Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A game LIKE TLJ and Dreamfall?

A game LIKE TLJ and Dreamfall?

There are several games that sucked me in close to TLJs and Dreamfall's level of addiction:
    TLJ
    Dreamfall
    Anachronox
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Deus Ex

NOT Syberia....even though I loved it.

To the lovers or TLJ and Dreamfall, which games would you recommend to play? I think the STORY is the MOST important part of these games, so they could be FPS, or RPGs or any. Please, do not say Oblivion (I beat it anyway).

I'd say Anachronox is just as focued on the adventure story as TLJ and Dreamfall.

Any other games?

Maybe its just my addictive personality... but this list is probably going to be big...

Broken Sword Trilogy
    Monkey Island Quadrology
    Knights of the Old Republic (Sith Lords sucked)
    Neverwinter Nights Trilogy
    Call of Duty 1 & 2 (FPSs can suck you in too)
    Baldurs Gate 2, Syberia 1 & 2 (already mentioned)
    Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon games (lots of them)
    Prince of Persia Trilogy

i could go on an on...

If you really want to play a game that'll suck you in and make you connect with the characters, then play THESE games:

Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts

Dreamworld Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBear
    If you really want to play a game that'll suck you in and make you connect with the characters, then play THESE games:

Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Good suggestions. I second those .

I TOTALLY agree on "Beyond Good & Evil". I must have played that game 10 times during the last two years. But then again, it doesn't take that much time (last perfect completion time being less than seven hours... but I got very, very fast... ).

Anachronox really had atmosphere, you can't state that enough. Music, characters, environments, humor - loved it (particularly Dr. Ro Bowman ). I never finished it, though... at some point, I just didn't continue... for a reason unknown to me... maybe somewhen else. But I hear it's like Dreamfall... it doesn't end, but gives you a cliffhanger instead.

Monkey Island was fantastic - that is, except that really, really bad fourth part. Sold that one two months ago. Amusement parcs in the Carribbean? Where did the piratey atmosphere go to? If they were doing a fifth part (and it doesn't look like that), I'd go for ultra-realistic 2D-backrounds and a "Pirates of the Carribbean"-flair. That'd be fantastic.

Maybe I'll get Psychonauts later this year. When it came out, I couldn't play it due to my video card, but now that I upgraded...

Fabrock, if you haven't already, try Lucas Arts' "Grim Fandango" as well. I must say, it sucked me in as well. The game has an incredible setting, quite unmatched in its originality. Mixing film noir and maya culture to create a "land of the dead"... unfortunately, the game doesn't run on XP (as MI3). Even ScummVM doesn't help...

There are also ...

Planescape Torment,
    Soulbringer,

two games that came out around 2000. They do an amazing job of creating atmosphere and a game world with enormous depth. Deus Ex is of course an all-time classic that has not been surpassed yet. Knights of the Old Republic is an excellent suggestion; KOTOR II is still good, too bad that Lucasarts cut the production short, would have been excellent otherwise.

Hmm....are there any books like this? Something totally OUT of whack like Dreamfall? ORIGINAL and CREATIVE? Not some dragons and goblins thing...

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchX
    Hmm....are there any books like this? Something totally OUT of whack like Dreamfall? ORIGINAL and CREATIVE? Not some dragons and goblins thing...
    Try Iain M. Banks culture novels, for example Excession. This guy is a genius with absolutely brilliant ideas, considered by quite a few people as the best current sci-fi writer. Writes also non sci-fi novels under the pseudonym Iain Banks (no M.).

Quote Originally Posted by Quantomas
    Try Iain M. Banks culture novels, for example Excession. This guy is a genius with absolutely brilliant ideas, considered by quite a few people as the best current sci-fi writer. Writes also non sci-fi novels under the pseudonym Iain Banks (no M.).
    Hmm....is it just sci-fi or ir is it adventure that keeps you wondering all the way to the end for it to make sense?

Some sci fi books I read were DULL...

I wonder if Code Davinci is like that?

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchX
    Hmm....is it just sci-fi or ir is it adventure that keeps you wondering all the way to the end for it to make sense?
    Exactly. It's sheer amazing how many incredible ideas you usually find in Banks' novels, these things keep coming and coming and sometimes you start to wonder how this can possibly be topped, but it usually always is all the way to the end. Never a dull moment.

i LOVED

still life- unfortunatly the shortest game ever but loved the gameplay and storyline
    gabriel knight series
    syberia 1 and 2
    broken sword series
    shivers series
    phantasmagoria series

alot of those games are old gen games (made in 1990's) but u can get em off amazon.com
    besides TLJ/Dreamfall i want to buy:
    paradise
    alan wake

I'm sure most people who are genre fans have played the majority of these, but just in case:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Planescape: Torment
    Fallout 1 & 2 (Tactics had a much better combat system but lacked in the story dept.)
    Arcanum (more of a love it or hate it kind of game)
    Deus Ex (just do not ever consider playing the sequel)
    Thief series (III is debatable)
    Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy for the US/censored version)

As for Grim Fandango, I've installed it on XP not that long ago with no problems. I didn't use ScummVM, just the normal installation plus the launcher and patch from grimfandango.net. I probably had to put the shortcut into 95 or 98 compatibility mode, but it just worked otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by anonalias
    still life- unfortunatly the shortest game ever but loved the gameplay and storyline
    That was a great game, with an absolutely abysmal ending (there's just no possible way to explain what happened, it's one big plot hole from hell) ... and it was another middle part of a trilogy (Post Mortem was the first part, and a pretty good game despite the reviews it got), only unlike Dreamfall, there's no way the third part can ever be made.

alot of those games are old gen games (made in 1990's) but u can get em off amazon.com
    besides TLJ/Dreamfall i want to buy:
    paradise
    alan wake
    Paradise should be in US stores tomorrow, but Alan Wake is waaaaaaaaay off still. Hopefully Remedy has some news at E3, but I'd bet it's still more than a year from completion.

I'd suggest Sanitarium as well - pretty amazing adventure (great dark story), but not very well known I think

Dreamworld Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vainamoinen
    Fabrock, if you haven't already, try Lucas Arts' "Grim Fandango" as well. I must say, it sucked me in as well. The game has an incredible setting, quite unmatched in its originality. Mixing film noir and maya culture to create a "land of the dead"... unfortunately, the game doesn't run on XP (as MI3). Even ScummVM doesn't help...
    Runs on my XP SP2 computer. I played it again about 4 months ago. Another one of those great "sad it's finished" games.