy surrounding April Ryan in The Longest Journey. To paraphase the quote. "You are she who will save the balance, only later to destroy it." At the end of The Longest Journey she has indeed saved the balance.

However, I do not recall April Ryan destroying the balance. How can April die if she has not yet fulfilled the prophecy? At some point April has to destroy the balance, she cannot die until she has, or the prophecy would not be fulfilled.
    There is in fact a very simple way in which April can fulfill this prophecy even if she is dead: she could destroy the Balance by inaction.

Let's say for example that in the (near) future of Dreamfall the Balance again is in peril and again April is the only one who can save it. Except that she is dead. Therefore, by not saving it, she has in fact destroyed it. It's all a matter of perspective of course, but it is very possible.
    'Demons run when a good man goes to war.' - River Song (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzo View Post
    Let's say for example that in the (near) future of Dreamfall the Balance again is in peril and again April is the only one who can save it. Except that she is dead. Therefore, by not saving it, she has in fact destroyed it. It's all a matter of perspective of course, but it is very possible.
    I don't like that sort of argument, since it can equally be applied to all sorts of people -- there's no reason to single April out as "the one who could have saved the Balance if she wasn't dead".

For the prophecy to be valid, then, I think that either April is still alive and will do something to destroy the Balance in the future, or she is dead and did something when she was alive that will destroy the Balance in the future.

Besides, failure to save something is not the same thing as destroying it. The latter implies action, even if unwitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    I don't like that sort of argument, since it can equally be applied to all sorts of people -- there's no reason to single April out as "the one who could have saved the Balance if she wasn't dead".

For the prophecy to be valid, then, I think that either April is still alive and will do something to destroy the Balance in the future, or she is dead and did something when she was alive that will destroy the Balance in the future.

Besides, failure to save something is not the same thing as destroying it. The latter implies action, even if unwitting.
    Make sense to me

I think it is interesting that the prophecy said April must destroy the balance to bring about reunification of the two worlds. This suggest to me that the reuniting of the two worlds is necessary or else they will be lost or destroyed. Also, that suggest that there is active opposition to reuniting the two worlds, perhaps by the undreaming or something else. The force of science and magic being united might be too great for whatever is seeking to either control or destroy earth, so it is in its interest to keep the balance in place at least for now.

Ragnor as we know is deliberately being vague about who Lady Alvane is . . . April, Zoe or someone else?

But the way he wrote originally hinted, strongly, in favor of April:

April: Did you bring me here?

Old Woman: You brought yourself here, but yes, I opened a doorway for you.

The simplest explanation - April in trying to escape her pursuers brought herself to the vicinity of the mysterious door, where upon the Old Woman opened the doorway.
    But it could also mean - I guided my younger self to come to where the mystery door is located.

April: Why?

Old Woman: Because that's how the story goes, April. You escape. You outrun your pursuers, and your journey continues. It's been written, and we cannot change that now.

It seems like this outcome had already been written and could not be changed now. Who did the writing? Zoe? Lady Alvane? Historian? Other? (Ragnor doesn't count)

Old Woman: Listen to me, April. You must go on, you must be brave. They all depend on...on you. And you can do it, you can get through this. Just remember what's important and what's not. Remember who your friends are, and trust them, let them help you.

My impression was from the Old Woman hesitating at "on...on" that she was about to say "on me" and caught her self. Ragnor could have left the "on...on" out but chose to write it that way for a reason.

April: Maybe I'll see you again?

Old Woman: Oh, I'm quite certain of that. Quite, quite certain.

I doubt April met Lady Alvane in the 10 intervening years between TLJ and Dreamfall.
    I feel if she had met her, she would have had a far different attitude than we see in Dreamfall.
    This could imply two possibilities that she will meet Lady Alvane some time in the future or she has already met her in the form of Zoe.

From April's Diary Entry,
    There was something about her, something so disconcertingly familiar that I can't help but trust her implicitly. Not to mention the fact that she helped me out when I most needed it. It's really strange how much she seemed to know about me, and it's so frustrating that she wouldn't tell me more.

She didn't know Zoe at that point, so how could she seem "so disconcertingly familiar" to her if it was Zoe? When she does meet her, trusting Zoe is not in the cards. April is not the trusting type.This makes it is very unlikely that Zoe is Lady Alvane.
    Some argued that Zoe could have lost her accent in the intervening years, but how and why? When people live in another country from where they grew up, their accent may lessen over the years but it never goes away. You would need to make a very conscious and deliberate effort on your part to lose your accent, usually through voice coaching lessons, and why on earth would Zoe do that?

Crow : I guess...yeah. Of course. Unless...you're not planning on going out there again, are you? On a new adventure? Cause I dunno, I'm kinda happy staying here.

Lady Alvane : Don't worry, Crow. I think our adventuring days are over. But that doesn't mean we can't tell stories, does it?

My impression is Zoe is not the adventuring kind, she had a purpose to what she was doing and it was not about seeking adventure. April to me seemed to seek adventure, almost crave it. Yes, there was a purpose to her adventure, but the idea of being on an adventure was important to her.
    Finally, Crow may be very angry, disgusted and disappointed in April at the end of Dreamfall, but they have a special bond of heart brought about by their adventure together in TLJ that cannot broken. You could see that bond when he embraced her with his wing in spite of his anger of being abandoned by her years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmm View Post
    Make sense to me

I think it is interesting that the prophecy said April must destroy the balance to bring about reunification of the two worlds.

Dreamfall, but they have a special bond of heart brought about by their adventure together in TLJ that cannot broken. You could see that bond when he embraced her with his wing in spite of his anger of being abandoned by her years ago.
    That conversation you're talking about can go either way. It all comes to to PoV, (point of view.)

As for going back on subject. We know that April is alive, because Lady Alvane as said that Zoë as already saved her.
    Last edited by MissionVao; 01-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    "You must save her, Zoe....."
    www.blackhope.net/dreamfall.htm
    “Our lives are like flames on the wind, waiting for our salvation to begin.”

Quote Originally Posted by MissionVao View Post
    As for going back on subject. We know that April is alive, because Lady Alvane as said that Zoë as already saved her.
    Where did Lady Alvane say this? Do you mean as in the White Lady is Lady Alvane?