Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound problems? Read this...

extruder

Sound problems? Read this...

If you have problems with stuttering or crackling sound, or if you get DirectSound errors when starting The Longest Journey, try this:

From Control Panel, open 'Multimedia' (possibly called 'Sounds and Audio Devices' or 'Sounds and Multimedia'). Go to the 'Audio' tab. For the playback device, check to make sure your sound card is selected. (If you have a modem installed, the modem may be listed here, and that can cause problems with TLJ. Change it from your modem to your sound card.)

While still on the Audio tab, click the 'Advanced' button under the playback device. Click on the 'Performance' tab. Set the hardware acceleration level to 'Full'. Click 'Ok' to save your changes, then try TLJ and see if sound problems persist.

If the 'Full' acceleration level doesn't help, you can try each of the other acceleration levels until you find the one that works best. It may also help to adjust the sample rate conversion quality (found right beneath the hardware acceleration level).

Oh, and make sure you change these settings for the playback device, *not* the recording device.

Thanks so much!

This was exactly my problem. It hung he entire game on start up!
    I went crazy trying to work with my ATI all in wonder radeon video card settings and drivers to no avail. This solved the problem. "Total Recorder" had changed that setting when I installed it and I hadn't been aware of it. Thanks, you the man!
    wes

Hi...
    I just installed my game in xp using compatability mode...all is well except there is no sound for any of the conversationss--and the subtitles are running too fast to read...the only time april speaks is in inventory mode....

Please help!!

Question XP Sound - Yikes

In the last week, I upgraded my PC to a P4P800 and 512DDR RAM. I include this because I have had several problems since. I downloaded the latest drivers for my sound and video cards, Nvidia GForce 4 Tti 4400, and Soundblaster Live X Gamer 5.1
    Every time I start the Longest Journey, after the opening credits with sound and music, I get extremely loud white noise. After I close the program and then re-open it, it functions fine. All facets of the game's sound work perfectly. Periodically, I will have to close down and re-open multiple times until I get it to function. I wrote to Creative and got some cryptic gibberish about my system's requirements, but I don't think it is overtaxed. Nvidia doesn't take mail since they sell to third parties, so I got no luck there. I really enjoy this game but the sound is a larger one because I want to know if there is a problem resident in my PC, or if it is a problem with my PC, XP, and the gaming software. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I tried the ideas in this thread above, but everything indicated it was set for the SBlaster card. Thanks Very Much!!!!

Unhappy Sounds like trouble...

I have a SB Live! Platnum card. I tryed everything, but I just couldn't get it to sound right under XP. Finnaly I just gave up and played through with the sound gliches.

Bugs:
    - Dialog would lag and then skip parts
    - Static
    - Suttering

These were most notible with dialog, but were present through most of the game.

I assume u guys got the latest driver updates from creative's website?

some times there are drivers downloadable thru windows update. try that , it doesn't hurt to try.
    Don't give up
    Darrell

Exclamation Sound problems in 2CD version

For a solution to the sound problems in the 2CD version check this thread.
    Do not write below this line.

"Sound problems? Read this...
    If you have problems with stuttering or crackling sound, or if you get DirectSound errors when starting The Longest Journey, try this:

From Control Panel, open 'Multimedia' (possibly called 'Sounds and Audio Devices' or 'Sounds and Multimedia'). Go to the 'Audio' tab. For the playback device, check to make sure your sound card is selected. (If you have a modem installed, the modem may be listed here, and that can cause problems with TLJ. Change it from your modem to your sound card.) ..."

I'm sorry, Extruder, but that does not work. At least it wasn't the problem on my laptop (running Windows XP).

Any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even though I finished the game already, I would like to be able to replay it without all the annoying background noise that interfered with my enjoyment of some dialogues all the way through the last chapter.

Thanks!

"For a solution to the sound problems in the 2CD version check this thread."

Thank you for trying to help Dazz, but those links are also bad. The one for the older versions (which was SUPPOSED to fix the sound problems) doesn't even work. And the one patch for the newer versions only created a heck of a lot more problems on my game, like crashing while trying to read the Diary.

From reading through the threads, I know a lot of other people have problems with this. Has anybody found a real solution yet? Otherwise, maybe we need to write to Mr. Torquist.

Well since I've posted the above message some new patches were released. The link to patch version 148 in the thread I linked to will redirect you to the TLJ patches site anyway. There, you may choose the latest patch (now 151). That patch already solved crashing problems for some players; if not, for almost anyone.
    Do not write below this line.

Well, I guess I'm not "anybody" then, Dazz because that newer patch (151) is the one that I was talking about when I said, "the newest one only caused a heck of a lot more problems in my computer". As in, instead of PREVENTING crashes, it actually CAUSED them! So, it stinks!

Like I said, has anybody actually come up with a REAL solution yet?

Thanks for trying to help, though.

I actually unistalled the whole game and then reinstalled it on my computer. Then I was able to play it through and "ignore" the noise by hitting Escape through those sections, then reading the dialogues from the Diary.

The only reason I'm still talking about it is because, if I have any gripes about the game, that would be my biggest one. And it would be nice to solve the problem so I can replay the game without having to put up with all the stinking technical difficulties.

Dazz "almost everyone" while probably not based on any statistical evidence, is so far what has been the feedback after the latest patch "151".

Just because it, the patch, doesn't work for you, Fantasía, does not mean it doesn't work for other people, and just because it gave you problems, doesn't mean that it didn't fix what it was meant to.

I suggest posting a new topic, in this forum, giving all the info on your problem you think will help.

Originally posted by Aj
    Dazz "almost everyone" while probably not based on any statistical evidence, is so far what has been the feedback after the latest patch "151".

Just because it, the patch, doesn't work for you, Fantasía, does not mean it doesn't work for other people, and just because it gave you problems, doesn't mean that it didn't fix what it was meant to.

I suggest posting a new topic, in this forum, giving all the info on your problem you think will help.
    Well, dear Aj, I appreciate your taking the time to respond, but I think you still don't get it.

First of all, I don't believe it is fair for you to say that the patch has worked for "almost everyone". For one, and you even responded to many of them, from all the threads I have read, A LOT of people were complaining about it causing crashes, which, for the umpteenth time, is what kept happening to me after installing it. And, mathematically speaking, that makes the amounts of people pro and against the patch pretty EVEN to me.

Second, I believe I have explained everything there was to explain about my particular problem (which is, pretty much, the same as MANY others') in all of my posts. You can even refer to the "noise" problems thread in the Arcadia forum to which you responded for further information.

Finally, again, I would VERY MUCH appreciate a REAL SOLUTION, not feeling like I'm being chastised. I NEVER said it doesn't work for other people. Only that it doesn't work for ALL, but SOME. And I STILL think it stinks, because it does NOT solve the problem for those of us who are still frustrated about it. So, thinking logically, for us it does NOT "fix what it was meant to."

In any case, thanks again for even taking the time to respond. Just, please, take the time to also READ attentively before you decide to respond to me again. I'm not trying to waste your time, so please be respectful and do the same for me.

I think you will find the posts complaining about crashing were made after the 148 patch and before the 151 patch. I have read your posts, and while I feel sorry for your specific problem, as far as I'm concerned the problem with the 148 patch has been fixed, and any further crashing is unrelated.

If you care to disagree, then come back with posts demostrating that the 151 patch has caused problems.