Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review Scores Roundup

some of those had already been posted. Crazyspike, have you made your life's objective to bring on the anti-dreamfall flame? God, I think the ones like you were restricted to the IMDB boards :P
    Balance provides.

I appologise if they had...but I believe parity should be shown for those who come here to look at reviews before making a purchase.......

Do you think it wrong I post the bad scores to balance the good...seriously is what I have just done wrong....

I shall not respond to the insult you left....hell I dont need too ive said my piece and posted here what needed posting....

You may continue your spam now....

Navigation

I am having a hell of a time getting my controls to work on PC. The mouse is all crazy and I can't get my action controls to work. So far, I want to throw the damn game out the window -- hating the game.

no insult, I was kidding crazy, as noted by the smileys, take it easy, sorry if I seemed like I was just writing out offenses

Anyway, as Isaid, part of the reviews you showed (even very bad ones) were already liniked here, and I don't think any 70%+ review can be seen as a bad one, not even a so-so one, but it even depends on the specific zine/site that published it

EDIT: btw, if you want a good review round-up that has no bias whatsoever, metacritic is a good place to watch, and Dreamfall is doing good (there anything above 70 is definitely very good, being an average of all the reviews, with maybe more weight given to the more relevant magazines and sites) http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...ll?q=dreamfall
    Last edited by Jestas; 05-17-2006 at 04:07 AM.
    Balance provides.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspike
    I appologise if they had...but I believe parity should be shown for those who come here to look at reviews before making a purchase.......

Do you think it wrong I post the bad scores to balance the good...seriously is what I have just done wrong....
    I think the most important aspect for people finding out before buying it is: Is this a game for me? They should know that the game is driven by an amazing story, and lives from its atmosphere. They should know that it is no action game, they should know that there are puzzles, but they are not the most important aspect. All reviews I've read basically agree about these aspects. But depending on our personal taste you will like the game or hate it.

By your post, do you seriously wanted to help people to make their own decision? Instead it seems that you wanted to post "bad" scores just to prevent people from buying the game.

Hey, are their no recent games you liked? What about investing your energy there into pushing something you like? Instead of investing your energy into making something down other people liked.

There's really a difference between passion about pushing things you like, and a passion of making something down.

Didn't you just play a game which had philosophical depth...?

Quote Originally Posted by cat

Hey, are their no recent games you liked? What about investing your energy there into pushing something you like? Instead of investing your energy into making something down other people liked.
    That's the point I tried to make by comparing him to many posters in IMDB boards, there are posters there that seem to have taken it as their life's goal to raise to attentiion only the worse reviews about a movie, to discredit it. They are just as subjective and biased as the people they usually flame, and rarely add constructive criticism to the table. There's at least a couple of them for every movie, especially those that have a good consensus overall (they probably feel bad when their own opinion doesn't match that of the general public and critics).

I think that anyone's efforts should be made on more constructive things, supporting what they like and giving analytic critique of whatever they dislike, without embarking on a quest to make fan forums and official ones (that are naturally more populated by people who liked that thing) their flame territory, to bring the(ir) Truth and Justice among ignorant crowds

That's not to say that Crazyspike is one of these trolls, he did bring some extensive and constructive criticism to the table, in other threads, it was actually the first post by him that reminded me of such "evil practices" ( lol ), that's why I made my (friendly, really) post with a smiley

And I did that even to make him notice that some of the reviews he mentioned were already linked earlier in this very thread (so it seemed like he didn't pay attention and just assumed that this was just a blind-fanboy ridden post), but no matter, I hope we have largely clarified this now. I also hope Crazyspike never gets to know a REAL spammer, I'm a good guy after all

Let's get straight back to the original topic, bring those reviews IN! BTW, in the following days there will be lots more, european official release date is coming!
    Balance provides.

There is no need to heap praise on a good game....buying it and buying its sequel are enough....

There is every reason to level criticism at a bad game or a game that dissapoints compared to its predecessor...same as a bad movie....cant fix it if they dont know what people thinks wrong with it........ hope that explanation suffices...as its my reason for not blessing good and great games...

I have no need to praise them...... the amount of times I play them is the praise they deserve....I registered here a long time ago and adore TLJ....yet I never posted as I dident need too....

Sorry I misunderstood your post....all the attacks lately kind of polarise you to a permanent defence....

There is no need to heap praise on a good game....buying it and buying its sequel are enough....

There is every reason to level criticism at a bad game or a game that dissapoints compared to its predecessor...same as a bad movie....cant fix it if they dont know what people thinks wrong with it........ hope that explanation suffices...as its my reason for not blessing good and great games...

I have no need to praise them...... the amount of times I play them is the praise they deserve....I registered here a long time ago and adore TLJ....yet I never posted as I dident need too....
    Hey, crazy spike, people are best motivated by positive energy plus constructive critics. As more as you tell someone what you liked, as more he will take your critics to heart.

Ragnar does not know how many times you played TLJ - just tell him! And just motivate him by telling him also the positive sides you liked at Dreamfall and which should not change!

I could say the opposite thing too: "There is no need to slaughter [on official or fan boards, especially] a game you don't like [notice the subtle change here]... not buying it or its sequel(s) is enough"
    I have no need to praise them...... the amount of times I play them is the praise they deserve....
    that's not true, imagine that you are the author, would you like it to read comments (mostly not even constructive) only from people who hated your work? Are you a father? Wold you only punish your children when they do bad and just let them be when they do good? You're probably in for some family therapy...
    I registered here a long time ago and adore TLJ....yet I never posted as I dident need too....
    well, we're different, I like to talk (write and read) about things I like, I just ignore things I plain don't like, and give constructive criticism (without the need to insist too much, since it's not imprtant that other people think like me, my thoughts are probably subjective, the point is sending the message to the author of the thing that I don't think came out good) where something I didn't really dislike is done in a way that disappoints me . But that's just me
    Balance provides.

We are all of us different....

Do you think it wrong I post the bad scores to balance the good...
    Heck, I think it's a good idea, people DO need to know what they're buying beforehand, instead of reading reviews that praise almost every aspect of the game (I mean, you could even tell the gamespot reviewer loved the game and hated giving it the score that he did).

Quote Originally Posted by cat
    By your post, do you seriously wanted to help people to make their own decision? Instead it seems that you wanted to post "bad" scores just to prevent people from buying the game.
    Umm, no. To be honest, it could be said that the first post showing the "positive" scores could be interpreted as trying to make up people's minds, or at least advertise the positive points of the game (I don't think that really, but it's there in the back of my mind somewhere; not saying I don't like that it gets good ratings, but you know what I mean). I mean, he could have just said: "The game sucks, don't buy it!" but he didn't.
    If you truly want to get a good idea of the game, you read the positive ones and the negative reviews, and then see what they agreed on (for example, almost ALL will mention a great story and characters as well as voice acting, but the positive reviews will most likely have good marks for the rest (gameplay, etc.) while the negative ones will say it fails in those regards. So, a smart guy will say: "It has a good story...etc., do I want to buy it for that?" and go from there. That's the point of having bad reviews as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestas
    I think that anyone's efforts should be made on more constructive things, supporting what they like and giving analytic critique of whatever they dislike, without embarking on a quest to make fan forums and official ones (that are naturally more populated by people who liked that thing) their flame territory, to bring the(ir) Truth and Justice among ignorant crowds
    ?? Maybe you just chose your words badly, but "flame" doesn't really describe what he was doing. I mean, he didn't come out with a flame post but a link to many supposedly official reviews of the game. I read a few of them myself, and they do mostly resemble each other, like I said above, and have a few things in common with really positive scores. So I don't really understand why you're taking so much offense (even if it's not that personal, even if you're just kidding) at his response to the game. All the opinions in the world come together to make up the "Truth" of the game, not just positive opinions. People need to, and should, read them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestas
    well, we're different, I like to talk (write and read) about things I like, I just ignore things I plain don't like
    No way, not me If I like something, fine, if I love something, people might find out. But if there's something that I really hate about a game (maybe not even the whole game, but just a part) people will hear about it! Shouldn't be so surprising then that if there's people who only talk about the good, then there has to be a bunch of people who only talk about the bad.

Just my thoughts, don't mean to offend anyone or make anyone mad, and I'm not saying I didn't like the game at all, many great things about it, just many bad things too. But if I had known beforehand what the game was like..........

No, I would have bought it anyway I mean, there was pretty much no chance of me not buying it when it came out (Unless of course Gamespot, who's reviews I usually trust, gave it like a 2 or something; then i'd wait for it to go to the bargain bin ; and if it got a 2, it would have probably been in the bargain bin in a month, so not a big wait
    Last edited by Darksied; 05-19-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksied
    All the opinions in the world come together to make up the "Truth" of the game, not just positive opinions. People need to, and should, read them too.
    I think everybody agrees at this point.

(BTW, also these critics are all not really negative. They are also positive, just not as good as others.)

Shouldn't be so surprising then that if there's people who only talk about the good, then there has to be a bunch of people who only talk about the bad.
    Well, a current situation is a current situation and may be not surprising. But this does not mean that you have to like it.

There exists different ways of "talking about the bad", see the previous discussion. I'm not convinced of the attidue of only using your mouth if you have something negative to say (especially if it's the same again and again).

Of course you can say "this has to be", but I am also what I am, having to give my comment about this. Are you what you have to be what you are and have to to comment this, again? Well, "we are all of us the same"

(Having to note that fortunately "even" crazy-spike is not consequently following his own guideline - as already pointed out by Jestas he also gave constructive critics, and he mentioned how much he liked TLJ, and if I remember correctly, he also mentioned that he liked the story of Dreamfall. I think Ragnar likes to hear also such comments. See also my previous post. )

?? Maybe you just chose your words badly, but "flame" doesn't really describe what he was doing.
    I was referring to a typical kind of poster, not necessarily Crazyspike, and anyway he reminded me of that kind of behaviour mainly in other posts by him here, I was not specifically addressing this one
    I mean, he didn't come out with a flame post but a link to many supposedly official reviews of the game.
    some of which were already posted here, in previous pages, so it seems like he just assumed that everybody just posted good reviews (for what? to make themselves feel better?). BTW, are you his lawyer or something?^_^ Relax, I was just joking from the beginning, if spike was really that kind of troll that I talked about I wouldn't even have wasted time to reply to him here and in other threads
    So I don't really understand why you're taking so much offense (even if it's not that personal, even if you're just kidding) at his response to the game.
    well, I thought the problem was over, I explained myself and he understood, what's left to say?
    All the opinions in the world come together to make up the "Truth" of the game, not just positive opinions. People need to, and should, read them too.
    what's that got to do with all the rest of this post? So I guess you too are assuming that I and others are just fanboys who blindly praise something they like but shouldn't, choosing to ignore the bad reviews to kinda lie to themselves? ^_^ Or maybe we are all employees of Funcom in disguise (I wish I was, I'm actually unemployed, otherwise I wouldn't have time to post here, alas)? haha, really, I have to stress again the fact that 1) some of the "bad" reviews he posted were already noted here (including the worse ones, like 1up's) and 2)the argument was closed, I really don't see why you had to re-open it

No way, not me If I like something, fine, if I love something, people might find out. But if there's something that I really hate about a game (maybe not even the whole game, but just a part) people will hear about it!
    you probably didn't read the rest of my sentence there...
    Balance provides.

*shock horror* I have a fan....

*shock horror* I have a fan....
    Not only one, you have a lot of fans .... Darksied is just the only one who heaps praise on you .... whereas all others think that reading your posts and reading your sequel posts are enough ....

Edit: Added missing dots.
    Last edited by cat; 05-20-2006 at 06:24 AM.