Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Extracting pak files?

Previous post edited - version of DFToolBox released with source code and (seemingly) full conversation log-reading support. The method in which it determines which of two possible ids to use (when two of them are possible) is kind of a "hack", I suppose - as in it's a sort of messy solution. It seems to work fine for its purposes (chances are most people won't even have the problem it's designed to fix in their save files anyway), but if there's a more sure and positive way of choosing an id when both are possible without having to resort to predictions it would be great if somebody could figure that out!

I'm kind of new to "releases", though this isn't a formal release or anything like that by any means; it's just for testing reading savegame file conversation logs. If I've violated anything in this release, grumbel (or anybody else who notices), please notify me and I'll take it down. And, of course, the absolutely only part of this code that I'm responsible for is the method of reading conversation logs.

NOTE: There seems to be something about the version of the Fox Toolkit I used (the only one available pre-compiled for Dev-C++) that makes the progress window often appear below the taskbar, but you'll see the top of the window and you can drag it up.
    By the way, grumbel - the new version of Fox toolkit apparently should fix the text-copying problems. Too bad they don't have any instructions or support (that I've found) for compiling it for use with Dev-C++!

To test this, extract the zip, open DFToolboxGui.exe (if it doesn't show a progress window and you've followed the note above then you should click File > Dreamfall Path and point it to, well, your Dreamfall Path), let it scan, click Close when it's done, click File > Scan for Dialogs, click Close when that's done, and then expand the savegames folder. Use the version of the savegame with #text on the end to view the recorded conversation. Hopefully we can get something a little more advanced and fancy, e.g. with voice file support like the localization.dat and automatic reading of selected bits of conversation, and probably bold character names and stuff like that (stuff that's far above my ability) - but for now, it'd just be nice to make sure it works everywhere.

I welcome anybody willing to test this so we can see if there are any problems. When viewing the conversation log, scroll through and look for any "-666: "s. This is the id used when the conversation log viewer has detected a problem and cannot continue. If there are any, there will be a lot of them in a row, so you can't miss it if you just scroll through quickly. If you have any, if you would post some details about when they show up - such as the first 10 lines before the first -666 - it would be helpful. And if you don't, that would also be helpful to know.
    Last edited by sireebob; 06-20-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Please, please, tell me how to repack a modified dreamfall-en.po file to the localization.dat file.

I'm really having a hard time trying to find this out.

Please, someone, let me know how to do this...

Hi thelooney305,

Usage: ./dialog --generate localization.dat dreamfall-$LANG.po
    Example: Run at command line: >dialog.exe --generate localization.dat dreamfall-en.po
    This will generate "localisation-new.dat".

Then you must copy it to .\dreamfall-mods\yourmod\data\generated\config\universe\locali zation.dat and then run insert.exe

This is working for me. But my problem is that it didn't generate a valid localization.dat for me. In the game I see no text and I cannot close the game because the menus are so narrow that I cannot click in them (I have the English version of the game).

As an alternative maybe you can use this little tool (the translations are made directly into localization.dat format without using .po files):
    http://quicknisip.3x.ro/dreamfall/MocaLoca_20060626.zip

and the sources:
    http://quicknisip.3x.ro/dreamfall/Mo...c_20060626.zip

By the way, if you want to know the index of a certain text that you have in .po file:
    http://quicknisip.3x.ro/dreamfall/dr...-en.po_out.zip

Thanks a lot! Is this new method working for you?

Because it's not working for me. What you should try is this: Make the translation exactly the same length as the initial text. Fill the remaining space with blanks if you have to. It works for me because the menues were getting narrow too, but if you do it like this it works.

Also, if the translation still doesn't happen you should try changing the subtitles on/off or from one language to another and back. It works for me, but I have the LE.

-Moca Loca release from 20060626 does work only with the English version (at least with my version).
    -I made a newer release based on Grumbel code for other languages, -- I cannot test it, so I don't know if is working.

Doesn't metter if you use dialog.exe or Moca Loca, this constrain should not exist:

Quote Originally Posted by thelooney305
    What you should try is this: Make the translation exactly the same length as the initial text. Fill the remaining space with blanks
    For updates of Moca Loca check: http://quicknisip.3x.ro/dreamfall/index.html

I have played around with DFToolBox, MocaLoca and DFModActivator and can confirm that Dreamfall Limited Edition (and most likely the Scandinavian standard editions as well) will read the modified localization.dat, provided that you switch between English and Norwegian text back and forth one time in the game options.

However, the localization.dat created with MocaLoca contains only dreamfall-en.po, while the original contains seven different .po-files:

dreamfall-en.po
    dreamfall-no.po
    dreamfall-nl.po
    dreamfall-fr.po
    dreamfall-it.po
    dreamfall-de.po
    dreamfall-es.po

So, is there a way to:

1. Keep all the above language files - or at least the Norwegian (no) and English (en) ones, which are accessable from within the game - in the modified localization.dat, so that the game menus won't disappear/become blank when you switch to Norwegian?

2. Modify the Norwegian subtitles instead, or modify the English ones in a way that the back-and-forth switching won't be needed?

Also, does anyone know what character encoding to use, to make special characters (as seen in the .po-files) display correctly?

I have uploaded the original LE localization.dat and the seven extracted .po-files here.

Issues modifying scripts

I have been working with DF Tools for editing script behavior. I played around with modifying April's behavior when she first gets into the Necropolis and has to use the focus field to solve the one puzzle.

I was able to insert a modified script back into the .pak file, and the game ran the modified script just fine, but now DF Tools is having problems reading the modified .cdr file.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleFlyFree
    However, the localization.dat created with MocaLoca contains only dreamfall-en.po
    I posted an update on my site, I should work for all languages.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleFlyFree
    Also, does anyone know what character encoding to use, to make special characters (as seen in the .po-files) display correctly?
    Character encoding is UTF8.

can someone help me ? im going to make theme for my mobilephone but i need animations .gif or something like that So i thought maybe someone has anything similar i liked animation (two spinning circles ) when http://www.dreamfall.com/ is loading that would fit just fine, but i cant find anything like it :/ of coure any other animation would be great

Quote Originally Posted by quicknisip
    I posted an update on my site, I should work for all languages.
    Great, thanks a lot for your effort! The Norwegian (no) subtitles can now be edited at will and used in Dreamfall LE.

There are still limitations to be aware of though:

1. To see any modified subtitles, you still have to switch the text setting back and forth each time you start the game.

2. The Norwegian text will only display provided the string length of the ENGLISH text is unaltered. Otherwise you'll have blank menus etc. (same behaviour as before).

3. The available character set seem to differ depending on the language setting. I have only tried the special characters crucial for a translation to Swedish ( ) and two of them can't be displayed at all. If used in the English text, only '' and '' will display, while Norwegian text displays characters '' '' '' and ''. This corresponds to their occurance in the respective original .po-files.

I suppose this character set limit is the most important problem to solve for translations. Is it present in other versions of the game? Ideas, anyone?

I should also mention that to run this latest version (20060704) of MocaLoca, I needed the DLL file 'mfc71u.dll'.

Displaying subtitles in 2 languages

Hi,

I have the Italian version of the game as I'm currently learning Italian. However it's really difficult for me to understand what's going on with my limited understanding of the language. An ideal situation for me would be Italian speech + Italian & English subtitles.

I took a look at the italian .po file and the format for subtitle mapping seems like this:

# offset: x, entries: y msgid "Press Space" msgstr "Premi SPAZIO"

I was wondering whether it'd be possible to edit the italian .po file such that every msgstr would contain both the Italian and English words.

eg.
    msgid "Press Space" msgstr "Premi SPAZIO Press Space"

Would the offset be affected? (no idea what the offset is for)
    If anyone has any idea what other files would have to be messed with, I would greatly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by oinvertedworld
    I was wondering whether it'd be possible to edit the italian .po file such that every msgstr would contain both the Italian and English words.
    Have you tried to edit your localization.dat with Moca Loca?

Provided there are no compatibility issues with the Italian version, you should be able to edit the Italian text any way you like (though I guess there could be a length limit).

Hi,

I would actually prefer to use the .po file so that I can customise the subtitles programatically by generating a modified po file with both subtitles. However, the localization.dat that was produced with dialog.exe was invalid - the game would not show any text after using it.

Is there any way for Moca Loca to read values from script instead of from a GUI? I would try modifying it myself but I ran into some errors building Moca Loca with the free MS Visual Studio C++ Express; it seems that I cannot build Moca Loca without MFC (which visual studio express doesnt provide)