PDA

View Full Version : Oktoberfest

Jazhara7
09-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Has anyone of you ever been to the Oktoberfest in Munich?
If yes, what did you think of it. If no, you can also tell me what you think of it. I myself have never been auf der Wiesn, that is on the Oktoberfest (And that's a shame, because I am half bavarian :D ).

Special question for the ones who are already alowwed to drink alcohol: Did you try "eine Maß Bier"? "Eine Maß" is what's in these VERY big Beertankards.

THANK YOU!

:D :)

Hilander
09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
When I was living in Heilbronn/M I never missed an Oktoberfest, Grosse Vergnugend even thughIhave just read that some Belgian Brewing conlgomerate had bought the Lowenbrau brewery.,

Jazhara7
09-25-2003, 06:08 PM
I didn't know that they it was sold.

It's true, you can live without the Oktoberfest (although you shouldn't mention it to some people in Munich). But it must be fun still.:)

Hilander
09-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Mpst people who don't know Germany don't realize how much fun there actually is there, Oktoberfest, almost any of the wine festivals, the fasching balls and parties (particularly in Mainz and Koln), I often miss it. Oh, by the way it was Heilbronn/N where I lived, right near Stuttgart.

Jazhara7
09-25-2003, 07:12 PM
The Oktoberfest started as a Beerfest first I think, but now it has carousells and other things. I only know the Beerfest in Kulmbach(Thats where the Kulmbacher Beer comes from), where my family lives. It is much smaller, and does not have so many carousells, if any. We also have a kind of Wine festival here. It's called Ebbelwoifest. That means Applewine festival, so it isn't a real Wine festival. :)

I've never been to Stuttgart or Heilbronn. What was it like there?
Did you like it there?

Hilander
09-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Ich kenne Kulmbach, besonders Kulmbacher Moenchn Brau. The Oktoberfest was originally started as a wedding partu for the king of Bavaria and has been growing ever since.

Apple wine, been a long time since I've had any of that.

Heilbronn is a medium sized city, most famous for having been the place where Goetz v. Berlichingen (Schiller wrote a play about him) was imprisoned and also for the Kaetchen from Heilbronn story. I was first stationed there when I was in the US Army and, after law school, I returned to practice court martial defense for several years. Stuttgart is also a pleasing city lots of hills and several excellent theaters,a good opera company and an excellent ballet corps. When I was there I got to know the mayor quite well, Field Marshall Rommel's son Manfred. (Because of my fluency in German, my late wife was from Oehringen, I was used for Army liaison with the Stuttgart officials quite often)

I like the Schwaben people, but I also spent a lot of time in Wurzburg and Hamburg.

Jazhara7
09-26-2003, 01:45 PM
I like Hamburg alot, although I have only been there twice. One time we saw the Musical "Buddy Holly" (guess what it was about), the other time we watched the Musical "Lion King".:)