Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Update for Modern PC's.

From the traffic logs on the Demon mirror I can see that this file is quite populair. Just as an awnser to some of the emails I have received: this is NOT a patch or beta version for Dreamfall (the new FunCom game). Distributing such a version would be against the law in most countries. This is a UNOFFICIAL patch for The Longest Journey, the older one.
    Download The Longest Journey Update for modern PC's (unoffical) at:
    http://forums.longestjourney.com/sho...&threadid=1619

I wasn't able to get AA working with 4CD swedish and 6600GT. The fonts look good though, although I can't remember how they looked years ago when I played through the game last time.

I only tested the fix on an ATI Radeon 9600XT and an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile, so I can't really give support for Nvidea cards.

I had a look at whether it would be possible to include FSAA as an option in the game, but sadly, it's programmed towards very old interfaces for DirectX (DX2). It's not feasible to put it in from our side.

Even if I could get it to work, the Mouse pointer smearing you can see when you do get it to work through the driver settings would still exist even then, and they are pretty darn annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by xavdeman
    I only tested the fix on an ATI Radeon 9600XT and an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile, so I can't really give support for Nvidea cards.
    Absolutely. Just wanted to state it for the record since you didn't know if it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling
    I had a look at whether it would be possible to include FSAA as an option in the game, but sadly, it's programmed towards very old interfaces for DirectX (DX2). It's not feasible to put it in from our side.

Even if I could get it to work, the Mouse pointer smearing you can see when you do get it to work through the driver settings would still exist even then, and they are pretty darn annoying.
    Understandable, well, atleast some people can now play it without it seeming much older than it is...

Hey...
    I was just looking at old posts and saw this one....

I extracted the .zip file into my TLJ directory (overwriting the files) and turn on AA & AS (or did I?... : properties -> settings -> Advanced -> 3D -> Then I ticked "Use custom settings", then pressed "Custom" where I turned off "Application Preference" in the Anti-Aliasing & in the Anisotropic filtering sections)...
    Now, when in-game, the screen is "blurred" (Like in the Prince of Persia game), rather than that the edges are nicer :P
    Is that what it`s suppose to do, or did I do something wrong when turning on AA & AS?

Thx

Could be useful if you could find out the name and brand of graphics card you have in your system, and are you sure you didn't enable something valled DOF or DOV? (Depth of Field / View) or interlancing?

I did nothing but what I`ve described in the last post....
    Only maybe if "DOF" or "DOV" was enabled all along (`cuz didn`t touch anything similar :P )

I got AtiRadeon 9700 (with 128RAM)

Can you maybe post a screenshot of the problem?
    Blurry has a very wide definition.
    Just press the Print Screen key on your keyboard (PrtScn on some keyboards), open Paint (if you are using Windows), paste it, save the file as .jpg, go to http://www.imageshack.us, upload it and give us a link.

hm......
    The picture seems to be OK now... Don`t know why it was that blurry before....

Thx anyways; Sorry for the trouble

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this unofficial patch to work on Windows XP x64? I'm running Windows XP x64 with an ATI Radeon X800GT graphics card.

I tried several variants now; I just bought the new german special edition of TLJ, which works fine under XP x64, but it doesn't seem to use anti-aliasing and looks horrible on my 1280x1024 flatscreen. The ATI center timings setting, which is supposed to center the 640x480 resolution picture in the middle instead of stretching it, also doesn't work (maybe because the monitor is connected via DVI?).

I still own the old 4-CD versions in german and english, but the english 4-CD version crashes on XP x64 right after I press "Begin journey", as does the one contained in the unofficial update. Strangely the newer 2CD build works without a crash.
    Last edited by carfesh; 03-18-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Ok, I figured out how to run the game on x64; I compared the 4-CD and DVD installation directories and noticed that a few DLLs were in the DVD directory, but not in the 4-CD directory. After I copied the mfc42.dll into the 4-CD directory it began to work.

The only strange thing is that when I set SkipCD to 1 in the preferences.ini it doesn't work (IIRC this toggle made it possible to run the game without the CD in the drive); this just produces a black screen on this version.

But apart from that, the game looks fine with 6x temporal anti-aliasing, great stuff!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to play..

This patch worked PERFECT for the first CD, put when I get to the point where it asked me for CD 2, it gets stuck. It keeps asking me for it even though I have full install, and CD 2 is in the drive? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SSparrow
    This patch worked PERFECT for the first CD, put when I get to the point where it asked me for CD 2, it gets stuck. It keeps asking me for it even though I have full install, and CD 2 is in the drive? Any ideas?
    I have the same problem.
    After a few test's I altered the new preferences.ini file from:-

bool_SkipCD=0 and change it to bool_SkipCD=1

Save the file and try the game again.
    That should get it to work