Thread: Meaning of Azadi

Meaning of Azadi

My native language is Urdu & Azadi means literally "Freedom"....maybe thats a joke coz the Azadi are taking away peoples freedom....
    Also urdu is the language of Muslims, & the Iraqi, arabs etc are all muslims so it could be a reversal as someone said in the forum earlier that the arab/muslim people are occupying western looking people.

Voltec not Xotec!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinza
    My native language is Urdu & Azadi means literally "Freedom"....maybe thats a joke coz the Azadi are taking away peoples freedom....
    I think the name is probably intentional. Given how much research the other names in the game have, I don't doubt for a moment they were named that on purpose.

One of the saddest things about the Azadi is like most crusaders or conquerors, they believe they are doing the right thing. They believe they are giving their way of life and advances to the world. In fact, they're so convinced they're right that they're willing to enlighten people by force.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinza
    so it could be a reversal as someone said in the forum earlier that the arab/muslim people are occupying western looking people.
    Though Westernized history teaches the world that the ascendancy of Europe was pretty much a historical inevitability, I don't think it's as much of a sure thing as many of these back-patters would have us believe.

Especially during the middle ages, when the Islamic world was much more advanced in both war and science, things could have gone very differently. In some ways, I think Dreamfall started with a seed like that. The Azadi are certainly more scientifically advanced than the Northlanders, and that science gives them an advantage (think about the attack on the swamp city - everyone assumed the Azadi would be attacking by water and had set up their scouts accordingly. But the Azadi came by air!). But I think the writers of the game threw in other things to make the Azadi seem very much of a different society - for one thing, it's matriarchal instead of patriarchal.

in hindi azad means free. and azadi means freedom :-) and i have seen many girls with similar face like zoe in india :-)
    i found my lode star
    which shines for me from me afar

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...kashi_0218.gif

Yeah the Islamic nations could have easly whipped our pasty white butts. But we are lucky!

Is Zoe from Casablanca. If yes does it mean she is arab? Casablanca is an arab city.

Zoe is from london but her father moved to Casablanca for a change of pace or something.

Coulden't you tell from her loverly bristish accent?

Voltec not Xotec!
    I don't think nations and nationalism matter as much in Stark of 2200 as it does today. Castillo is not an Anglo last name, and Zoe doesn't look very Anglo. Dad's probably from Spain or something, moved to the UK, then probably later moved to Casablanca, which apparently is one the nicest places in the world to live on Stark.

In terms of name and the freedom goal, can also be a similarity between the Azadi and Azad Hind.

I don't know the meaning of the world Azadi, but they reminds me the Cruzade made from the Christian between the XI and XIII century. At least for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Vincy85 View Post
    I don't know the meaning of the world Azadi, but they reminds me the Cruzade made from the Christian between the XI and XIII century. At least for me..
    For me it reminds me more of the spread of Islam in its beginnings. Those who were not of certain religions and were considered heathens by the Muslims conquers had a choice, convert to Islam or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmm View Post
    For me it reminds me more of the spread of Islam in its beginnings. Those who were not of certain religions and were considered heathens by the Muslims conquers had a choice, convert to Islam or die.
    I don't know very much about Islam, but the Goddess could be the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary...but maybe you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincy85 View Post
    I don't know very much about Islam, but the Goddess could be the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary...but maybe you're right.
    I am just talking in a generalize way, not the details. There is no exact fit between what the Azadi are doing and what has occurred in our world. I suppose Ragnar was inspired by the behavior of several religions.

Azadi is actually a Persian loanword, which probably came to the Sub-continent with the Mughals. I imagine it has similar currency in Arabic (like so many other Persian words).