Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Extracting pak files?

thanks, I'll check it out
    Balance provides.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkunozou
    it also extracts the directory structure of the pak-file which means real filenames
    Thats sounds great, could you upload the source code as well, so that I and others can have a look?

pinkunozou > well, it doesn't work with the french version, the .exe crash when trying to access resource.pak

grumbel > the extractor works pretty well but dreamfall-dialog.exe creates an empty dialog.po (french version, so it's english + french subtitles). If you're interested I can send you the 0212.dat file.

Quote Originally Posted by Draikin
    pinkunozou > well, it doesn't work with the french version, the .exe crash when trying to access resource.pak
    >Draikin
    i could only test it with the english version... and yes, i guess it's still a bit buggy at the moment,...
    if you send me a screenshot of the crash-screen (the stuff that shows
    in the console window after the crash) I can maybe fix it

>grumbel: i'll upload the source as soon as i get back to my computer at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Draikin
    hmm.. i guess some files in resource.pak don't behave like i think they should
    I can't test it, though, since resource.pak is not included in my (english) version.
    you can try renaming it to resource.bak before running the indexer, or skip the indexing alltogether by copying my generated directory.txt file into bin\res. (extract http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin.../directory.zip)
    Last edited by pinkunozou; 05-17-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbel
    Thats sounds great, could you upload the source code as well, so that I and others can have a look?
    here's the c# source
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin...reamex_src.zip

since the extraction method is not completely trivial I also wrote an explanation about the pak structure and ways to extract it

http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin..._structure.txt

have fun

Here a list of all possible filenames for almost all .paks (produced by brute force guessing going backwards from the final file entry). Seperate file entries are seperated by a double newline, stuff not seperated by a double newline produces the same hash. I left out vox_en_00.pak - vox_en_003.pak and laidback.pak, those contain too regular names leeding to far to many colliding hashes to be useable. One of course still needs to cleanup all the hash collisions, but it should allow to extract all files:

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...ll-indices.zip

Newest source code is available at:

http://clanlib.org/~grumbel/

Quote Originally Posted by grumbel
    One of course still needs to cleanup all the hash collisions, but it should allow to extract all files:
    problem is, you can extract every file but you get it like 10 times each, 9 of which have garbled pathnames. -> creates a lot of strange directories etc.

cleaning up the list is rather hard i guess, the only thing i could think of so far is checking if path is valid and extension is of a known type.
    Maybe it would also help to first create the directory structure of the "known-to-be-right" files, and then kill all of the possibilities that don't fit in

Anyone who knows after translating the dialogs from Dreamfall, how to add them back to the PAK file so the game to be translated?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GombeTo
    Anyone who knows after translating the dialogs from Dreamfall, how to add them back to the PAK file so the game to be translated?
    I have to write a tool for converting the .po back to the dreamfall format, havn't done that yet.

For those who are having a foreign language version of Dreamfall there is now a new verison of the extractor that handles those files as well as the english version ones:

http://clanlib.org/~grumbel/dreamfall-dialog.exe

Verbose Hyperbolist Lee in Limbo's Avatar
    Hey grumbel, I'm not a coder, so I didn't dare to mess with the code you guys were playing with to modify the extractor. Did you ever sort out where and how to extract the texture files? I find myself curious how they mapped the meshes, particularly on the characters. The couple of image extractions I've seen looked quite educational (in an awful sort of way).
    Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
    Losing Faith in Fandoms

"ohh...gravity - dodgy force, that - can't trust it..." ~Sozdanee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
    Did you ever sort out where and how to extract the texture files? I find myself curious how they mapped the meshes, particularly on the characters. The couple of image extractions I've seen looked quite educational (in an awful sort of way).
    The textures themself are stored as DDS Textures (Standard Direct3D format used for compressed textures) which can be viewed with IrfanView or some other tools. Some textures have multiple layers, where the second one is a hightmap or normal map for bump-mapping and such effects (not all tools allow to view those layers, the Nvidia tools however do). If you use pinkunozou extractor or a newer version of mine (./extract --directory init.pak directory.txt) you can get some more usefull filenames for the textures to make it easier to find the right ones.

Now about the models themself and uv mapping I still have not much of an idea, first there are the .sir files (and probally some other file types as well) that contain some information about the models, those info is stored in a XML like style (perch.cc contains some unfinished code to handle those files) and contains information about translation and rotation as well as the shader to be used. However I couldn't yet spot any information in there that connects it to either the textures that is used or the model data (vertexes, uv).

The .bun files seem to contain said vertex and uv data, I have those fileformat figured out mostly (dirextract.cc) and its possible to extract the data, but as said, I have no idea how those connects to the textures or the .sir files or how to interpret that data correctly. I can plot the raw data in 3d which gives interesting patterns, but nothing more so far, especially any kind of face data is missing, so only dots:

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...-3dmodel-2.png

grumbel, I admire your work and i thank you a lot, but, there is the possibility of extract a file, modify it and then reinsert it (obviously with a different size)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash
    grumbel, I admire your work and i thank you a lot, but, there is the possibility of extract a file, modify it and then reinsert it (obviously with a different size)?
    Inserting files of equal or smaller size is already possible via "./extract --inject ...", inserting files larger then the original is not yet possible, it however only requires changing a few file offsets, so it shouldn't be to difficult and its actually the next thing I am going to implement, since its needed for the dialog stuff.

PS: Don't know if --inject is available in the latest .exe, its however in the source code implemented and tested, going to release a .zip with all the stuff in it and probally some additional documentation in the next few days.