Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: A game LIKE TLJ and Dreamfall?

Quote Originally Posted by Datro
    Oh, and question for anyone-- I'm debating between getting "Beyond Good & Evil" and "Indigo Prophecy." Which is better?
    Beyond Good & Evil. No contest.

Verbose Hyperbolist Lee in Limbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.oliver
    @Lee in Limbo: That's a nice list of adenture underdogs, thanks.

It's curious though, with a few exceptions you seem to like the games I generally wasn't very fond of: first person cinematic adventures, usually in the tradition of either 7th guest or Phantasmagoria (9 CDs!)...

Also, somehow I always connected that sub-genre with the demise of On-Line Systems/Sierra...
    I played a number of the Sierra games, but most of them didn't really appeal to me. I just latched onto a handful that really caught my imagination. And yeah, while I'm not precisely a fan of first person, cutscenes or FMV, I do like those three-dimensional environments very much, when done well. Some of my choices ride that line a little too closely, but I managed to get enough into the games to forgive their foibles, so they win points from me.

Any game where I feel more like I'm playing a game (or watching a movie, though that excuse is really losing its weight with me lately) than experiencing and adventure is Somebody Else's Game. Keep me in the narrative and in the environment and I'll suffer your gameplay without complaint. Make me think you're trying to impress me with your intelligence by asking me pointless trivia questions in the form of 'puzzles' (not problem solving, I mean actual minigame puzzles and brain teasers. Fun though they may be, they knock me right out of the narrative, and only really interesting environments bring me back) and I'll finish your game (probably witha walkthrough) and walk away without comment. I also won't buy the sequel. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by s.oliver
    Generally, I would also second buying Keepsake, but only if you're heavily into puzzles - there is a nice story and lots of dialogue, though the working cast comprises of just a hand full of characters, but the main focus lies on riddles, logical schemes and mini games which get more and more demanding as the underlying tale unfolds.
    Oh yeah, Keepsake is without a doubt a puzzle-laden adventure story. The story isn't as deep or as involved as TLJ, for instance, but it's pretty solid, pretty gripping, and except for one or two performances that could have been a little more intense (father/daughter), and one performance that really needed to be toned down (vendor), it's actually pretty captivating.

The puzzles are fun, even when they're a little strange and hard to penetrate at times. They belong where they are. It's a little gimicky, but it works. It's a vast little game, and I appreciated that, especially in this 'Adventure Games are Dead' age. Didn't look dead to me. Just looked like it was desperate to make me believe again. Well, I may be a fool, but I'm still a believer.

Plus, it's a very pretty third person CGI animated point and click adventure with good dialogue, numerous camera angles, and lots of things to see, even though it all takes place in and around the school. Nothing was left out. Few details were shown that you couldn't interact with, and stuff was shown just about everywhere you could go that at least made you wonder. It was a very well realized game. I hope that Lighthouse Interactive gets to do more in the future.
    Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
    Losing Faith in Fandoms

"ohh...gravity - dodgy force, that - can't trust it..." ~Sozdanee

Quote Originally Posted by Datro
    I definitely agree with you about the lack of interaction in Syberia. That was something that really bothered me when I first started playing it-- the world was so incredible looking, and I wanted to be able to click on things and find out more about them, but alas, I couldn't. So my first impression wasn't so great.
    Same here. I really wanted to click on things and people to know what Kate had to say/thought about those, not to mention that it can be used sometimes as a way to deliver subtle hints on the less logical puzzles. But most of all it serves as a means to get you involved into the story, no matter how "epic" it is.
    But as the game went on, it really grew on me. I actually like the fact that it wasn't yet another "save the world... you are the chosen one!" plot, but rather a simpler, more personal tale of self-discovery. It was a refreshing change.
    amazing, the very same thoughts I had Although I still prefer the "save the world... you are the chosen one" plot of TLJ
    Oh, and yeah, that clock puzzle in Syberia 2 was kind of annoying, I have to agree with you there! I still don't know what I was supposed to do
    I know it now, but I still don't know why I had to doit that way... there were a couple of other puzzles that you had to solve mostly by trial and error, playing with the buttons on panels, but they were much easier since the options weren't so many as all the combinations of the two hands of a clock...
    Syberia 1 was better in that sense.
    yes, but the second was a bit more rewarding (and longer), and although the story was kinda silly in the beginning (it was interesting to me just because I played the first beforehand) it really grew on me in the final chapter, the ending was great. Still the plot was weak, overall, IMHO, and just like the first game (and Paradise, the newest game from Sokal which I'm playing right now) it lacks all the "soul" of games like the two TLJs, as I already stated earlier in this thread

Both the Syberia games and the Longest Journey games stayed with me long after I finished them
    yes, but to me TLJ was much better in that regard, I'm already forgetting about Kate Walker, I will never forget April Ryan and Zoe Castillo (whatever their fictional destinies really are, in R. Tornquist's mind)
    Oh, and question for anyone-- I'm debating between getting "Beyond Good & Evil" and "Indigo Prophecy." Which is better?
    I never played BG&E, I played Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and it was a very cool game, although you'd better not expect a plot that gets even a bit close to TLJ (actually, if it was a movie, it would be blockbuster crap, contrary to Dreamfall), even though the characters are strong and you get attached to them.. also, you'll probably find yourself addicted to the open ended nature of the story.

Beyond Good & Evil is probably better, at least plot-wise (that's not hard to achieve...), but I'm not in the mood to try action-oriented games right now, I'm totally into adventure games these days, and I feel the genre is heading for a new dawn
    Balance provides.

Psyconaughts Rules! Play Psyconaughts!

"I am going to remove your brain...strap it into an armored battle tank then force it to SHOOT down innocent civilians with it's concentrated psychic DEATH BEAMS!....

Fortunately this is all covered by your insurance"

Quote Originally Posted by hierogrammate
    I, too enjoyed Advent Rising, though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a sequel. Majesco ruined such possibiliy. The Mustard brothers might continue it someday, who knows...

As for the reviews, ack, it seems they just saw it as a Halo-clone. I played Halo, and AR's storyline was just in another league alogether. Halo, as fun as it was, always felt to me as just another pretty-looking FPS. And story? What story? That was just veneer, since Halo was apparently built mainly with multiplayer mode in mind, and I've never really cared about multiplayer. Many of those reviewers seem to be multiplayer-centric (and would probably hate Dreamfall since it doesn't have mulltiplayer... just imagine it: multiple Zoe's running around--just running, since they can't jump--hacking each other's mobiles for hours on end).

Sure that can be fun (and I play a couple of MMORPGs), but I like the more introspective, in-character, temporary suspension of disbelief of the single player experience.
    You and I both agree on this. I don't see how it is a Halo clone by any means.. I mean why? O it must be because they both are about Aliens. I agree with you Halo2 was a blast it's fun but the story line sucked IMO. The multi player is cool but gets old after awhile. If we are talking story and over all fun of the game than Advent Rising blow Halo out of the water.

I loved Advent Rising. But I never did hear anything about a sequal. Did it get sunk, or is there still hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie
    I loved Advent Rising. But I never did hear anything about a sequal. Did it get sunk, or is there still hope?
    Well last I read they scratched the sequel for PS2 and Xbox; however I HEARD and it seems like I saw something about a version of it coming out on the PSP. Now wether they are taking it from where the first one left off or starting a new story or just putting the existing one onto PSP I dunno. I'll keep my eyes out though and post here somewhere if I find out anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestas
    I never played BG&E, I played Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and it was a very cool game, although you'd better not expect a plot that gets even a bit close to TLJ (actually, if it was a movie, it would be blockbuster crap, contrary to Dreamfall), even though the characters are strong and you get attached to them.. also, you'll probably find yourself addicted to the open ended nature of the story.

Beyond Good & Evil is probably better, at least plot-wise (that's not hard to achieve...), but I'm not in the mood to try action-oriented games right now, I'm totally into adventure games these days, and I feel the genre is heading for a new dawn
    I've played both, hence my recommendation. BG&E has a much better storyline -- although you are left hanging a little and sadly the chances of a sequel are looking remote at this point. It does have a lot of action and a bit of stealth, but I thought they worked out quite well, and weren't too tricky even for a not-really-action gamer. (I don't know how they compare to Dreamfall's, since I'm still waiting for my copy.) And (at least on PS2) it has one of the best menu interfaces I've ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Jestas
    but the second was a bit more rewarding (and longer), and although the story was kinda silly in the beginning (it was interesting to me just because I played the first beforehand) it really grew on me in the final chapter, the ending was great. Still the plot was weak, overall
    My biggest problem with Syberia 2's plot is that Kate isn't really given enough incentive to through all that trouble to find Syberia. At least in Syberia 1, she has a legitimate reason to find Hans. Still, with some suspension of disbelief, it becomes pretty engaging, and yes, the final chapter is great (gotta love those penguins!) The actual ending, though, wasn't quite as fulfilling as I'd hoped.

Fallout
    Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel (ps2)
    Monkey Island 2 & 3
    Blade Runner
    Chronomaster
    Resident Evil 4
    Hybrid Heaven
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Nocturne
    D

and ....

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD
    Fallout
    Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel (ps2)
    Monkey Island 2 & 3
    Blade Runner
    Chronomaster
    Resident Evil 4
    Hybrid Heaven
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Nocturne
    D

and ....
    I'm not quite sure how RE4 is like Dreamfall at all.

Is this just turning into a 'List the best Adv. games' thread? :P

Similar to Dreamfall (I don't have it yet, but I can guess):
    Syberia 1 & 2
    Beyond Good And Evil
    Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
    Grim Fandango
    Escape From Monkey Island (Fourth game in series)

Others I'd definitely recommend:
    Paradise
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Monkey Island 1, 2 & 3
    Psychonauts
    Any other Lucasarts adventure games
    <<< CrazySonicFan >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Crazie
    I'm not quite sure how RE4 is like Dreamfall at all.
    Not at all I would say, RE4 is a, quite well done hollywood-style action game, meaning lots of shoting and cool action, but very little story or puzzles to care about. Its not much closer to Dreamfall than say Doom3, ie. not at all. The former ResidentEvil parts (0, 1, 2, 3, CV) on the other side are quite a bit clother to Dreamfall, lots of story, puzzles and exploring and much less monsters to shoot then in RE4. They are basically exactly how an adventure game in a horror settings should look like.

Not sure if I saw these... I love story in games and I agree with a lot of what's been said, but these two NEED to be played:

Eternal Darkness (GameCube)
    Gabriel Knight (All of them)

Gabriel Knight Series
    Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic
    Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Phantasmagoria

I'm playing system shock 2 right now, its awesome.
    Ill have to check Blade Runner out, I liked the movie, and the book is one of my favorites, its calls Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.