Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Operating System Requirements

Question Operating System Requirements

I just wanted to know which operating systems this game will be able to run on? I'm asking because I have neither Windows nor MacOSX (nor Xbox), I only use Linux. So should I look forward to the game, or just try to forget it as soon as possible?

Regards,
    André Kvist Aronsen.

There are no plans for a Linux version of the game.

XP or Win2000. No Win9x support.

Unhappy System Requirements

Will my system (AMD Barton 2500+, 512 MB DDR Dual Channel, GeForce MX4000 128 MB, 64 bit) run Dreamfall at least at medium quality ?

Quote Originally Posted by webspy
    Will my system (AMD Barton 2500+, 512 MB DDR Dual Channel, GeForce MX4000 128 MB, 64 bit) run Dreamfall at least at medium quality ?
    From what Ragnar has said Medium might be a close call. Your RAM is fine, your CPU might just about make it with a bit of luck, but you've got pretty much the worst 128MB graphics card on the market. It can't even do pixel shaders. And I wouldn't be surprised if Medium requires a card capable of Pixel Shader 2.0.

So if I were to bet money I would bet on your current configuration not being able to play the game properly at Medium. Actually I'd say there's a risk your computer wont be able to play the game at all (if the game requires a pixel shader capable graphics card, like quite a few modern games do). On the other hand if this should be the case a relatively cheap new graphics card means you're in business again, possibly even at Medium.

Well, since webspy asked... :P

What about my system?
    -1GB RAM ,
    -AMD Athlon 2500+ (don`t know why it`s called that; it only has 1.86GHz ) ,
    -AtiRadeon 9700 (128RAM) ...Does *this* card have that Shader thingamabob? :P

At medium? .... :P

thx

Quote Originally Posted by NLO
    Well, since webspy asked... :P

What about my system?
    -1GB RAM ,
    -AMD Athlon 2500+ (don`t know why it`s called that; it only has 1.86GHz ) ,
    -AtiRadeon 9700 (128RAM) ...Does *this* card have that Shader thingamabob? :P

At medium? .... :P

thx
    Yes, the 9700 can do Pixel Shader v2.0, the same as the Geforce 5xxx-series. Ragnar has said 512MB RAM, most Pentium 4 CPUs, and a modern 128MB graphics card should be able to run the game smoothly at medium. Sounds to me like you're in the clear. It's hard to know which Pentium 4 CPUs are excluded, but I'm guessing those below 2GHz or so. And the Athlon 2500+ ought to perform above a p4 2GHz. It's also hard to know where to draw the line for graphics cards, but I'm willing to bet a PS2.0 capable card with a decent amount of power like a 9700 will work. In addition Ragnar has said upgrading from 512MB to 1GB RAM is the best performance booster if you have an ok CPU and graphics card.

Once again please note that I am just speculating. I have no knowledge of Dreamfall other than what Ragnar has said in his blog. But I've been doing games and hardware support for years, and do believe I'm able to make a guess that shouldn't be too far off.

what about me...

512 MB RAM, pentium M 1.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go
    all over now meaning it's really really wasting

Quote Originally Posted by username
    what about me...

512 MB RAM, pentium M 1.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go
    Gaming on laptops is always tricky. Games are rarely officially supported on laptops, but often work anyway. The regular Ti4200 can do Pixel Shader 1.3, and I'm pretty sure 4200 Go can as well. But you might run into problems when it comes to drivers, and amount of video memory. There are regular nVidia Forceware drivers available, that have been modified to run with Go. If you have driver problems these might help you out. But if you have less video memory than the minimum requirement there is nothing you can do. I'm putting the odds at 70-30 in favour of the game requiring 64MB, rather than 128MB, of video memory for Low. A minimum req of 32MB would surprise me a lot.

If "most Penitum 4s" are good enough for Medium, I'm guessing pM1.5GHz should be good enough for Low.

Just for the heck of it I'm going to guess the minimum system requirements. Will be interesting to see how wrong I am.

CPU: 1.2GHz-1.5GHz
    RAM: 256MB-384MB
    Graphics: 64MB, possibly with pixel shader support

I'm pretty sure Ragnar hinted at 512 MB Ram Minimum (which I don't have at the time!). I sincerely hope no pixel shaders are needed at all, as I'll be stuck with my Geforce 4 MX 128 MB... a crucial issue.

Not being able to play "Dreamfall" would kill me .

I'm in that position too, having a GeForce MX 4000 128 MB which doesn't support pixel shader al all. The Longest Journey meant a lot to me and I would be very, very disapointed if I couldn't play Dreamfall. That's way now I'm trying hard to raise some money and upgrade my video card. Hope I'll make the upgrade before the release of Dreamfall or at least short-time after.

Quote Originally Posted by Vainamoinen
    I'm pretty sure Ragnar hinted at 512 MB Ram Minimum (which I don't have at the time!). I sincerely hope no pixel shaders are needed at all, as I'll be stuck with my Geforce 4 MX 128 MB... a crucial issue.

Not being able to play "Dreamfall" would kill me .
    I don't think he has hinted at it being minimum for the very lowest settings. And even Half-Life 2 (which Ragnar made a fleeting comparison to) doesn't require more than 256MB minimum.

I might err, of course, but he stated something like "You should really upgrade if you ONLY have 512 MB Ram". That hints at the minimum (and makes me shudder )...

Very many modern games don't run on the GF4 MX series. In practice the GF4 MX is pretty much an overclocked Geforce 2.

One game that might be similar in minimum requirements to Dreamfall is Prince of Persia 3. It requires 1GHz, 256MB RAM, GF3 Ti (the first Geforce card to support pixel shaders) or better. GF4 MX excluded! They are worse than GF3 Ti.

It doesn't have to be pixel shaders that's the real issue though. There are more differences between the generations of cards. But graphically intensive modern games usually do require PS, so it's worth pointing out when discussing compatibility.

On the positive side I believe Half-Life 2 can run on GF4 MX, which gives some hope to Dreamfall being able to do the same. I wouldn't bet on it though. In fact I'd probably bet against it.

To continue my comparison to PoP3, it has a recommended CPU speed of 1.5GHz or better, which I'm pretty sure is less than what Dreamfall will recommend.