PDA

View Full Version : Should TLJ be (aside from being a game) a novel,movie or a graphic novel???????

imablueturtle
03-21-2003, 12:16 AM
In today's journal, Ragnar Tornquist discusses the possibility of TLJ becoming either of the above, even a TV-series (which I think will be a bit of a mistake, given that a TV series, as a whole, will not have enough money or 'impact' as a movie might have)...
Personally, I think a graphic novel would be LOVELY!!!
Which 'format' would you like to see TLJ as; novel, TV show, movie or graphic novel????? ^_^%

scottypop
04-06-2003, 06:17 PM
I have been thinking about this as I play the game.

The story is where its at with TLJ so a novel would be a no brainer.

The game, however, proves that it is visually stunning and would lend itself very well to a movie.

A graphic novel...who reads those?

A movie would likely be a big budget thing but this story would suffer terribly by being butchered to make it appealing to movie goers and within budget and of course under two hours so it is likely that any movie, unless HUGE budget or a series of movies, would ultimately suck and never do a great story justice. Maybe that is too harsh but lets just say that it would be easy to ruin the story in movie format and turn it into a crappy special effects cheesball fluff-fest with crappy acting a la Starship Troopers.

Novels, on the other hand, are still widely read and a great book will outlive the best movies by generations. I have read several great epic books from decades and even centuries passed but I can't stand to watch a movie from even 10 years ago :) Besides, isn't the book ALWAYS better than the movie?

It is the details that make this game stand out - all of the little side stories, adventures, character idiosynchrocies, and tales, etc.

imablueturtle
04-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Very true scottypop....a novel would be a nice and best choice if TLJ were to be made into any other media......however, I still think graphic novels have something to offer quite considerably sinceTLJ is about BOTH the visuals & the story.

Don't underestimate the potential of a fantastic graphic novel (in black & white would be what I'm thinking of)....^_^%

otrlover
05-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Ya know- i was just thinking tonight while i played it.
This plays itself out far too well for it not to be a movie! Grapic novels and novels are great.
Shoot... i love too read.
But half my friends dont. Even when they had time too.

Some of the stuff coulod be cut, and im not exactly sure how they would do a talking crow, (Which would be cool too see though, and i guess, if they could do a Whomping Willow and a flying car, they could do a crow right?)
But i think it'd be great too see it on the big screen.
As long as a lot of it doesnt get cut out.

But like mentioned- anything good, is never as good as the original. Espically with books.
Not sure how it would go with Video games.

Jazhara7
09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
I only read one grafic novel. And it was great! Well, I would not have thought it actually possible for such a dreamteam like Terry Pratchett(Author, and by the way. Its fans can say Pterry to him) and Paul Kidby(Artist) to do a bad joke, although nobody is perfect. But it was terrific! THe book was called "The Last Hero",and its plot is roughly summarised like this: Cohen(yes "Cohen") the Barbarian, also known as Ghengiz Cohen, and his Silver Horde want to get revenge from the gods by bringing back what the first hero had stolen: FIRE"

About the thing with a talking crow. I don't think that this would be too difficult in the age of computers. Years ago, before people even thought about introducing computers into movie making business, Disney made a movie with a talking cat. And it was a real cat and, Disney being just SO like Disney just is(always perfect), they made the lips of the cat move, without computers. They simply gave the cat something to chew, and HEY! The cats moved its lips. Okay! The voice wasn't always synchronized with the lips, but it worked. And today, with computers and everything it wouldn't be too difficult to do a talking raven.

Just wnted to mention this (in my opinion) interesting piece of information:D