Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A game LIKE TLJ and Dreamfall?

If you can deal with the action both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 have good and emotional stories. I really liked the story in The Moment of Silence (point and click adventure game). Not as emotional as Dreamfall, but great if you like sci-fi.

I second Grim Fandango, and Deus Ex if you like conspiracy thrillers/sci-fi and are ok with either stealth or action (it's your choice, the game can be completed with as few as three (scripted) kills, only two of which involve action).

Humn... I see a trend here. All the games I've mentioned involve conspiracies of some kind.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Shenmue. In my opinion, the Shenmue games for Dreamcast and XBOX were the most immersive games I've played. They had a much larger scope then Dreamfall, but there are also many similarities. For one, the Shenmue games featured a combat system like Dreamfall (though it works much better and makes more sense). It's also a story driven adventure title (despite Yu Suzuki's claim that it has its own genre) with several plot twists and turns, though the first game is fairly straight forward. The Shenmue saga is also incomplete, much like the Longest Journey saga - though granted, it's much more likely we see Dreamfall 2 then Shenmue III.

As for the differences, the English voice acting sounds pretty bad, and doesn't manage to hold a candle to what's in TLJ and Dreamfall. Also, while TLJ and Dreamfall were divided into science fiction and fantasy, Shenmue takes place in a more realistic and quasi-modern eastern world.

Anyway, I highly recommend checking out Shenmue and Shenmue II; particularly since SII on the XBOX is fairly cheap nowadays. If you liked Dreamfall, there's little to no reason you wouldn't enjoy it.

Another game that somewhat reminded me of Dreamfall was Fahrentheit, though for some reason I lost interest in that game fairly quickly. That's just me, though. I've heard good things about it, and many of my friends think that it's one of the greatest adventure titles out there.

Some of my favourites:

System Shock
    BioForge
    Hero's Quest
    Legend of Kyrandia series
    Flashback
    Out of this World
    Most LucasArts/LucasFilm adventure games

Looking back, it looks like good adventure games nearly disappeared in the last couple of years as everyone was focusing on RTS and FPS games

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Shenmue. In my opinion, the Shenmue games for Dreamcast and XBOX were the most immersive games I've played. They had a much larger scope then Dreamfall, but there are also many similarities. For one, the Shenmue games featured a combat system like Dreamfall (though it works much better and makes more sense). It's also a story driven adventure title (despite Yu Suzuki's claim that it has its own genre) with several plot twists and turns, though the first game is fairly straight forward. The Shenmue saga is also incomplete, much like the Longest Journey saga - though granted, it's much more likely we see Dreamfall 2 then Shenmue III.
    I actually bought my Dreamcast just for Shenmue 1 and 2, but sadly I have never finished either game. Consoles irritate me so much that even with games as good as those, I can't get into them. :/

Another game that somewhat reminded me of Dreamfall was Fahrentheit, though for some reason I lost interest in that game fairly quickly. That's just me, though. I've heard good things about it, and many of my friends think that it's one of the greatest adventure titles out there.
    It's definitely one of the best in recent years. It's funny, as much as people complain about the no-answers ending in Dreamfall, I still prefer it greatly to the ending of Fahrenheit. Things are wrapped up, more or less, but the last couple hours feel so rushed it nearly ruins the rest of the game.

Some of these have already been mentioned (and for good reason) but they deserve to get mentioned again.

Beyond Good & Evil
    Syberia I & II
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Jade Empire

It's been so long since I've played most of my adventure games so I can't remember exactly what they were all like. I think there was a good one about Atlantis from about 10 years ago but I can't remember the name. The Riddle of the Sphinx and The Omega Stone were good too if I remember correctly.

Although the story isn't "out there" like Dreamfall; I thought the No One Lives Forever games (especially NOLF 2: A Spy in HARM's Way) were well written and thought out. The games have perfect atmosphere and lots of wit. NOLF was a game that could be enjoyed to the smallest of details because it was so well made.

Quote Originally Posted by cate_kroft
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Syberia I & II
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Jade Empire
    Thank you for mentioning Jade Empire. I thought it was odd that it hadn't made it onto anyone else's list yet.

I guess I was in the process of registering when you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 605
    Thank you for mentioning Jade Empire. I thought it was odd that it hadn't made it onto anyone else's list yet.
    That's probably because it's an exclusive Xbox title. Only those who play Xbox games would have played it and most people here seem to be primarly PC gamers. A pity, it's such a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchX
    There are several games that sucked me in close to TLJs and Dreamfall's level of addiction:
    Another World/Out of this World
    Fahrenheit
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
    Shadow of the Collosus
    Ico
    Gothic 2
    The Moment of Silence
    The Last Express

Beyond Good & Evil is probally the closest to TLJ/Dreamfall in terms of setting (even so its still quite far, but at least a female protagonist).

Another World is probally the only game that I love as much as TLJ, its quite a different game and a much shorter one and doesn't contain a single line of dialog, but it caputures the feeling of entering another world, friendship and trust just as well, probally the most "intense" game ever created. From the distance it might look like a jump'n run, but its really is more an adventure game, in some ways its like a 2D version of Fahrenheit.

Shadow of the Collosus and Ico are platformers ala TombRaider, but with a twist, great fantasy story without to much.

Gothic 2, while the story runs a little dry after some 20 hours of play time, whole game takes easily 60h, the first few hours are quite good and do a good job of letting the world feel alive.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, brilliant athmosphere and setting and while the story is small, its still extremly well told. I avoided the two successors of that game, since they completly changed the athmosphere, added unneeded violence and from a story point of view they are neither needed or usefull.

The Last Express, kind of a different kind of adventure, you are in the orient express and have to solve a murder, the whole game however players in (almost) realtime, meaning things happen around you all the time, no matter if you do something or not, thus giving an unmatched feeling for the reality of the situation.

And there is of course Fahrenheit, the end is a little rushed, but the overall game is just brilliant, from the action elements that actually intergrated into the story, to the not so classic use of the environment and items, even the tutorial is extremly well done and one can freely mix subtitles and speech in whatever combination of languages one wants.
    Last edited by grumbel; 05-02-2006 at 03:46 AM.

Beyond Good & Evil
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Day of the Tentacle
    Fahrenheit
    Half-Life 2
    Ico
    Monkey Island series
    Myst series
    Out of this World
    The Pandora Directive
    Sam & Max
    Sanitarium
    System Shock 2
    Vampire: Bloodlines

Is there a common thread? The only one I can think of is a great storyline. They're otherwise a pretty eclectic bunch

Cavebear

I THIRD those.

Also Outcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Miral
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Myst Series
    Vampire: Bloodlines
    See, I liked the stealthy portions of Beyond Good and Evil. It wasn't all that sophisticated (just staying out of the line of sight), but it was fun. But I suppose they couldn't put that level of stealthy-ness into Dreamfall, since it's not very realistic to scatter industrial equipment everywhere.

I know some people dump on the Myst series, but I've loved it since the original. Even Uru (though not online). I always liked the difficulty of the puzzles, forcing you to examine every detail of the game world (though I thought End of Ages was a little easy).

I played through Bloodlines twice. First as a Toreador, then a Malkavian. Gotta love the Malk! Also the scariest game I've played since Clive Barker's Undying. The haunted Hotel, the abandoned hospital, and the diseased cult building had me jumping out of my seat several times, and there aren't even any enemies in the hotel or hospital!
    Seriously.

I doubt there will ever again be two games more story-line immersive than Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. Black Isle is dead and gone. Obsidian may pick back up their mantle, but even if they do fairly well, I don't think they'll ever be quite as good as Black Isle was in their day.

Ah, and I'm forgetting BG&E. Not as epic as Torment and BG2, but for its length of experience, still pretty damn amazing.

I'll also support:
    Psychonauts
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Sanitarium
    Gothic 1 & 2
    Arx Fatalis
    Fahrenheit (although the "action" sequences were annoying and distracting)
    Planescape Torment

On the other hand I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE the Syberia games. Absurd mechanical puzzles are barely tolerable in the Myst games, but Syberia takes it to whole new levels of absurdness (not in terms of difficulty, they're just stupid puzzles). It's like the story was built around the puzzles, rather than the other way around. Just can't stand it.

Paradise looks like more of the same so I'll probably pass on that too.

The Moment of Silence was pretty good, but the puzzles were hard and sometimes overly complex (you get the right idea but your missing one detail and can't figure out why the obvious solution isn't working).

Actually Cyberia (with a C, not an S... different game) was pretty good too. Though personally I found the arcade sequences a bit too difficult, the puzzles were awesome. It had some great visuals too (for the time), though I don't think the storyline was as strong as the ones I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Veraxus
    On the other hand I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE the Syberia games. Absurd mechanical puzzles are barely tolerable in the Myst games, but Syberia takes it to whole new levels of absurdness (not in terms of difficulty, they're just stupid puzzles). It's like the story was built around the puzzles, rather than the other way around. Just can't stand it.
    There are obviously "Syberia"-people and non-"Syberia"-people. Personally, I can't stand adventures which have no memorable characters (for example, Syberia) and almost no emotional response of the main character to objects, places and persons in the game (like in Syberia). The backrounds in that game were very nicely done, but incredibly empty. That had a kind of appeal during the first hours, but got very, very boring pretty fast.