Thread: cell phone hacking

Angry cell phone hacking

Is anyone else finding the cell phone hacking minigame extremely difficult? I have the Xbox version of Dreamfall, and I'm stuck near the beginning of Chapter 11/Faith where I have to hack an access panel. I think I've tried about 50 times now without success, and I'm about ready to take the next scramjet to Oslo to show some people at Funcom just how painful a pointed symbol can be. Is anyone else having trouble with this, or am I just really bad at symbol recognition?

Didn't have any problems with it at all, finished most of those on the first try with plenty time left. I did play the PC version, however on TV with a XBox360 gamepad, so while thats not the same as the real XBox version it should get reasonably close, unless of course they changed the time limit or other evil things.

I haven't had any issues so far (but I'm only in Chapter 5). While I don't have trouble recognizing the symbols as a whole, you may find it easier to concentrate on one part of the symbol, look for that, then quickly compare to make sure it is the proper symbol. If not, continue your search.

Does the timing become quicker as you go? Perhaps you have a particularly difficult one.

Not sure if the timing changes, but you have to match more symbols later in the game which makes things more difficult, symbols also switch around after a while, so that already made connections break and have to be redone.

A madness to your method

I solved this puzzel by dividing the symbol up into the three pieces and looking for the top, bottom and then the middle. First I would look for the top shape (carret), the bottom (parenthesis) and then the middle (three slashes), for example. Strategy usually works better than just flailing away at it.

Oh, and keep those beers upright!

pSyCHoSpiLLeR

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I was finally able to successfully hack the panel after a few more tries - it really helped to look at only 2/3 of each symbol. Anyway, I've now finished the game and really loved it, even with the cliffhanger ending. It's going to be a long couple of years waiting for the next installment of the story.

If it's any consolation to you, I screamed at my television quite a few times during that hacking session. Very annoying puzzle/mini-game.

Thumbs down I fucking hate the phone hacking...

I canít believe that Funcom screwed up this beautiful adventure with such absolutely pointless, frustrating, useless, shitty puzzle. After trying to hack the bloody Waticorp elevator for days (and i mean i spent hours trying to get the phone hack right) they manage it again with the god damned car hack. And if the number of slots in the hacking display is anything to go by there will be even more (see previous profanities) hacking challenges up the road.
    That Funcom managed to make a puzzle so god damned unforgiving where there is no way to progress unless one has a very specific ability (to be able to pick out 1 single item im a myriad of similar items) is lost on me.

HEY FUNCOM, the clever thing to do would be to make the puzzle gradually more forgiving, or to have a game setting where one can set the difficulty of these puzzles. From being an enjoyable game, this is turning in to something horribly frustrating.

What the hell did your game testers think, or do you only employ multi dexterous elite humanoids at Funcom. God damn.

I am so angry no I can't think straight. I know this, I will be very careful buying my game in the future, especially from the Funcom fuckers.

If anyone has any problems with my unnecessary use of profanities, try to play the profanity ridden game. I am just so angry that here the use of profanities is warranted.

It was weird, I never had any problems with the cell phone hacking until Chapter 11, and then I crashed and burned probably 10 times before I got it. I still haven't figured out why the difficulty was suddenly ramped up like that. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsandRings
    It was weird, I never had any problems with the cell phone hacking until Chapter 11, and then I crashed and burned probably 10 times before I got it. I still haven't figured out why the difficulty was suddenly ramped up like that. It was crazy.
    Was that when you were trying to get access to the car's control panel? Because that's the part that practically had me throwing my Xbox controller around the living room in frustration.

Yes, it was.

Cell phone hacking

Well I have finally found out a way to deal with the hacking bit.
    I take my digital camera, snap a pic of the telly without flash, and then I can in my own quiet comfort find the symbols I need one by one.

Strangely, cheating like this gave me way more satisfaction than solving the Waticorp elevator hack. :S

Quote Originally Posted by xOr
    I take my digital camera, snap a pic of the telly without flash, and then I can in my own quiet comfort find the symbols I need one by one.

Strangely, cheating like this gave me way more satisfaction than solving the Waticorp elevator hack. :S
    I don't get why did you have to duplicate your posts.. Anyways. Hope it works out.

dahniuru

Quote Originally Posted by xOr View Post
    I canít believe that Funcom screwed up this beautiful adventure with such absolutely pointless, frustrating, useless, shitty puzzle. After trying to hack the bloody Waticorp elevator for days (and i mean i spent hours trying to get the phone hack right) they manage it again with the god damned car hack. And if the number of slots in the hacking display is anything to go by there will be even more (see previous profanities) hacking challenges up the road.
    That Funcom managed to make a puzzle so god damned unforgiving where there is no way to progress unless one has a very specific ability (to be able to pick out 1 single item im a myriad of similar items) is lost on me.

HEY FUNCOM, the clever thing to do would be to make the puzzle gradually more forgiving, or to have a game setting where one can set the difficulty of these puzzles. From being an enjoyable game, this is turning in to something horribly frustrating.

What the hell did your game testers think, or do you only employ multi dexterous elite humanoids at Funcom. God damn.

I am so angry no I can't think straight. I know this, I will be very careful buying my game in the future, especially from the Funcom fuckers.

If anyone has any problems with my unnecessary use of profanities, try to play the profanity ridden game. I am just so angry that here the use of profanities is warranted.
    I agree with your message. I've wasted several hours at the car near the end of the game; and there is no way I'll spend more time with it. Enough stupidly prepared puzzles. A little frustrated, but I'll go elsewhere for future games.

Quote Originally Posted by xOr View Post

But the symbols don't seem to be in the same places the next time through. And the symbols to find change each time through. No way to skip this puzzle makes it even more irritating. It's not funny, Funcom!!!