PDA

View Full Version : Timed tasks

Camille
01-31-2004, 01:05 AM
Just curious...just ordered this game ...not arrived yet...wondering if there are tasks in this game when you are being timed and given a certain amount of time to complete the task or the game is over? Played Atlantis and hated the pressure!! Same with Dracula! Sold those without finishing...have heard nothing but rave reviews on TLJ but worried about scary, stressed out, on a time limit areas in game! Reply?

Day
01-31-2004, 04:45 AM
Welcome to the Forums Camille!

The longest journey is just that, a long journey...Not that it is a bad thing at all. The game is one that you have to accomplish certain goals (or solve certain puzzles) in order to move forward but they are not timed. The game is truly enjoyable in all aspects and I'm sure you'll like it. I don't know many people that don't. :D

Hilander
01-31-2004, 05:01 AM
On this I have to agree, and it is an extremely stable game, unlike BSD or JTCE. The controls do what they are supposed to do. In addition, except for the Gribbler, even the villains are lpkeable.

On many ways, (and I hate to admit it because of my on-going rage at the delay in releasing the sequel) it is a perfect game. Visually and aurally pleasing, a good, gripping story line, likeable characters, puzzles that are challenging but not irritating. In other words a true game, one that is played for the pleasure of playing it, not one where the main challenge is not getting mad enough to take a 10 lb sledge hammer to your computer.

Games should be fun NOT an exercise in frustration,

Day
01-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Great way of putting it Hilander. Couldn't have said it better myself!

computertalker
01-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Camille:

TLJ is the first PC game I played. (Nothing like starting at the top.) Just take your time and enjoy it. :)

Hilander
01-31-2004, 07:34 PM
One problem with starting at the top, it is SOO far to the bottom. Outside of a very other games, such as the Syberia series (now that S2 is coming out) there are almost no other games approaching TLJ in the presentation and the pleasure of playing it. Most games seem bent on making the player want to destroy their computers.

I thhink that many of these :games: are written by the same jerks who write the "word problems" in math tests.

computertalker
01-31-2004, 07:49 PM
You are so right, Hilander. BS3 was sent to me from a friend & I need a new graphics card in order to play it. :confused: At least Syberia II will not increase the demands on our PC's. I wonder if TLJ2 will?

Hilander
01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
I haven't seem or read anything to indicate that, RaMa can probably tell us.

RaMa
01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
TLJ-Next will have higher system requirements, but I though Ragnar had said that It'll run on a a good computer of today. So that'll be an average computer at the time the game's done.

Don't take my word for it, though. I couldn't find a quote :).

Hilander
02-01-2004, 12:44 AM
If you don't know, who, outside Tornquist's coterie. does? However since they're targeting late 05 to early 06 WHO knows that the hardware in use will look like. 2 years means a LOT of new hardware on the market and in use, we may ALL have new rigs by then or need them just to stay semi-current.

computertalker
02-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Hilander
2 years means a LOT of new hardware on the market and in use, we may ALL have new rigs by then or need them just to stay semi-current.
For now a simple upgrade will work but in two years a major overhaul, so to speak, will probably cost more than a new computer.

Thanks Rama, for your comments too.

Hilander
02-01-2004, 06:05 AM
I have not been able to buy an off-the-shelf computer for more than 15 years, I have all of mine custom built so I get what *I* want and don;t have to "work around" some marketing geek's idea of what a "computer" should be. And they don't cost that much more my way and I know what I'm getting because the guy who puts it together is right near me.

Drooling Iguana
02-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by RaMa
TLJ-Next will have higher system requirements, but I though Ragnar had said that It'll run on a a good computer of today. So that'll be an average computer at the time the game's done.

Don't take my word for it, though. I couldn't find a quote :). A bit offtopic, but that was your 666th post, RaMa. Freaky.

RaMa
02-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Now that you mention in, I was in a kind of devilish mood ever since I posted that post... ;)

Hilander
02-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Drooling Iguana
A bit offtopic, but that was your 666th post, RaMa. Freaky.

How can you tell? The counter for me has stayed at 636 for several posts now - or do they only count NEW threads?

Hilander
02-01-2004, 09:16 PM
How about that. The extent this forum will go to make a liar out of me:)

Jazhara7
02-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I see 646 posts under your picture, Hilander...lol

...I guess that's what you meant by that second post...

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

esque
02-12-2004, 05:04 AM
I'm hoping the new TLJ wont require a special graphics card. I got one as a gift, I supposedly nice one too, and it nearly killed my computer becuse the fan in it broke (that's what the repair people told me).

RaMa
02-12-2004, 08:03 AM
I don't know if you'll need one, but you have plenty of time to buy one until the game's released :).

Hilander
02-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by RaMa
I don't know if you'll need one, but you have plenty of time to buy one until the game's released :).

I've read somewhere that the computer I buy today wiill be obsolete and need replacement in 2 years. At that rate, I might well be on my 3rd setup befpore TLJ-XXX comes out.

RaMa
02-12-2004, 03:57 PM
TLJ-XXX? It seems Ragnar wasn't joking about the bikini's in the interview with The Divide after all. :p

Hilander
02-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Could be an Idea, it has been a long time since Virtualk Valerie. But I just couldn't think of the appropriate designation for TLJ 2

Jazhara7
02-12-2004, 06:31 PM
*g*

LOL!

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D