Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamview (Dreamfall model viewer)

Lightbulb Dreamview (Dreamfall model viewer)

DreamView is a Dreamfall model viewer, which allows you to view whole scenes, single models and animated characters of Dreamfall in a free-fly-camera mode.
    It also features exporters and imports (currently under development) which allow exporting of geometry and also Dreamfall game modding.

I will post updates and new versions in this thread; the links in this opening entry will always point to the newest version.

To run dreamview, you need the .net runtime 2 :
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    and a new version of DirectX (9.0c april release or newer) :
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
    Of course you also an installation of Dreamfall
    It has been reported not to work on some older graphic cards, I haven't found the bug yet (didn't have the time to find an old gc to be able to debug)

If Dreamview doesn't run on your computer, or if you find other bugs, or have feature recommendations, please post in this thread. In the case of a crash, please set verbose to 3 in the options, restart & reproduce the error. A logfile.txt will be generated - please post or mail (vertigo80 (at) gmx.net) it with the bug description, so I can try to fix it.

There is no documentation yet (only what you find in this thread), but there will be a short manual in form of a readme.txt from the next release on.

DOWNLOAD DREAMVIEW / SOURCE CODE
    http://tobiaspfaff.com/blog/2008/03/12/dreamview
    Last edited by pinkunozou; 01-10-2016 at 03:01 AM.

The next dreamview release (beta3)
    I tried to include as many of your suggestions as possible.

new features :
    - fullscreen mode is back! (needs a scene reset, so hangs a bit on switching)
    (press esc to quit fullscreen)

- more animations & effects supported !
    >frame animations (sliding doors, birds, vehicles, the steam machines, etc.)
    >texture animations (torches, ...)
    >u/v scrolling (smoke, the winter vertex, etc. -> look at dream_chamber)
    note that some of the effects will look strange, since I don't do distance sorting yet, so objects will be drawn in the wrong order sometimes (to be seen in the arboretum water looking white now, or the wine bottle on zoes balcony, that will vanish when looking through the window, for example)

- Fixed some memory leaks and changed resource allocation, so dreamview won't increase memory usage with each loaded scene anymore. Shutdown and window resize should also be faster now.
    (I made some assumptions here that work for me - if you see any strange things happen especially during window resize, like textures going black etc. plz tell me)

- use of a "real" installer -> will install in program files, not in obscure directory.
    also fixes directx version problems, as the required dlls are included in the installer

- you can invoke dreamview via command line, either with dreamfall paths (i.e. dreamview /art/locations/.../bla.sir) or real file paths (i.e. dreamview "c:\program files\dreamfall\bin\res\...\bla.sir").

- as requested, new control keys :
    so we've got now arrow keys/pgup/pgdn for cam move, and Q/A,W/S,E/D for scene rotation (+,-) for xyz axis

- some bugs fixed in lighting code

- character animations will now restart when loaded

http://niklasjung.ch/webhost/pinkunozou/dreamview.zip

source code (as the project has gotten bigger, I now set it under the GPL)
    http://niklasjung.ch/webhost/pinkuno...amview_src.zip

and as always, plz feedback me on bugs and feature requests

Critical error

I previously had beta 2 installed removed it, rebooted, and installed beta 3.

When run, the following message box is displayed:

Critical Error occurred:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object refer to logfile.txt for details

There is no logfile.txt in the DreamView directory.

Quote Originally Posted by hwboy4
    Critical Error occurred:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object refer to logfile.txt for details
    edit prefs.ini in the dreamfall directory (or create one if there isn't), and put a line
    verbose = 3
    in. if there's a pak path entry, delete it.
    if you do so a log file should be generated, which you can send me (vertigo80 (at) gmx.net), so I can check out the error

Quote Originally Posted by hwboy4
    Critical Error occurred:
    thx for the logfile, the bug is fixed now.
    everyone who experiences the same problems, redownload, uninstall & reinstall beta3.

You've done a wonderful job at providing new features, pinkunozou! All I can say is, 'Well done!' This tool allows us to explore areas of Dreamfall we wouldn't be able to in-game.

I've got a couple of things to bring up, though. First of all, and as I've said I don't really care, DreamView still doesn't work on my laptop. Same error as before, and the logfile.txt is unuseful like before (it cuts out midline and doesn't display any data relevant to the failure). Turning off full hardware processing = all blue, nothing visible anywhere.
    [edit: Actually, it shows this:
    Code:
    Dreamview beta 3a event log
    loading scene idx file
    initialize graphics : adapter 0,fullscreen False, pure True, shading True
    graphic adapter info :
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
    \\.\DISPLAY1
    type Hardware format X8R8G8B8 stencil format D24X8 flags PureDevice, HardwareVertexProcessing
    vertex shader v0.0
    pixel shader v2.0
    saving settings to prefs.ini
    ... and turns out that's probably quite useful.]

The other thing is that I can't seem to view the whole undergroundcave scene [edit: on my desktop]. Sorry if this is a known issue and I missed it. The error stuff is [edit: This is regarding my desktop and its nVidia GeForce 6600GT. It can view other scenes, as far as I know, just fine and supports full hardware acceleration. It's my laptop that simply won't view anything.]:
    Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at DreamView.parseBundle.getModel(String bunname, String smrname, String find, Single& rescale)
       at DreamView.ParseFrame.loadHierarchy(SNode node, String smrfile, String bunFile)
       at DreamView.ParseFrame.loadHierarchy(SNode node, String smrfile, String bunFile)
       at DreamView.ParseFrame.fromSir(String file, String bunFile, Matrix parent)
       at DreamView.Scene.addScene(String scene)
       at DreamView.MainForm.loadScene(String[] obj, String bundle, Boolean singleAnim)
       at DreamView.MainForm.tree_DoubleClick_1(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

[...]
    The logfile.txt:
    Code:
    loading scene idx file
    graphic adapter info :
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 
    \\.\DISPLAY1
    type Hardware format X8R8G8B8 stencil format D24X8 flags PureDevice, HardwareVertexProcessing
    vertex shader v3.0
    pixel shader v3.0
    loading blitzmap art/lights/undergroundcave.dat
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/marcuria_underground.sir
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_vivid_shvol_op_alphatest.sdr#vivid_shvol_op_alphatest
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_plain.sdr#plain_vertexcolors_and_fog
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_vertex_shvol.sdr#vertexvivid_shvol
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_plain.sdr#plain_additive
    loading shader art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/shaders/underground_cave_waterfall_opacity.sdr#waterfallshader
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_plain.sdr#plain_fog
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_effect.sdr#glow
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_billboard.sdr#billboard_simple_additive
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_plain.sdr#plain_additive_one_one
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_vivid.sdr#vivid
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_vivid_nobump.sdr#vivid_nobump
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/marcuria_underground_colvols.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/marcuria_underground_dynamic.sir
    loading shader art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/shaders/underground_effect_eggbeam.sdr#underground_cave_eggbeam
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_plain.sdr#plain_no_fog
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/marcuria_underground_dyn_rock.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/marcuria_underground_dyn_rock.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_caveboat.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_templedoor.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_fish.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_rope.sir
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_vertex_shvol.sdr#vertexvivid_morph
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_planks.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_magicdoor.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_puzzleicons.sir
    loading shader art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/shaders/underground_cave_musicpuzzle3.sdr#music_buttons_fade_fx_morph
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/grubber_fishingspear.sir
    loading shader art/shaders/generic_subtractive.sdr#blitz_nobones
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/grubber_fishingspear.sir
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_portal.sir
    loading shader art/locations/marcuria/journeymans_inn/inn_cellar/shaders/cellar_effect_portal.sdr#cellar_effect_p
    That was when I chose "Quit" on the error message. If I choose "Continue" and then exit the program, there are these extra lines:
    Code:
    loading sir art/locations/marcuria/underground/underground_cave/anim_hoodedmanboat.sir
    saving settings to prefs.ini
    Last edited by sireebob; 06-25-2006 at 12:16 AM.

Can I also export geometry to a 3d application such as max or maya? I really would like to mess around with zoe's model a bit.

Nude model uh? Tssk tssk tssk

Dreamview (Dreamfall model viewer)

Not being a "Tekkie" can someone explain what this Dreamview is? And how do I install it? Is it a modified version of Dreamfall or does it change the Dreamfall game I now have installed. Please help as I don't understand what this is. Thanks, Jaguar10

It's a Dreamfall model viewer. It allows you to view objects and actors and animations from the game separately, or as part of a whole scene. It allows for better angles and exploration of areas you can't see very well in the game otherwise.

So, say you wanted to take another look at the animation of April getting killed on the pier. You could do that. You'd only see April, and you've only see her performing the motions of being stabbed and falling, but you could do it. You could also take a better look around the Dark People's Library or the cave under Marcuria.

DreamView isn't a game, nor does it have any gamelike features. E.g., you can't walk around on a path or anything like that. You move or rotate a camera through a scene in which a single object or actor may be present or a whole environment from the game may be present. It's useful for taking screenshots.

First of all, you have to ask yourself if you really have any reason to use it. You don't have to get every little tool there is available for a game - that's not really necessary. If you're not a "Tekkie", chances are you wouldn't have much of a reason to use this anyway, or it would be too time-consuming (for me) to explain every little detail of what needs to be done to get it working. I'll briefly describe what needs to be done, however.

Get the latest DirectX.
    If you don't have the .NET Framework 2.0, get it here (if you have it, it will appear in Add or Remove Programs as Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, in which case you don't need to download it).

Now, download dreamview as linked to in the opening post. Extract it, install it, run it (Start > Programs > DreamView > DreamView), set any necessary options, and expand a scene in the TreeView to see what models you can view. Double-click on an object (or display whole scene) to view it. Click and drag with the mouse over a scene to rotate the camera, use the arrows keys to move around, PgUp and PgDown for up and down... All the keys are described in the opening post.

If you run into trouble with any trivial tasks, such as extracting dreamview.zip, downloading and installing the necessary prerequisites, or accessing Add or Remove Programs, DreamView is probably not the program for you.

Prince of Procrastination

Uh oh

Thanks for creating this program. Unfortunately it gives me errors on startup and when I try to load any of the models. I have DirectX 9.0c and just installed .NET 2.0. Couldn't get anything related to the error in the log file. Here is the error message though:

Unhandled exception has occurred... The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
    at DreamView.Scene.get_isReady()
    at DreamView.MainForm.renderPanel_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArg s e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandlin g(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    DreamView
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/DreamView/DreamView.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/DreamView/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/DreamView/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Quote Originally Posted by krushia
    I have DirectX 9.0c and just installed .NET 2.0.
    It's not enough to have DirectX 9.0c. You have to have a recent release (not given on Windows update) that's also called DirectX 9.0c but has extra stuff, like support for managed DirectX. Find it from Microsoft. I think I link to it in a previous post here. Apologies if you already have that, too.

Prince of Procrastination

Thumbs up

Alright, I installed the latest DirectX 9.0c build and it works now. Useless Windows Update doesn't offer this, as I see you mention in the Black House thread.

Probably best to direct people to the info you have posted there:
    http://black-house.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=535

Thanks again, this is really nice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sireebob
    loading scene idx file
    graphic adapter info :
    this is rather strange, is says it's trying to open a d3d device with full d3d9 accelaration, which obvious your gc doesn't support. It shouldn't because from beta3a on it will only open a hardware device if you select "use full hardware acc." AND it's supported by your gc, none of which is the case. Can't see a reason why it would do that in the code... Maybe I'll go find some old graphic card in a dusty box deep in the cellar so I can debug.

The undergound cave thing was just a minor bug, I already fixed it. I'll upload the fix tomorrow or so.

about the exporter, (so that one can "mess around with zoes body" ) it's coming in the next release. I know I've been ancouncing the exporter for some time now, and given that I have a lot of stuff at university to worry about it might still take some time. There was a basic x-file export option in an old version (which basically consisted of 1 directx command) - but it's not so easy to do it the right way. The DX SDK isn't really made for saving x-files, the methods for that are rather random, buggy & undocumented, so it's not just putting the option back in.

I was looking for a more suitable file format some days ago, and came to the conclusion that most widespread file formats are crap .3ds is an outdated mess, .max format changes every 10 seconds and the older quake/HL/etc. .mdl files either support only 1 texture, no bones or no frame hierachy whereas the newer ones can't be read by most apps. So I probably stay with .x files which at least support the features I need and can be read by most apps (if not, convert them with blender3d (free) or milkshape(shareware)). Still, file format suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by pinkunozou; 06-23-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Sounds nice! Maybe .OBJ would be a decent format. But .x will do fine.
    Can't wait for the next release.